HOF predictions Topic

Only 5 years til Jeff Mathis is eligible for Cooperstown!
12/19/2016 4:34 PM
Posted by edsortails on 12/19/2016 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure that until Mort Cooper gets in the rest of the Hall is senseless.
I'm pretty sure that until Bud Selig is taken out the rest of the Hall is senseless.
12/19/2016 6:03 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 12/19/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by edsortails on 12/19/2016 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure that until Mort Cooper gets in the rest of the Hall is senseless.
I'm pretty sure that until Bud Selig is taken out the rest of the Hall is senseless.
At very least, his inclusion should lift the "anti-steroid" stance against players
12/20/2016 9:42 AM
I don't understand the upwelling of anti-Selig sentiment. It shouldn't really even matter if you like him. In terms of shaping the game of baseball as we know it today, Bud Selig is easily in the top 10 most influential figures in the history of the sport. Maybe top 5. It's not just the play without a work stoppage. It's the total revitalization of the sport. When Selig took over, baseball was shrinking in popularity and attendance. Since he took over baseball has expanded. As much as people like to criticize him for allowing PEDs to go unchecked for so long, in the late '90s we were saying that the McGwire/Sosa HR race "saved" baseball. Maybe he just took the pragmatic viewpoint that baseball needed steroids at that time. Right after Selig became the acting commissioner the Orioles were sold for $173 million and they were supposed to be the most valuable franchise in the sport. Now, a little over 20 years later, the Rays are the least valuable franchise in baseball with an estimated valuation of $650 million. The Yankees are worth upwards of $3.5 billion. Baseball grew in value by an order of magnitude under Selig. He was also responsible for all of the following:

Interleague play
the Wildcard
the World Baseball Classic
consolidation of the administration of the 2 leagues
expansion from 2 to 3 divisions per league
instant replay
the Wildcard game

These are integral parts of the current baseball landscape. I realize that virtually all of these moves remain controversial in some circles. Some of them I don't necessarily love. But that doesn't change the fact that they are now all very significant and revolutionary changes. And perhaps most importantly of all, he oversaw the formation and growth of MLBAM. If you're not aware, in addition to supporting streaming through MLBTV, they have supported streaming for the PGA, the NHL, the World Cup, ESPN, HBO, WWE, Playstation Vue, etc. and is now valued at several billion dollars owned jointly by the MLB team owners (and 33% by Disney).

Regardless of whether you like the changes he made to baseball, you can't deny they were huge. The mere process of becoming a commissioner is more selective than HOF voting in the first place, so guys who reach that role have, in a sense, been vetted from day 1 for likely enshrinement. I believe most if not all commissioners to serve for any significant period of time belong in the Hall of Fame. You can't be commissioner for long without having a significant influence on the history of baseball. Selig's was bigger than most. No way he shouldn't have been in.
12/20/2016 2:48 PM
I think it's more about the hypocrisy for people. Steroid-users are vilified and, for the time being, kept out of the HOF, yet the commissioner who turned a blind eye to the steroid problem and even profited from it is inducted.
12/20/2016 4:27 PM
plus, he made a lot of money for the owners and that is mostly why he did anything he did (including turning a blind eye to steroid use). I doubt he did anything for the good of the game. It was for the good of the owners' pockets. I mean winner of the all star game gets home field advantage in the world series? Really? 99% of the guys playing in the all star game won't be in the world series.
12/20/2016 6:18 PM
You do realize the commissioner's job is to represent the owners, right?
12/20/2016 9:15 PM
Apparently he does not. Did you need to ask?
12/20/2016 9:29 PM
Yes, I realize that. He did it well, I guess. That doesn't mean he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, unless its the Hall of Fame for *** kissing toadies.
12/21/2016 2:20 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 12/21/2016 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I realize that. He did it well, I guess. That doesn't mean he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, unless its the Hall of Fame for *** kissing toadies.
There's a HOF for @$$-kissing toadies?
12/21/2016 3:13 PM
There should be!
12/21/2016 5:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11
HOF predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.