HOF predictions Topic

Who do you think gets in?

I'm guessing Raines, Bagwell, Hoffman.

I think Schilling loses ground even though he belongs. Apparently, being a huge ******* after retirement can cost you votes. Also, Wagner was better than Hoffman. If you're only going to vote for one relief pitcher on this ballot, Hoffman is the wrong choice.
12/15/2016 11:56 AM
Something tells me Schilling was an ******* well before retirement. His numbers put him in the really really good almost category, and ketchup on a sock doesn't push him over. ;)
I agree on the three going in.
My ballot would also include Larry Walker, Lee Smith, Gary Sheffield and McGriff.
12/15/2016 12:14 PM
Agree that Schilling has always been as *******. I think his numbers stack up well compared to the starting pitchers already in the hall.
12/15/2016 12:37 PM
Posted by dweezil on 12/15/2016 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Something tells me Schilling was an ******* well before retirement. His numbers put him in the really really good almost category, and ketchup on a sock doesn't push him over. ;)
I agree on the three going in.
My ballot would also include Larry Walker, Lee Smith, Gary Sheffield and McGriff.
Wait, you think Schilling isn't good enough but you'd vote for Lee Arthur Smith?

And yep I'd guess Schilling was a PITA long before he retired as well.
12/15/2016 12:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/15/2016 11:56:00 AM (view original):

I think Schilling loses ground even though he belongs. Apparently, being a huge ******* after retirement can cost you votes. Also, Wagner was better than Hoffman. If you're only going to vote for one relief pitcher on this ballot, Hoffman is the wrong choice.
All three make the HOF a bigger joke than it was.
12/15/2016 12:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/15/2016 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/15/2016 11:56:00 AM (view original):

All three make the HOF a bigger joke than it was.
Bitter old guy alert

You think the hall of fame should be something like 8 guys, total. Your opinion is worthless.
12/15/2016 1:09 PM
You think it should exclude about 8 guys, total. Your opinion is equally worthless if not more so.
12/15/2016 1:11 PM
Raines was a cokehead, Bagwell was a roider, Hoffman played in San Diego.

Until Bonds and Clemens (both MUCH BETTER roiders than Bagwell) are in, the Hall will remain a joke.
12/15/2016 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/15/2016 1:11:00 PM (view original):
You think it should exclude about 8 guys, total. Your opinion is equally worthless if not more so.
Nope. Most players don't belong.
12/15/2016 1:13 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/15/2016 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Correct. The three you mention fall in that group.

Good talk.
12/15/2016 1:54 PM
I'm glad we cleared that up.
12/15/2016 2:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/15/2016 1:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/15/2016 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Correct. The three you mention fall in that group.

Good talk.
I wouldn't vote for Hoffman. But Raines and Bagwell clearly belong based on the players already in at their positions.
12/15/2016 2:17 PM
While I'd like to say what follows will end any future HOF discussions between us, it won't. Nonetheless....

You always say "Based on players already in..."
I usually respond, if I bother, "Past mistakes don't impress me. I'm not making more based on that...."

I don't really care who is already in. Some were obvious mistakes, some I simply don't think are HOFers, some I'm sure are HOFers. But that doesn't matter. The standard for HOF for someone else is not my standard.

Raines and Bagwell were fantastic players. Raines in particular. But, if I start comparing him to other LF who I think are HOF-worthy, he's not gonna cut it. Bagwell, in another era, strolls into the HOF as a 1B. Unfortunately, he played in an era with PED users who did it better than him. He's not even close.

If I was inclined to start inducting 1 inning closers, I'd start with Rivera and then probably Wagner. Hoffman would deserve "serious consideration" but he falls just short. I think, soon enough, we'll have plenty of 1 inning RP to choose from.
12/15/2016 2:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/15/2016 2:57:00 PM (view original):
While I'd like to say what follows will end any future HOF discussions between us, it won't. Nonetheless....

You always say "Based on players already in..."
I usually respond, if I bother, "Past mistakes don't impress me. I'm not making more based on that...."

I don't really care who is already in. Some were obvious mistakes, some I simply don't think are HOFers, some I'm sure are HOFers. But that doesn't matter. The standard for HOF for someone else is not my standard.

Raines and Bagwell were fantastic players. Raines in particular. But, if I start comparing him to other LF who I think are HOF-worthy, he's not gonna cut it. Bagwell, in another era, strolls into the HOF as a 1B. Unfortunately, he played in an era with PED users who did it better than him. He's not even close.

If I was inclined to start inducting 1 inning closers, I'd start with Rivera and then probably Wagner. Hoffman would deserve "serious consideration" but he falls just short. I think, soon enough, we'll have plenty of 1 inning RP to choose from.
I'm not comparing Raines and Bagwell to past mistakes. I'm fairly certain I've said that six thousand times already.

No one is saying that Raines and Bagwell belong only because they are better than Rice and Cepeda. I'm saying when you look at the members of the hall at their position as a whole, those two clearly belong.

Raines compares very well to hall of hame corner outfielders. He was roughly as valuable as Tony Gwynn. Of the 20 or so LF in the hall, he's better than all but about 6 of them.

Bagwell is arguably a top 30 or 40 hitter of all time. I don't see how your hall could be so small that the 40th best hitter of all time doesn't deserve a spot.
12/15/2016 4:33 PM
Looking at the list of current LF hall of famers, how many would you rather have instead of Raines? Maybe 4? Williams, Henderson, Yaz...maybe Stargell or Al Simmons. I doubt anyone thinks only 4 left fielders belong when 19,000 people have played major league baseball.
12/15/2016 4:38 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
HOF predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.