How important is work ethic in determining a player's growth? I an going after the player that has 6 greens but only a 5 work ethic. Problem?
12/9/2016 8:30 PM
He will never grow very far beyond what you see today. WE of 5 is way too low for improvement.

When I see a player in the single digits, I look at his current cores and if they are good enough now, I recruit him.
12/9/2016 8:32 PM
5 is on the cusp of improvement.....if you can start him for 4 years his WE will grow to like 10-12 and you'll probably see about 15-20 points of growth in the greens iver his career.
12/9/2016 8:40 PM
below about 15 you should evaluate him without giving effect to any growth - do you want him as he is right now? if so, then great, he will improve some but not much.

At 5, good chance that offseason regression offsets skills improvements the first season. Slow slow slow improvement.

BUT, such players can be great signings. Some folks dont even look at guys below a certain WE - I think it is wise to look at them.
12/9/2016 9:18 PM
I get really frustrated with players like that because they improve slightly during the season, but often get worse than they started by the time the off season happens. But, if you have a young team, and he's good now, he would be worth getting. He will probably still have all of that green when he is a senior.
12/9/2016 10:34 PM
Posted by mamxet on 12/9/2016 9:18:00 PM (view original):
below about 15 you should evaluate him without giving effect to any growth - do you want him as he is right now? if so, then great, he will improve some but not much.

At 5, good chance that offseason regression offsets skills improvements the first season. Slow slow slow improvement.

BUT, such players can be great signings. Some folks dont even look at guys below a certain WE - I think it is wise to look at them.
This is a valid point. If I don't consider the player as playable at his current level and he's under 15, I typically won't bother.
12/9/2016 10:42 PM
Another thing to watch out for with the low WE guy is the stamina. If Stam is important to your o/d (like if you're running fb/press) then be careful with low WE and low starting Stamina. They will typically lose a few points of St in the offseason which negates the growth. St is the most frustrating attribute in my opinion because you can lose it so easily.

So if he's 50 green St and has 10 WE, I wouldn't expect him to get much growth at the end of the day in that particular attribute.
12/10/2016 7:58 AM
Check out this player, Matthew Igo. I took over a team with a terrible roster, and he filled an immediate need for athleticism and defense. His Work Ethic was at 6 as a freshman.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/RatingsHistory.aspx?tid=8094&pid=3384994

If you look at his ratings history, it will give you an idea of his growth over 4 years. Had a lot of starts too.

His ratings when signed as a freshman were:
ATH: black 80.
SPD: green 70.
REB: blue 38.
DEF: black 92
SB: black 26.
LP: green 15.
PER: orange 59.
BH: black 79.
PASS: black 52.
12/10/2016 11:17 AM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.