Momentum exists whether they admit it or not. Topic

Should just send in a ticket and ask if momentum exists.
2/17/2017 4:41 AM
They said no, but they were wrong about something else I asked, so they dont know everything, or they like to keep certain things secret. I was 17-18 and now 41-19. How can that be solely due to probability.
2/17/2017 8:27 PM
Posted by bayridgeguy on 2/16/2017 10:23:00 PM (view original):
My team started 17-18, and then won 21 out of 22. I'm sorry, this is not possible without momentum. I think this pretty much closes this topic. The idea that I'm going to see unbelievable unlikely wild swings every season I play, and it be attributed solely to probability is closed-minded.

Don't tell me a team governed solely by probability can go 17-18 then 22-1, just don't. DO NOT.
Did you play all the same opponents in those streaks?
2/17/2017 9:24 PM
How ironic that you called out a guy for his record in this thread and yet you, in your 4th season, ignore the information being provided by all of the experienced vets on here...

There's no guarantee that the "establishment" is right, but most of the time they are. 99.9% of the hotheaded new guys burn out.
2/17/2017 9:26 PM
Posted by bayridgeguy on 2/17/2017 8:27:00 PM (view original):
They said no, but they were wrong about something else I asked, so they dont know everything, or they like to keep certain things secret. I was 17-18 and now 41-19. How can that be solely due to probability.
Have you gone back and looked at the teams you faced? Was there fatigue? What was the pitching matchup (Ex. Bob Gibson vs Mike Mussina)? Do they just suck?
2/17/2017 9:48 PM
That's a nice steak tho. I myself had a team go on a 46-6 streak. But idk, I have streaky teams, and usually with streaky teams, the owners complain about them. So idk, heard this before.
2/17/2017 9:50 PM
My team started 17-18, and then won 21 out of 22. I'm sorry, this is not possible without momentum. I think this pretty much closes this topic. The idea that I'm going to see unbelievable unlikely wild swings every season I play, and it be attributed solely to probability is closed-minded.

Don't tell me a team governed solely by probability can go 17-18 then 22-1, just don't. DO NOT.
In other words, you want to believe what you have already decided to be true based upon a few isolated examples and don't want to listen to rational arguments and supporting evidence. How in the world is anyone supposed to have a conversation about this with you if you have already decided?

This is why discussions on the internet turn into shouting matches, little progress is made, and everyone leaves upset.

To make an argument for momentum that people will listen to, find examples from dozens of owners over several different types of leagues, give proof that all other conditions are similar (opponent strength, fatigue levels, matchups, etc.), and present us numbers with that show a consistent result over time. Isolated incidents among the thousands of games played on this site every week hold very little weight. Your opinion goes against the explicit words of those that run this engine as well as the experience of the vast majority of the veterans on this site who have played for at least 10x as long as you have. The burden of proof lies upon you.
2/18/2017 5:37 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 2/18/2017 5:37:00 PM (view original):

In other words, you want to believe what you have already decided to be true based upon a few isolated examples and don't want to listen to rational arguments and supporting evidence. How in the world is anyone supposed to have a conversation about this with you if you have already decided?

This is why discussions on the internet turn into shouting matches, little progress is made, and everyone leaves upset.

To make an argument for momentum that people will listen to, find examples from dozens of owners over several different types of leagues, give proof that all other conditions are similar (opponent strength, fatigue levels, matchups, etc.), and present us numbers with that show a consistent result over time. Isolated incidents among the thousands of games played on this site every week hold very little weight. Your opinion goes against the explicit words of those that run this engine as well as the experience of the vast majority of the veterans on this site who have played for at least 10x as long as you have. The burden of proof lies upon you.
Just don't. DO NOT.
lol
3/5/2017 12:54 AM
Why do any of us care what this newbie thinks?
3/5/2017 12:56 AM
This 'momentum' thread is really getting old and I'm really surprised that it's somehow still getting traction.The bottom line is that just as in real sports, teams sometimes go on winning streaks or win at a high percentage for a while. But the same thing is true as far as losing too. For example, i currently have an OL team that's playing .600 ball three quarters into the season. But a few weeks ago, i couldn't buy a win and lost about 12 out of 14 games. It happens!!! Just like in real sports bc momentum is nothing more than a subjective term. If you're dissatisfied with the game and refuse to listen to owners who have won tons of championships, then stop playing. It's as simple as that, bc whether you believe it or not, the sun will still come up tomorrow!!!
3/5/2017 11:26 AM
This thread died awhile ago, it's not like he keeps complaining about it
3/5/2017 4:33 PM
◂ Prev 123456
Momentum exists whether they admit it or not. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.