Dadbod=TrentonJoe
1/6/2017 10:04 PM
Posted by dadbod on 1/6/2017 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Dadbod=TrentonJoe
Makes sense! Hi!
1/6/2017 10:07 PM
I am also doing this with my Messiah team in Crum (only recruit projected D3 players). But so far have only recruited once. After 4 years, we can see the real results.
1/8/2017 11:41 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 1/8/2017 11:42:00 AM (view original):
I am also doing this with my Messiah team in Crum (only recruit projected D3 players). But so far have only recruited once. After 4 years, we can see the real results.
Interesting, what's the potential like on those two guards?
1/8/2017 12:14 PM
Posted by mbriese on 1/8/2017 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 1/8/2017 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Interesting, what's the potential like on those two guards?
LINK

I don't have any Seniors, but I am considering cutting Gregory Johnson and Leroy Brown to be able to recruit 2.

Here are my Projections of all the players, though Kohan and Draper might not reach their full scores due to WE. And I might keep Brown and switch him to SF and only cut Johnson.
1/8/2017 12:46 PM (edited)
Fun thread to watch--thanks for sharing the experiment!
1/8/2017 2:19 PM
The one advantage you will get out of this is I highly doubt there are going to be a lot of battles. If there is a potential DIII stud, you will likely get him uncontested.
1/8/2017 3:07 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/8/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):
The one advantage you will get out of this is I highly doubt there are going to be a lot of battles. If there is a potential DIII stud, you will likely get him uncontested.
This is my thinking as well. I imagine you will likely be recruiting against D3 sims most of the time which isn't much issue.

One thing that is a little 'odd' is that it's more difficult, in a way, to scout for D3 than D2. Since your budget is limited, you need to use your money wisely and try to get as many players to level 3 as possible. There are more players with D3 designation than D2 or D1. So increasing the pool makes it more costly to use various methods. Here's what I mean.

Let's say you're a D3 school in Philadelphia. You do your home camp and then scout the surrounding states. Let's say you just do NY, PA, NJ. Using the numbers in Iba right now, it'd cost $3,360 to do those 3 states for D3. It'd only cost $1,725 to do those states for D2.

So basically you need to spend more money to do these steps and I'm not sure you're going to get more players from these 'home states' during your home camp whether you do D2 vs D3 but maybe you will, I'm not sure. i.e. can you get more players to level 3 with the same amount of money if you're going for D2 vs D3. Or does it not really matter?

But not to mention, a big majority of these players that you are scouting at D3 are going to be just horrible recruit generation and not worthy of your spot on your roster so it's almost like you're throwing your money away.

Bottom line, it seems to me like it's more costly to scout for D3 players. But I could be wrong, I dunno.
1/8/2017 3:26 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/8/2017 3:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/8/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):
This is my thinking as well. I imagine you will likely be recruiting against D3 sims most of the time which isn't much issue.

One thing that is a little 'odd' is that it's more difficult, in a way, to scout for D3 than D2. Since your budget is limited, you need to use your money wisely and try to get as many players to level 3 as possible. There are more players with D3 designation than D2 or D1. So increasing the pool makes it more costly to use various methods. Here's what I mean.

Let's say you're a D3 school in Philadelphia. You do your home camp and then scout the surrounding states. Let's say you just do NY, PA, NJ. Using the numbers in Iba right now, it'd cost $3,360 to do those 3 states for D3. It'd only cost $1,725 to do those states for D2.

So basically you need to spend more money to do these steps and I'm not sure you're going to get more players from these 'home states' during your home camp whether you do D2 vs D3 but maybe you will, I'm not sure. i.e. can you get more players to level 3 with the same amount of money if you're going for D2 vs D3. Or does it not really matter?

But not to mention, a big majority of these players that you are scouting at D3 are going to be just horrible recruit generation and not worthy of your spot on your roster so it's almost like you're throwing your money away.

Bottom line, it seems to me like it's more costly to scout for D3 players. But I could be wrong, I dunno.
Basically you're praying and wishing that DIII provides you some gems while scouting, because otherwise, you won't have the money to scout higher levels and if all you get is scrubs scouted at DIII, you won't have anyone to recruit.
1/8/2017 6:35 PM
You don't need to pray, ponch. They are there. Being able to find them is another thing.....
1/8/2017 6:45 PM
Lacking scouting money Trenton?
1/8/2017 7:04 PM
The money is quite limited, yes.
1/8/2017 7:25 PM
Yeah, the money is tight for scouting. But is should be!
1/8/2017 8:07 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/8/2017 6:45:00 PM (view original):
You don't need to pray, ponch. They are there. Being able to find them is another thing.....
That's kind of what I meant TJ. I'll give an example of my experiences. In 2.0, I used to recruit 3-4 mid populated states with my DIII team. In these 3-4 states, I was fortunate if I could find more than 4-5 players out of roughly150-200 maybe that I thought would contribute at any point in their career. Now realistically, there may have been 8-9, but some would be significantly flawed in some category. Of course these guys would always lead to a DIII battle since pickings were slim, and it was actually worth it to wait to see what drops from DII.

In your case, yes they are out there, but are you stating they are there on a larger search area? Or are you staying within your 4-500 mile radius? I think all over, yes they are there, and due to less people actively looking at DIII, they will not be difficult to pull in. It's just going to be difficult to uncover enough of them to a useful level of information through scouting, because there are going to be a lot more to scout.
1/9/2017 12:24 AM
It becomes a exercise in how to spend money most efficiently.

I want to run the #'s and see if it's more efficient to just use assistant searches and scout by position, as opposed to scouting states and camps. I tend to sign more PG's and C's for my zone teams so I might be able to save a few dollars using that approach.
1/9/2017 9:32 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.