Aztec Invitational Topic

Projections
My projected final standings are:
1. New Mexico State (clear favorite in my opinion)
2. Cleveland State
3. San Diego State
4. Ohio
5. Notre Dame
6. Vanderbilt

I think New Mexico State and Cleveland State are both top dogs, then 2-5 are all very close.
2/3/2017 1:27 AM
Aztec Invitational 1st Night:

Ohio at San Diego State:
Overview:
These two teams are both in the process of a rebuild (well a straight up build for the Aztecs). There might be some 1st game jitters in this one, especially because these teams are both so young.

Players to Watch:
Ohio senior, Brent Hayes (PF)- averaged 12 ppg and 7 rebounds a game. The Aztecs will need to find a way to contain the senior post.
Sand Diego State junior, Christopher Gerald (PG)- the sharpshooter could have a big game if he can heat up from deep.

Vanderbilt at Notre Dame:
Overview:
Important game for the Fighting Irish to get off on the right foot in the tournament. This could be a slow-paced game due to the fact both teams don't have a deep bench.

Players to Watch:
Notre Dame junior, Matthew Gatling (PG)- the lone returning starter could have a big shooting night for the Irish.
Vanderbilt senior, Gregory Carey (PG)- Carey might be tasked with the job of guarding Gatling and will also have to provide some scoring as well.

Cleveland State at New Mexico State:
Overview:
This could be the matchup of the two best teams in the tournament who are squaring off in the 1st night. This game is definitely the game of the night in the Aztec Invitational. This game features two teams primed to make an appearance in the Big Dance.

Players to Watch:
Cleveland State junior, Robert Chubb (PF)- One of the best players in the tournament. Skilled post who can do it all.
New Mexico State junior, Gerardo Roman (SG)- The best shooter in the tournament will play a huge part in the game for the Aggies. The Spaniard could be fun to watch tonight.
2/3/2017 1:45 AM (edited)
Awesome previews! Good luck to everyone, this is going to be a lot of fun.
2/3/2017 7:08 AM
Ohio at San Diego State:
Overview:
These two teams are both in the process of a rebuild (well a straight up build for the Aztecs). There might be some 1st game jitters in this one, especially because these teams are both so young.

Players to Watch:
Ohio senior, Brent Hayes (PF)- averaged 12 ppg and 7 rebounds a game. The Aztecs will need to find a way to contain the senior post.
Sand Diego State junior, Christopher Gerald (PG)- the sharpshooter could have a big game if he can heat up from deep.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Bobcats spent too much time in the Gaslamp District, and blew a halftime lead to lose by 2. Indeed SDST's Gerald had a huge game from the perimeter, while OU's Haynes disappointed with only 10 points.

Good game bk!
2/3/2017 7:18 AM
We'll offer your Bobcats a nice soft landing in Game 2 if our opening night performance was any indication of how we're going to play.
2/3/2017 12:06 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 2/3/2017 7:18:00 AM (view original):
Ohio at San Diego State:
Overview:

Players to Watch:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Bobcats spent too much time in the Gaslamp District, and blew a halftime lead to lose by 2. Indeed SDST's Gerald had a huge game from the perimeter, while OU's Haynes disappointed with only 10 points.

Good game bk!
Great game hypnotoad! I wasn't at all surprised by the fact that it was a close one.
2/3/2017 1:13 PM
Night 1 Recaps:

Ohio at San Diego State:
Despite the 6 point half-time lead the Bobcats weren't able to pull off the win on the road. Ohio's senior power forward, Brent Hayes, had 8 first half points, but only was able to muster 2 2nd half points. True freshman, Christopher Helton, was tasked with the responsibility of stopping the Ohio big man. "Helton did a phenomenal job on Hayes in the 2nd half. I was very pleased with his performance, especially as a freshman," said SDSU coach bk41129. The contest was back and forth early but the Bobcats seemed to be pulling away at the start of the 2nd half. Ohio had a 13 point lead (the game's biggest lead) coming at the 14:38 mark off of a jump hook by Leonard Totten. However, the Aztecs rallied quickly by going on a 8-0 run in the span of a minute. San Diego State finally took the lead with a Christopher Gerald 3 with 6 minutes to go. The game was back and forth the rest of the way. With 22 seconds to go, Ohio down 2 (61-63), the Bobcats got a huge stop and quickly transitioned down the floor. With 14 seconds on the clock, Leonard Totten hit a pull-up jumper to tie the ball game at 63 a piece. This didn't seem to phase the Aztecs as they quickly pushed the ball down the floor. All eyes were on point guard, Christopher Gerald, who had been lighting it up to that point with 22 points. Instead, Gerald found an open teammate, Bradley Corchado, who nailed the game-winning jumpshot with 5 seconds on the clock. Ohio called a TO and set up a play for their big guy, Brent Hayes. The Bobcats got the look they wanted, but Hayes was unable to hit the floater near the basket.

SDSU 65, Ohio 63

Player of the Game:
Christopher Gerald (Senior PG)
Gerald finished with 22 points, 18 of which came from 3's (6-13). Gerald also had 4 rebounds and 2 assists, including the game winning assist.

Vanderbilt at Notre Dame:
This game ended up being the game of the night after a closely fought overtime battle between the two squads. Big time recruit, Sean Hassel, stepped up and led his team to the W. Despite just being a freshman, the small forward went off for
23 points and 8 rebounds. The Irish were in desperate need of his play. Notre Dame trailed the Commodores by 4 at half. The contest was back and forth the whole way. No team really pulling away from the other. After two made free throws by Notre Dame's Michael Gorman, Vanderbilt was down 3 with 11 seconds to go. Vanderbilt's leader, Gregory Carey, was having a rough shooting night heading into the final seconds of regulation. Carey didn't let his off night stop him. The senior nailed a 3 point shot from the left corner to tie with 5 seconds remaining. The Irish had a shot to end it into overtime, but the attempt was swatted away by Vanderbilt freshman, Jeffrey Cullum. This sent the game into OT. The Commodores seemed to have all the momentum heading into OT, but Notre Dame was able to hit just enough free throws to finish the deal. Sean Hassel had 5 points in OT to lead his team to the win. The Irish struggled at the line, shooting 58% (17-29) which almost cost them the victory. Nonetheless, the Irish start off 1-0 in tournament play with a 66-62 victory over Vanderbilt.

ND 66, Vanderbilt 62

Player of the game:
Sean Hassel (Freshman SF)
The highly recruited freshman from Tolono, IL was huge in the Irish's win over Vanderbilt. Hassel may be a guy Notre Dame will have to go to for scoring. Hassel finished the game with 23 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists. He scored 5 of his teams 6 in OT to get the win.
2/3/2017 2:35 PM (edited)
Couple of notes:
I've sent requests for next year to teams that I am hosting.
My team is a bad combination of no talent and little to no idea what I'm doing (or maybe the other way around). So sorry about the weak SOS.
2/4/2017 9:46 AM
I think I screwed up. For some reason I'm playing Davidson in my 3rd game not, Vanderbilt. My bad!
2/4/2017 10:12 AM
Posted by Benis on 2/4/2017 10:12:00 AM (view original):
I think I screwed up. For some reason I'm playing Davidson in my 3rd game not, Vanderbilt. My bad!
Well Davidson will take there spot... Haha. This is quite the predicament...
2/4/2017 12:25 PM
BREAKING NEWS:
Okay under some odd circumstances.... Davidson takes Vanderbilt's spot in playing against the tournament favorite, New Mexico State. The Commodores will get the W/L so they are going to be rooting for the Flyers in tonight's match up.
2/4/2017 12:27 PM
I had some things come up so I've been a bit late to post but I'll get on game recaps up here ASAP!
2/4/2017 2:18 PM
Posted by bk41129 on 2/4/2017 2:18:00 PM (view original):
I had some things come up so I've been a bit late to post but I'll get on game recaps up here ASAP!
+1

Last game tonight. Great round robin tourney guys. I'm losing a ton next season so a repeat might be super difficult.
2/6/2017 10:22 AM
Posted by Benis on 2/6/2017 10:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bk41129 on 2/4/2017 2:18:00 PM (view original):
+1

Last game tonight. Great round robin tourney guys. I'm losing a ton next season so a repeat might be super difficult.
Nice game Benis; I didn't get blown out so I'm sort of happy about that.
2/6/2017 10:41 AM
Solid PG play from Byers- 10 ast 0 turnovers
2/7/2017 8:57 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Aztec Invitational Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.