Ballpark and Strategy Topic

Strategy suggestions appreciated:

So, we moved into our nice new shiny ballpark and apparently there were some zoning restrictions because it is cramped. 327 down the lines. We are +1 in singles, doubles, triples, LFH and +2 RFH.

Anyway, we have a plan but as they say all generals have a plan until they make contact with the enemy. The plan is to look for pitchers with a FB ratio of at least 60 and try for 70+. We also finally acquired an above average D SS to turn those DPs since I anticipate a lot of baserunners.

I know you can't have it all, so the plan is to concentrate on keeping the ball on the ground, being able to field the ball and also have pitchers with good control to limit additional baserunners. If they want to try to run themselves out of the big inning with H&R or SB in our smallish park, I am okay with that.

So, any veterans with suggestions on playing in a hitter's park. Did you just go offensive and try to win 7-6 etc,, or concentrate on defense and the limiting baserunners, etc.

Thanks.

12/13/2016 11:35 AM
Always concentrate on D. Saves your pitching.

You're on the right track. You're going to give up runs. Limit runners. But set your offense up to score also. Contact, as more hits will fall, is good. Don't load up with a lot of 22 con, 90 pow types. They can be effective but strikeouts are not your friend in that park.
12/13/2016 2:28 PM
What Mike T said. Let me add my two cents. If you can play 7 SS / defensive types, with a very good defensive catcher with decent bats / speed with a pitching staff that focuses on control, gb/fb and obviously L/R splits, you will be OK. To exaggerate a bit to make a point, a team full of Ozzie Smiths (Not Hal Laniers) , Ivan Rodriguez and Greg Maddux style pitchers will be fine. I know you wont find a staff of Madduxes (Madduxi?), but that should be the goal. As Mike T said, having a line-up full of Dave Kingmans is going to end in tears.

Namaste.

Dalai Lama
12/15/2016 7:24 AM
In general, do you prefer to play a catcher with PC of 70-80 and is a mediocre hitter, or would you prefer to play a catcher who has more offensive abilities but his PC is 50-60
12/23/2016 11:18 AM
There is no right answer. A lot depends on your team. If you're 7 strong in the AL, you can go D at a couple of spots(SS, CF or C). If your team is merely average in hitting, it's hard to give up the C spot to D even if you're a "D guy"(I think SS/CF are more important).

It's even tougher in the NL because you're already giving up a spot in the line-up to P. I usually have a strong hitting C with 50/60 PC and a back-up who's nothing more than a Def-C. Then I use my D-replacement settings to get him in the game when the time is right.
12/23/2016 11:32 AM
Mike, what settings do you use for def replacements? If I understand it right, if I set the run differential too high there is a chance they won't make it in the game. Too low and I leave the chance open for a late rally by the other team and several defensive first players in the game who don't hit well
12/28/2016 10:07 PM
It's always 2 runs. Depending on the OFFENSIVE skill of the D-reps and the players who won't be replaced it could be the 7th or 8th. If they can hit a little, 7th. If they're just D-rep level hitters, 8th.
12/28/2016 10:36 PM
Ballpark and Strategy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.