Best/Favorite Offense and Defenses Topic

I just took over a bad San Diego State team and was wondering whether or not I should switch up the Off and Def. I took a look at the most common offenses and defenses at the D1 level across several worlds and Man/motion was the clear favorite. Flex/man and triangle/man were in second but it was very close. The other combinations were pretty low in numbers. I was thinking about man/motion. I also read something about running press to try and make big time programs go into their bench when they can really only go 8 or 9 deep. Any thoughts?
What offenses and defenses are your favorites at each or any level?
As a mid-major DI school, what do you guys think I should do?
12/8/2016 8:26 PM
I like zone at low D1 because you need less players.
12/8/2016 8:38 PM
I plan on being at San Diego St. for a long time so I will want something I can run against the top teams when I get my prestige high.
12/8/2016 9:03 PM
Here's an aspect I think 3.0 made much more interesting. I can't give you a solid answer, but some food for thought:

1. Triangle/Zone: This is what I switched both my D1 teams too (UConn and Maryland) when it was announced what 3.0 would be like and after some of the beta. The advantage to zone is that if you have a bad year and lose a few battles in recruting, you can run it with 8 guys. It also allows you to recruit ineligibles and guys that will redshirt without the short bench being an issue. Also, fewer teams run zone, so it gives you an advantage with that preference in recruiting. I like triangle with it because that is the best offense to hide some offensively weak players in (from my understanding). So I can recruit a few guys who can't score a lick (passing is nice to have) but are fantastic defender or rebounders. This will help with your zone. In other words, you can take a more one dimensional player than maybe you can in other offenses or defenses (especially that really good defender but poor offensive player).

2. Fastbreak/Press: I almost hopped back into Knight at low D1 this go around to try this. I know most will tell you not to do this, and I don't know if it will work, but if you look at the current landscape a lot of high level d1 teams are taking 1 - 2 walkons every year and playing man (or in some cases press). This combo would be the best to exploit this. It means that you always have to have a back-up option for battles in recruiting and may take some slightly weaker players, and you really can't take ineligibles or guys that need a redshirt, but the pay off is that you should have a big advantage against teams playing 9 guys. If you do this remember to recruit for stamina and free throw shooting as well as the normal cores. Also I think there would be some growing pains with this one until you figured it out, but might be worth it.

3. Flex/Press: This is what I use with my D3 team and I think they go well together. I like to run a true 3 guard line up with the extra guard at the small forward helping in both the press and in the flex, which values passing, speed, and perimeter. It also helps to put another shooter on the floor, especially if you have a traditional point guard that can't shoot it as well.

I think the main thing is be willing to learn and get comfortable with whatever you choose and learn how to recruit for whatever you choose. Good luck!
12/9/2016 8:14 AM
Very interesting thoughts, piman. Thanks!
12/9/2016 12:50 PM
in 2.0 and 3.0 there is no one best approach - you need to go with what fits your situation

it used to be that the smart play at Hawaii and some other isolated schools was zone - so one could fit anyone good who was gettable into the scheme

some coaches - like me - like to fill their roster. That pushes toward press options - if you can sustain that in 3.0 environment

scheme needs to fit your location and what you are good at in coaching
12/9/2016 1:44 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on Triangle/Press. I could focus on getting stud athletes designed for the press, and I'd only need to have 5 or 6 scoring options out of the 12. What are your thoughts?? I've narrowed it down to motion/man, triangle/press or flex/press.
12/10/2016 12:04 PM
What kind of minimums should I be looking for to run man successfully as far as ATH, SPD and DEF? Which is most important?
12/10/2016 12:34 PM
bk, triangle press should work similarly to triangle zone the way you describe it. The main thing will be to make sure you recruit and set your depth chart so you have some scoring and defending on the floor at all times.

mum, it depends on which division you are talking about. aejones' rule was for guards was you wanted the ath/speed to add up to 120 at D3 and 140 at D2. DI low level I would say 160 and upper level D1 180 (or as high as you can get). For bigs at D3 you want ath to be at least 60, D2 ath at least 70, low D1 ath of at least 80, high d1 ath of at least 90. Defense should have about the same numbers for any position, but you need to build a team that works well with each other. There is nothing wrong with getting a lower level defender if he can really score or run the point. If you have a weaker defender try to set your depth chart so you can optimize his ability to score and hurt you the least on the defensive end. In my opinion, ath and defense are the most important attributes in man to man defense. After that, speaking strictly defensively, you want speed for guards and shot blocking for bigs.
12/12/2016 2:11 PM
In my experience, an issue with triangle press is that press needs SPD and ATH to a degree that triangle doesnt. That combination pulls you in different recruiting directions, to a degree. It isnt bad, but I have found it somewhat an issue
12/12/2016 2:45 PM
One other thought - Fastbreak - Zone. These are the two least used offenses and defenses, so if there is a prospect out there that has both as preferences you have an advantage. I am using that at Hawaii, and it has helped me get a couple of players that I probably would not have gotten if they were preferring Man to man and Motion.
12/12/2016 5:13 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 12/12/2016 5:13:00 PM (view original):
One other thought - Fastbreak - Zone. These are the two least used offenses and defenses, so if there is a prospect out there that has both as preferences you have an advantage. I am using that at Hawaii, and it has helped me get a couple of players that I probably would not have gotten if they were preferring Man to man and Motion.
I am contemplating staying when this class that I just recruited hit upperclass in 2 seasons. To rebuild the team and learn the set of flex/zone the only two offense/defense I haven't used yet.
12/12/2016 5:35 PM
Posted by bk41129 on 12/8/2016 8:26:00 PM (view original):
I just took over a bad San Diego State team and was wondering whether or not I should switch up the Off and Def. I took a look at the most common offenses and defenses at the D1 level across several worlds and Man/motion was the clear favorite. Flex/man and triangle/man were in second but it was very close. The other combinations were pretty low in numbers. I was thinking about man/motion. I also read something about running press to try and make big time programs go into their bench when they can really only go 8 or 9 deep. Any thoughts?
hmm, my old answer would be, anything but man (offense barely matters - except fb). can't beat the big boys at their own game, not with all their built in advantages. but i have no idea in new HD if the big boys have built in advantages anymore? hell maybe the sd st team you took is an a+ elite in their own right. well, you did say mid major... my guess is still, you are better off going press or zone, press and focusing on depth, which would let you make more of the players you can get, or zone, where you can go for those studs who like zone against higher prestige teams, focus your money (or whatever its called now) on fewer players AND be able to better tolerate it when the RNG goes against you on winning a player - because you can run 8 men and still field a full team, if its the right 8.

in short, i'm sure the rationale behind playing press/zone and how you play them has changed at least slightly - but probably not enough to change the overall answer.
12/12/2016 6:38 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 12/12/2016 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bk41129 on 12/8/2016 8:26:00 PM (view original):
hmm, my old answer would be, anything but man (offense barely matters - except fb). can't beat the big boys at their own game, not with all their built in advantages. but i have no idea in new HD if the big boys have built in advantages anymore? hell maybe the sd st team you took is an a+ elite in their own right. well, you did say mid major... my guess is still, you are better off going press or zone, press and focusing on depth, which would let you make more of the players you can get, or zone, where you can go for those studs who like zone against higher prestige teams, focus your money (or whatever its called now) on fewer players AND be able to better tolerate it when the RNG goes against you on winning a player - because you can run 8 men and still field a full team, if its the right 8.

in short, i'm sure the rationale behind playing press/zone and how you play them has changed at least slightly - but probably not enough to change the overall answer.
No the fastbreak/press team doesn't have a advantage anymore only if they focus on recruting early and on time. I kinda had a beer today so excuse my mistakes. I was trying to forget what ninatic did to us (customers) today as the "MORE POKEMON" is Pichu, Togepi, and a limited edition Pikachu that I have 2 on the same day that it came out. I was hoping for legendaries today.
12/12/2016 6:49 PM
^^^ that!
12/12/2016 8:18 PM
12 Next ▸
Best/Favorite Offense and Defenses Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.