Forum "Search" Function Topic

Please, for the love of all that is holy..... provide a decent search function for the forums. The existing "Advanced Search" is *extremely* limited in its ability and functionality, and the results output is most often ambiguous and unhelpful.

The best I can tell, entering multiple words is essentially an "OR" search (search for "free throw" [not in quotes]) and your results are threads that contain the word "free", threads that contain the word "throw", and threads that contain both words.

Boolean operators (e.g. AND, OR, NOT), which are a common/standard feature across the web and in desktop software, are currently not supported in searches. Boolean modifiers (e.g. asterisks, quotation marks, parentheses) are also disregarded by the current search function. These are things that modern search functions should accept and use.

Probably the biggest annoyance, however, is the "search results." All you get are links to threads (and the threads' number of posts/pages/views and last post). Even if the search location is to search in "Post", you just get thread links. There is no indication of *where* in the thread (i.e. which specific post) the search criteria appeared. If there is a thread that is 20 pages long, have fun clicking through every page to find the word you're looking for. In addition, the search results page lists a separate line (with thread title/link) for each and every instance of each of the search criteria that appear in a thread. For example, if you search again for "free throw", and those words appear in one long thread 12 times, the search results will list that same thread 12 times.

Hopefully something can be done about this inadequate and frustrating search function. It has been like this since I joined WIS 13 years ago, and it needs to be updated. Badly.

Thank you.
12/21/2016 3:55 PM
Forum "Search" Function Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.