ODL 63 Roster and Commentary Topic

to whom it may concern, i'm using:
60-61 Oscar (took me a while to find it, but his medium-sized usage was attractive given some of his flaws)
68-69 Walt
93-94 Buck
& the usual seasons for the other three guys
1/1/2017 11:56 AM
Posted by copernicus on 1/1/2017 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cjok1051 on 12/31/2016 12:20:00 PM (view original):
What did you realize???^
that Amare had dropped several rounds (just couldn't make the $$ work)
I was trying hard to make it work but between him Gobert and Howard I would have had a few unused minutes using his best season. He has a few other good seasons but none were quite worth it for me
1/1/2017 12:57 PM
I caved in. LOL Sitting at home on a rainy day, watching not very exciting football games, so I decided to do some early evals... They're pretty basic, and pretty boring at this point.... I know... I'll add more of my opinions once we get into the 6th round- but here's a start, at least

1. dh555- Wilt Chamberlain, Derek Harper, Klay Thompson, Amare, JR Smith, Jeff Ruland, Birdman
The clear favorite at first glance... DH said he was short on mins- which kinda makes the 6th confusing. Both players drafted are fairly costly/min- relatively..But Birdman is a great fit. Ruland's assists nice considering that WIlt is the only passer drafted other than Harper.... Bottom line is that if there are enough minutes, this team will contend to a title- but they may run out of steam when it comes down the stretch

2. copernicus- Lebron James, Manu Ginobli, Andre Drummond, Emeka Okafor, A Sabonis, M Chalmers, Boris Diaw
It looks like this team will be great offensively and on the boards. D won't be great, but shouldn't be too much of a negative. Should be a contender depending on the rest of the roster- there's still 1 position not addressed as of yet...Chalmers & Diaw are pretty good additions considering the makeup of the team. Less than stellar frontcourt D and TOs could be the downfall of this team if they face the wrong matchup in the playoffs, but I foresee I deep run for Copernicus

3. thomcat- Stephen Curry, Bob McAdoo, Tyson Chandler, Dana Barros, J Przybilla, Jordan Hill, Bruce Bowen
Great EFG. Lots of 3s. 3 decent defensive players. The 3 man could pull it all together or screw things up if it isn't the right type of player. We'll see. A little confused by the Przybilla pick. I'm down with him being a relatively cheap, great rebounding back-up to Chandler- but I'm going to assume he'd be available in the 6th, and obviously there is no SF on the team yet....... If Przbybilla was the guy you had to have, then so be it- I won the title last season without even drafting my starting SF... So- it can be done... Looks like salary/minutes got the best of this squad... Personally- I probably would have toyed with using a cheaper Chandler to try to do better than Bowen- or (blasphemy) toyed with using 14-15 Steph... I won jhsukow's 4th round clone league the with 14-15 Steph before the 15-16 just before the 15-16 players were available.. And made the finals in the DH $52 league with 14-15 the last season of that league before the 15-16 players... The bigs you have rebound well- you have to hope that they do monster work on the glass for this team to be viable, imo- but I think that is possible... Less than stellar backcourt D won't help things.. I can't rule this team out of the playoffs, but a deep run is not likely.

y
sw128- Moses Malone, Dikembe Mutombo, Elton Brand, Nate McMillan, Jamaal Tinsley, Gortat, Greg Oden
Great on D and will outrebound most opponents. Pretty good EFG too. Sounds like a winner.... Not much has changed since that original assessment. Tinsley, Gortat, & Oden add solid depth- Without looking at the numbers and just using my memory of the database- I see a lot of fouls here- but I could be mistaken... There are a lot of undrafted guard minutes, and how those are filled will determine the ultimate outcome of this team.. I know of a perfect fit still out there- but I doubt he will fit salary-wise- But I'm not positive... I think this team will challenge for a title- unless there are salary/minute issues- which is certainly possible....

5. jt7king- Michael Jordan, Bill Walton, Donyell Marshall, Kevin Johnson, Kris Humphries, Jordan Farmar, Swen Nater
I like Walton & Marshall to go with MJ. One of the best 2nd/3rd round drafts from an MJ owner.. Not thrilled about KJ. I know he's solid- but I just don't think that was the best route to go. KJ was probably the perfect man for the job considering team needs and draft position. Interested in seeing the rest of this team. Kris Humphries was a great pick. He's underrated in this league, imo. His addition makes this a team a title contender, most likely.. Again- my original assessment still stands.. Not a fan of Swen's weak D... Jordan & Marshall save what could otherwise be a TO heavy team- just nitpicking- Farmar adds needed 3s- I see a conference finals in this teams future and possibly a ring for JT.

6. Mikee1- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Deron Wiliams, Shawn Kemp, AK47, Jason Terry, Damon Jones, Reggie Evans
I don't like the chemistry of this squad. Love KAJ. He offers a lot of positives... I like the rest of the guys individually (depending on the season used and the teams around them)- but I don't think they fit very well together. I see a lot of flaws/needs that I'm not sure can be addressed at this point.... I'm going to predict that this team misses the playoffs- just barely.... I'm assuming Jones and Evans were money-savers.. Love Reggie's rebounding- as far as I remember- that's about all to love- or even like. Loved him AND Damon in RL- but this ain't RL. I'm still saying this team hovers around .500

7. bds9992- Oscar Robertson, Alonzo Mourning, Walt Frazier, Chris Webber, Buck Williams, Cory Alexander, Tarpley
Kinda confused about using 60-61 Oscar in all honesty, but lower cost/min than some of the others, which is probably needed...and he helps make up for the fact that Zo & Webber aren't strong Defensive Rebounders... Hard team for me to judge. Probably not much money left for a decent bench. Fringe playoff team. This team may run out of minutes.. Not many 3s here that I see... If this team makes the playoffs, it won't go deep

8. cjok1051- Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Kyrie Irving, Mark Jackson, Dalemert, Danny Green, Cole Alcrich
Copernicus said it well..... "Not Worth It"- Charles was probably the wrong guy- Shaq was still available.... Then I think the Gs were the wrong guys... Considering your 1st round picks both have high ast% for their positions, I feel like you could have gone with more D & efficiency at G instead of paying for the assists. There's 1 particular undrafted player I would have gone with instead. Dalembert was the obvious pick here. That's who I would have taken. Green is a nice pick- I might have gone with a G that could switch to PG on D though. I can think of 1 guy in particular that went undrafted. The 5 undrafted guys need to be very solid for this team to work- I'm thinking this team finishes close to .500

9. jcred5- Shaquille O'Neal, Terry Porter, Shawn Marion, J Calderon, Omar Asik, Faried, Sam Cassell
Calderon is solid, I just wish his D were better- He, paired with Porter, make-up one of the worst backcourt Ds. Shaq is awesome. Marion is solid but underwhelming. I need to see who else will be added to this team. EFG will be among the league leaders. Faried is a beast. Cassell is a solid backup. This team will be involed in some high scoring games, but they may be on the short end of the stick more than they'd like. They will matchup bad against several teams, I think.

10. bkbillups- Dennis Rodman, Bill Russell, Ray Allen, Dirk Nowitzki, Jameer Nelson, Tony Parker, R Beaubois
This team will probably miss the play-offs.... You stole Jameer Nelson from me bc I said you'd miss the playoffs....... Didn't you?!?! They Frogs in the 6th can fill the bucket- but they won't help you get out of the lottery

11. jhsukow- Kevin Garnett, Gary Payton, Joakim Noah,Tom Boerwinkle, Wes Unseld, Paul George, Troy Murphy
Lots of assists..... Lots of Defensive rebounding......... Lots of good defensive players....... Why am I not loving this team???? Just not felling it Sukow....

12. beachhouse- Kevin Durant, Hassan Whiteside, Patrick Ewing, Rajon Rondo, Enes Kanter Greg Anthony, Adrian Dantley
Wondering which KD & AD Beach goes with. Anthony is a nice backup. A solid defensive team, other than Enes, but that can be cover- He offers a nice offensive punch. I've come around some to this team, but I think TOs may be the down fall. Beachhouse may make the playoffs in his last ODL, but he probably won't win a ring

13. ashamael- Chris Paul, Artis Gilmore, Tracy McGrady, Andrew Bogut, George Hill, Michael Smith, Boban Marjanovic
Michael Smith was the perfect 6th rnd pick for this team, and I'm sure Boban broke some hearts... Another solid team from Ash. No glaring flaws as usual. If I'm guess right on the seasons Ash is using, there's still quit a few mins to be filled. I'm not sure how much cash he has in his pocket, but if he can fill those minutes to his standards, CP3 is looking at back to back finals runs.

14. benhoidal- Dwight Howard, Kawhi Leonard, Rudy Gobert, Brent Barry, Marvin Williams, Michael Redd,, Toni Kukoc
Great starting D and rebounding, combined with high EFG will win a lot of games. The team looks short on assist from what I can see. I'm assuming the PG version Barry will be used, but that's for only about half the game... Quite a few undrafted minutes, make this team- like ASh's a little harder to eval than iy should appear... If there's enough money and it is spent well to get enough minutes- then this team will be hard to beat and make a run in the playoffs

15. milest- Larry Bird, Chauncey Billups, Larry Sanders!, Andrew Bynum, Charlie Edge, Tim Hardaway, Jonas Valanciunas
Another team with what looks like quite a few undrafted minutes. Luckily- I know how they are filled her. Ha... A solid D/Dreb% will be manning most of the minutes at the 4. Sanders will play mostly at the 3. With Bird at the 2, this team will rebound well. Billups is a nice complement to Bird and Hardaway adds needed 3s and backup ast% to Billups. Bynum & Valanciunas need to score 26 ppg. Solid D, Solid rebounding. Decent EFG This team won't force many TOs, I don't think...I expect to make the playoffs and I hope to wins when I get there

16. 666ace- Magic Johnson, Marcus Camby, Horace Grant, Bo Outlaw, Dominique Wilkins, Baron Davis, Kevin Porter
Confusing team..... I;m wondering what Kevin Porter Ace is using... That could make a big difference.. All of them are flawed, but some worse than others. A few of them fit well here... And he's cheap... I just don't see the right chemistry for this team. No playoffs for Ace & Magic

17. coachcroft- John Stockton, Hakeem Olajuwon, Serge Ibaka, Jerry West, Brandan Wright, Ed Davis, Carmelo Anthony
Not sure how much salary is left, but the perfect guy to fill the rest of the 4 minutes is out there. If the money is there and spent right- it can make this team hard to beat. This may be one of the defensive teams out there, and the EFG will be enough to win a lot of games. I think this team could make the playoffs, but I don't think they will make finals

18. rjk2781- Jason Kidd, Mookie Blaylock, Kobe Bryant, Gerald Wallace, Mark Eaton, Pau Gasol, Shawn Bradley
.Good thing Kidd boards well... Waiting on bigs may be a good strategy... But big guys that don't have big flaws are hard to find late .... This will be a good defensive team, but I don't think they are good enough on offensive to do much damage. No playoffs

19. jkaye24- David Robinson, Julius Erving, Clifford Ray, Charlie Ward, Ryan Anderson, Jamario Moon, Al Horford
It can be difficult to build a team around a 10M 1st round pick... Even harder when Dr J is the 2nd round pick. Not a fan of the Dr in this league in general, but I can see this team working. Ward and Anderson are good fits, Moon has his place, and Horford is the best 11-12 min high usage frontcourt player in the biz. The overall D is great, with 2 100 rated dudes, plus Ward & Moon... Anderson could get abused by the few teams that have a scorer at the 3, but that shouldn't be a huge issue overall. This team is playoff bound and will be difficult for any team to matchup with. Wouldn't be surprised to see a deep run.

20. scudmissle- Dwayne Wade, Steve Nash, Jerry Lucas, Bobby Jones, AC Green, Charles Oakley, Jrue Holiday
ODL teams with Wade typically do well. ODL teams with Nash typically do well. Lucas is a beast on the boards and offers some assists & solid EFG. Jones is a great defender and offers some assists- I see some obvious needs to be filled- not sure if the right guys to fill them still exist on the draft board. Jrue Holiday is underrated- He fills a lot of needs & is the best defensive player with a similar skill set at that minute range. Low TOs is another good thing about him considering some of the other players on the roster can be reckless at times. AC is solid and Oak should help clean the defensive glass.... I think the team makes the playoffs, but probably a 1st or 2nd round exist

21. midzim- Tim Duncan, Scottie Pippen, Marques Johnson, Mark Price, Bismack Biyombo, Anderson Varajao, Kyle O'Quinn
This team looks sneaky good. Hard to eval bc there are a lot of undrafted G minutes. Its hard to say if enough cash is available and if it will be spend correctly. Bismack & Varajao were perfect fits for this squad, Price & Johnson make great complement to Pippen- Solid team around Duncan, If the backup guards don't suck, this team can go deep.

22. uptowngbv- Draymond Green, Ben Wallace, James Harden, Carlos Boozer, Kyle Lowery, Manute Bol, Sergio Rodriguez
Odd looking team so far- but I kinda like it. Maybe a minutes crunch here?? Not sure... Lowery is a solid 5th round pick, it seems like he might have been too costly for this team... this is another team that I like if it doesn't run out of steam towards the stretch. Lots of rebounding- nice EFG, plenty of passing, Good D, other than Boozer- not many flaws. People may be surprised, but this team will do some damage. I haven't been keeping count of how many teams I've predicted to make or miss the playoffs, but this team should be there, I feel like...

23. eleibowitz- Anfernee Hardaway, DeAndre Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Robert Parish, Chris Gatling, Lamar Odom, Eric Bledsoe
This team may struggle with the cap??? Pretty solid though. Not a ton of 3s here, but the EFG is very good. Wondering which Chief will be used... I keep feel like I'm looking at a lot of salary and I have a feeling the team will be short on minutes. Hard to put my finger on this them. Playoffs probably? Early exit probably?

24. banditone- Anthony Davis, Kevin McHale, Maurice Cheeks, Larry Nance, Chris Mullin, Goran Dragic, Johnny Green
This team has issues... I can see a way to fix it and make it a playoff contender, tbh.. But I'm not very confident that will happen.... My Evaluation would be: Banditone, Choose "Closer to 1 for ***** sake!!!!!!!" Your track record of building teams from the #24 spot is atrocious... If you draft Wilt, Lebron, or Steph- you'll at least be ahead of the game from the start.. Look at what DH, Copernicus, and Thomcat have done. Study it. Learn from it. They've all built very solid teams thus far. They might screw it up from here, but they've put themselves in positions to succeed. Look at the stats at the end of the season. Look at the top few teams and see what makes them good. See what makes the bad teams bad... In general- Winning the boards is very important. I almost always build my teams with an attempt to win- if not dominate the boards.Good Luck....... Good EFG. Good D. Good offensive rebounding teams will destroy this one.. The EFG/D may win more games than I expect
1/7/2017 12:46 AM (edited)
Miles, yeah KJ was towards the end of my PG list. But he does what I need, good efg/usage, 30 ast, some 3s, doesn't break the bank.
Gonna see what's around in the 6th. After last season I've been more careful with salary so I have some to spend.
1/1/2017 7:26 PM
well i tried to focus on two things after i drafted wilt....the salary cap and not to leave all the board work to wilt

i failed miserably....harper/klay/amare is possibly the worst trio of rebounders i could have added and amare should make sure i struggle to get to 19300 mins

i have absolutely no discipline in the odl...but in fairness to me, it is kinda hard to resist a guy with 28% usg and 59% efg in the 5th round...amare and wilt dominating inside and klay/jr bombing away from 3 should make for a fun offense at least
1/1/2017 7:46 PM
my sf rotation is gonna look like the rl 76ers pg rotation
1/1/2017 7:47 PM
Posted by dh555 on 1/1/2017 7:47:00 PM (view original):
So many solid SF's left. Easiest spot to fill by far.
1/1/2017 8:21 PM

2. copernicus- Lebron James, Manu Ginobli, Andre Drummond, Emeka O, A Sabonis
It looks like this team will be great offensively and on the boards. D won't be great, but shouldn't be too much of a negative. Should be a contender depending on the rest of the roster- there's still 1 position not addressed as of yet...

ah yes but which one?

1/2/2017 12:42 PM
Posted by jt7king on 1/1/2017 7:26:00 PM (view original):
Miles, yeah KJ was towards the end of my PG list. But he does what I need, good efg/usage, 30 ast, some 3s, doesn't break the bank.
Gonna see what's around in the 6th. After last season I've been more careful with salary so I have some to spend.
Looking back at who was available- KJ was probably the right choice
1/2/2017 3:20 PM
Posted by copernicus on 1/2/2017 12:42:00 PM (view original):

2. copernicus- Lebron James, Manu Ginobli, Andre Drummond, Emeka O, A Sabonis
It looks like this team will be great offensively and on the boards. D won't be great, but shouldn't be too much of a negative. Should be a contender depending on the rest of the roster- there's still 1 position not addressed as of yet...

ah yes but which one?

I'll let you figure that out. Lol
1/2/2017 3:21 PM
Added more commentary on the evals post
1/2/2017 4:14 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 1/1/2017 8:21:00 PM (view original):
And this is why I take an important back-up (like George Hill) in the 5th over my 5th starter, as whichever position I'm leaving open is typically a lower usage, more specified role player guy that is easy to find.
1/2/2017 4:19 PM
11. jhsukow- Kevin Garnett, Gary Payton, Joakim Noah,Tom Boerwinkle, Wes Unseld
Lots of assists, but are there enough for a significant efg boost? That will needed to compete. I'm not sure how to rate this team, bc I'm not if they'll get that boost they need or not

We won't be able to get to 140. We are actually a Rebounding team.
1/2/2017 4:19 PM
The logical assumption on my latest pick of Brandon Wright is that he's not a strong rebonder and that's what I need. However, he won't be the PF. He's backing up Ibaka who only gets 30 minutes. There's a slew of plug and play PF's left, some of whom won't even be drafted. Some play no defense. I wanted SF's who were great on D and could rotate up and cover some of the beast PF's. There was only 1 other guy on my list who fit that bill other than Wright and Ibaka. I can wait on the PF but Wright would have certainly got drafted by someone and probably before my round 6 picks.
1/2/2017 5:56 PM
Posted by ashamael on 1/2/2017 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 1/1/2017 8:21:00 PM (view original):
And this is why I take an important back-up (like George Hill) in the 5th over my 5th starter, as whichever position I'm leaving open is typically a lower usage, more specified role player guy that is easy to find.
except i wont be able to afford even the solid sfs that are left

...is that michael ruffins music i hear? haha

1/2/2017 6:25 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
ODL 63 Roster and Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.