Mid Major winning Championship? Topic

As much as I'd like to win the title in Knight with my Kansas team, I would not mind if BakerBarnett's Memphis team won it all. They are currently ranked #1 and undefeated. I think this is one of the upsides of 3.0 is that a team like that has a legitimate shot. He out recruited me for a guy last year, and his team is championship caliber. St. Joseph's is also in the top 10 and undefeated, and ranked #7.
12/18/2016 1:41 PM (edited)
Tark?
12/18/2016 1:38 PM
Posted by zorzii on 12/18/2016 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Tark?
oops - meant Knight - I have too many teams obviously - I just fixed the title and my post.
12/18/2016 1:40 PM
I saw you win in Tark! I was like : dang...
12/18/2016 1:41 PM
Well, my undefeated Kansas team got knocked out in the second round, so I am all in for cheering for Memphis, who is still undefeated, and in the Elite 8, and ranked #1. Would love to see this in 3.0. Barker has put together an amazing team.
12/25/2016 7:31 AM
Memphis went 0-8 in the last two minutes and lost 87-85.
12/25/2016 5:55 PM
yeah it was a pretty brutal OT loss in a game we only trailed for the final 22 seconds of OT
12/25/2016 7:40 PM
What a shame - hope I didn't jinx them. Tough loss Baker. I do think it's going to happen though at some point pretty soon. There is definitely more parity now.
12/25/2016 10:33 PM
I'm new to the league any pointers?
1/15/2017 9:54 PM
Posted by Indianajoinz on 1/15/2017 9:54:00 PM (view original):
I'm new to the league any pointers?
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=499058
1/15/2017 10:21 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 12/18/2016 1:41:00 PM (view original):
As much as I'd like to win the title in Knight with my Kansas team, I would not mind if BakerBarnett's Memphis team won it all. They are currently ranked #1 and undefeated. I think this is one of the upsides of 3.0 is that a team like that has a legitimate shot. He out recruited me for a guy last year, and his team is championship caliber. St. Joseph's is also in the top 10 and undefeated, and ranked #7.
It was completely doable in 2.0. Marshall had an amazing run in Rupp just a while back. In fact, CUSA was the no. 1 RPI conference for a long time. It is a straight myth that mid majors couldn't compete for titles in 2.0.
1/16/2017 12:10 PM
Posted by jpmills3 on 1/16/2017 12:10:00 PM (view original):
It was completely doable in 2.0. Marshall had an amazing run in Rupp just a while back. In fact, CUSA was the no. 1 RPI conference for a long time. It is a straight myth that mid majors couldn't compete for titles in 2.0.
THAT is incredibly disingenuous. Could it happen?, yeah, if you were Girt or Billy. For us regular, run of the mill, good owners it was somewhere between incredibly hard and impossible.

In a nut shell, if you were awesome, like best ever level awesome, and had help from 5-6 other regular awesome guys it was totally doable.

Only the Sith speak in absolutes.....
1/16/2017 12:59 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/16/2017 12:59:00 PM (view original):
THAT is incredibly disingenuous. Could it happen?, yeah, if you were Girt or Billy. For us regular, run of the mill, good owners it was somewhere between incredibly hard and impossible.

In a nut shell, if you were awesome, like best ever level awesome, and had help from 5-6 other regular awesome guys it was totally doable.

Exhibit B then. Yes, jd is an all timer, but it was basically just me and him in this conference, which negates your second point.

His team was stacked enough make the tourney two years following him leaving.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=4369
1/16/2017 4:34 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/16/2017 12:59:00 PM (view original):

Why do "regular" and "run of the mill" players deserve to win titles anyway?
1/16/2017 4:41 PM
You forgot the next word after "run of the mill".

D1 was set up so it was nearly impossible to break into the elite. It wasn't anything close to an even playing field. I am not saying it has to be a level playing field and people shouldn't be rewarded for success but it was extreme. To make a claim that it was"completely doable" is one of those statements that is literally correct but certainly a touch misleading. And by a touch I mean a lot.

Do you remember Rupp when Jake Marley was at St. Johns? He basically signed the best 5 players from like VA north every year. No one ever challenged him, he staked his, then UCONN and UNC staked their claim, and then it trickled down. D1 was a huge bore and the same 10 players reaped the rewards every season (the second part is an exaggeration but not by much). I was in the IVY in Rupp when Dartmouth went to the Elite 8 like 3 times in 5 or 6 years. He got to a B+. He was a great coach, he couldn't pull it off. Dig around and find an example of someone other than Girt who won a NT (someone did but I don't remember) at a midmajor in 3.0. That would more or less give you 2 in 500+ seasons.
1/16/2017 6:43 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Mid Major winning Championship? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.