I offered my first round pick less than his demands because I didn't have the $$ to offer his asking price. He rejected the offer. I've since made trades and can meet his demands. However, it seems I can't negotiate with him anymore. Why not? And, if not, am I going to get a compensation pick next season?
12/20/2016 12:46 AM
Find the initial email for that prospect. Should read Prospect Negotiations RE: Prospect Name

Click on the double arrow button for your specific prospect's email. Will take you to the negotiation page. If you deleted the email you are SOL.

You also won't get a comp pick since you did not meet his initial demand.
12/20/2016 2:46 AM
So I can't negotiate any more with a draft pick because I deleted an email? Wow. That's not ridiculous at all...
12/20/2016 10:55 AM
While I agree with you, it's hard to sympathize when you spent most of your prospect budget on IFA's. First rule of prospects: always have enough to sign your draftees.

This is one of those 1st season mistakes that literally every new owner makes 2 or 3 of. Sometimes repeatedly before they learn. At least it wasn't a top 10 pick.

Another first year mistake, throwing away $3M here and there on IFA's. Those guys rarely make the bigs. But that is another lesson you'll come to learn in the following seasons. These are the things that make playing this game rewarding IMHO - overcoming the steep learning curve. Keep asking questions, I'm still learning new things or revising previous assumptions all the time with this game.
12/20/2016 11:30 AM (edited)
Wow. Wasn't anticipating all the misinformed condescension. For the record: 1) I'm not a first year player. 2) I signed all the IFAs because I took over an organization devoid of talent at all levels. I needed bodies to restock throughout. I don't need them to be big leaguers (though a couple of them are gonna be and we're relative bargains). Judging by the relative success of my minor league teams in my first season in this league, I've done a pretty good job of rebuilding the organization already. I play the whole game, not just the major league level. 3) I never wanted to sign my first round pick. I wanted the compensation pick. It likely would have been more valuable than the player the AI drafted for me, which was a bitter disappointment. One-dimensional and defensively limited. I asked the question because there's nothing in the rules that says the first offer has to be full price or you lose the ability to negotiate further and, subsequently, qualify for the compensation pick if he doesn't sign. If I had known, I would have waited until (or if) I could afford to make the qualifying offer. It was much more important to me to add players, including all those other draft picks I had in the supplemental round that are having great seasons in rookie league. I appreciate advice and input as much as anyone. I could do without the condescension, though. There's always stuff to learn. However, I do know what I'm doing. I don't know the unwritten nuances of the rules. Hence the original question...
12/20/2016 9:43 PM
Posted by COBearDown on 12/20/2016 10:55:00 AM (view original):
So I can't negotiate any more with a draft pick because I deleted an email? Wow. That's not ridiculous at all...
Actually, the ability to negotiate via the email link with a prospect who has given you a hard rejection is a bug. You shouldn't be able to do it.
12/20/2016 10:13 PM
If it was a real bug, I'd pay you a dollar to eat it.
12/20/2016 10:41 PM
This is why we can't keep new owners.
12/21/2016 11:04 AM
Because I'd give tec a dollar to eat a bug?

I don't think that's it.
12/21/2016 11:22 AM
you should offer all the new owners a dollar to eat a bug, Mike.
12/21/2016 2:19 PM
I'm not sure why someone would offer a draft pick less than their demands anyway. Is a lesser offer ever accepted in this game?
12/21/2016 3:56 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.