3.0 is Unbelievably Frustrating Topic

Really makes me so angry I want to quit.

Can't run a fastbreak/fullcourt press with 12 good players.

The nonsense of high beating very high.

Can only see about 1/3 of the recruits at level 4.

Most of the frustration is coming from all of the time and hard work a person puts into the game, with nothing to show for it.

So angry that I want to walk away, but at the same time it's so addicting.
1/2/2017 5:32 AM (edited)
I know it seems like I'm complaining, but more like needing a place to vent my frustration. I guess some people might see it as being the same thing. Anyone else frustrated?
1/1/2017 11:25 PM
I can understand the frustration, thewizard. I know I am not the best recruiter. I too often settle because I'm not patient enough. I know I've made way too many errors to list here in the forums. I say all this to say that I believe there is an element of luck involved in this recruiting that didn't exist in the old system. Being at D3, I know that I can't scout everyone in the area around me like I used to. Now, I feel like I must pick and choose which recruit to scout further. I could miss a couple of really good guys because I chose to scout Player A who had the same exact letters across the board as player B. I just chose the wrong one. My point is, in a rambling sort of way, there is a fair amount of guess work that is involved in this recruiting that wasn't there before. Maybe it's something I'll pick up over time as I get used to it. If anyone who is far more accomplished than I have any pointers, I'd be glad for the help. Although I'm not sure many like me after my posts in another forum. But anyway, yeah, I feel your frustration. I just figure I'll figure it out eventually...
1/2/2017 12:05 AM
A lot of the stuff people thought they had to do in the previous version just doesn't have the same value anymore. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but if it's frustrating you, just don't do it. It's not giving you the advantage you would want, so unless you really enjoy doing all that legwork, just stop.

This is precisely why scouting takes me ~30 minutes total, except in the rare cases that I need to go back and scout for some Plan Ds late in the first session. I no longer worry too much about how many resources any of my rivals have, or if the typically want the kind of players I want, etc. Find some guys you like, who fit your system, prioritize them, then go battle for them.
1/2/2017 12:11 AM
wiz,,, you have said almost exactly what i am feeling.
and agree with sloth too

gave up a fb team because didnt see how i could keep up.
vh lost to high so many times i cant count. i know its just bad luck but .... frustrating.

part of me wishes i would have played beta and understood things better going in.
another part of me wishes i had quit.
another part of me enjoys the challenge of something new
1/2/2017 12:16 AM
Posted by supersloth33 on 1/2/2017 12:05:00 AM (view original):
I can understand the frustration, thewizard. I know I am not the best recruiter. I too often settle because I'm not patient enough. I know I've made way too many errors to list here in the forums. I say all this to say that I believe there is an element of luck involved in this recruiting that didn't exist in the old system. Being at D3, I know that I can't scout everyone in the area around me like I used to. Now, I feel like I must pick and choose which recruit to scout further. I could miss a couple of really good guys because I chose to scout Player A who had the same exact letters across the board as player B. I just chose the wrong one. My point is, in a rambling sort of way, there is a fair amount of guess work that is involved in this recruiting that wasn't there before. Maybe it's something I'll pick up over time as I get used to it. If anyone who is far more accomplished than I have any pointers, I'd be glad for the help. Although I'm not sure many like me after my posts in another forum. But anyway, yeah, I feel your frustration. I just figure I'll figure it out eventually...
Hey supersloth, thanks for posting and I can understand your frustration as well with the amount of scouting cash in D-3. And there is definitely a huge percentage of luck that comes into play, no question. Even if it's not losing a very high to high or very high battle, you also have to guess correctly which recruits to target. For instance, you put 30 attention points on a guy, then you find yourself backing off because there are 5 other coaches on that same player and only to do the same thing again, yet you find a higher prestige team on that next guy. All of a sudden, you're behind the 8 ball and you've used up a bunch of attention points with nothing to show for it. I think the luck that is involved should be kept to the game itself and should not play a part in recruiting.
1/2/2017 12:29 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 1/2/2017 12:11:00 AM (view original):
A lot of the stuff people thought they had to do in the previous version just doesn't have the same value anymore. I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but if it's frustrating you, just don't do it. It's not giving you the advantage you would want, so unless you really enjoy doing all that legwork, just stop.

This is precisely why scouting takes me ~30 minutes total, except in the rare cases that I need to go back and scout for some Plan Ds late in the first session. I no longer worry too much about how many resources any of my rivals have, or if the typically want the kind of players I want, etc. Find some guys you like, who fit your system, prioritize them, then go battle for them.
And you're exactly right. If it's not enjoyable any longer, find another hobby. I've found that I've had the personality to deal with HD 2.0 much better. If I'm putting a great amount of effort into a game, I don't want there to be the amount of luck that's currently involved in HD 3.0. I have the personality where if I can study and put the effort into a game, I would like to be rewarded with results.
1/2/2017 12:36 AM
Posted by oldave on 1/2/2017 12:16:00 AM (view original):
wiz,,, you have said almost exactly what i am feeling.
and agree with sloth too

gave up a fb team because didnt see how i could keep up.
vh lost to high so many times i cant count. i know its just bad luck but .... frustrating.

part of me wishes i would have played beta and understood things better going in.
another part of me wishes i had quit.
another part of me enjoys the challenge of something new
You hit the nail on the head oldave. I just don't see why luck needs to be involved in recruiting. WIS said they wanted a real life experience, which was the reason for the change. Sure, there are some features that are more realistic and there are some great additions to the game. However, I feel seble dropped the ball big time on this version. I felt if seble had a good vision of what he wanted to do, there wouldn't be any need for so many changes in BETA and there were probably dozens. If it's any indication of how fast things are going south, check out the ACC in Phelan. There is something clearly wrong when you have half the teams with an RPI of 248 or lower in that conference. Seble did not think the whole update through. I'm not even sure if seble tried it from a users experience, he just experienced it from the programming side of things.
1/2/2017 12:46 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/2/2017 12:55:00 AM (view original):
"...if it's frustrating you, just don't do it."

There it is. As long as guys don't understand the game and see the game as just luck, they will blame the game and be frustrated. Once they learn it better and understand it is all driven by their own choices, they can learn to live with their own choices and enjoy the game like most people do already. Best of luck.
Spud, one thing I've learned over the years is to pick and choose your fights wisely, especially when debating on the forums. Since nobody else ever agrees with you, you're making this very easy.

A few days ago, there was a perfect example for you to come to the defense. I even called you out on it. There was a A+ Division 2 school (Florida Tech) that was H going up against 3 elite D-1 schools that were VH. As you know, the Division 2 school won out. Until you can come up with sensible argument for that happening, there really isn't any other reason to correspond about anything else. You're a parrot, you repeat yourself over and over again and time and time again, you come up with no in-depth logical explanation. It's always the same song and dance.
1/2/2017 1:10 AM
I hate having to go from recruit to recruit and then have to back off of each one as you go because everyone is going down the same progression. It sucks having to put in effort before you can offer a scholarship or a HV. I've spent a lot of my time off on this game for recruiting in 2 worlds and playoffs in 1. After all of the countless hours spent on recruiting for my Virginia Tech team, I'm going to be left with crappy players that I am going to have to live with for 4 years.
1/2/2017 1:29 AM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/2/2017 1:29:00 AM (view original):
I hate having to go from recruit to recruit and then have to back off of each one as you go because everyone is going down the same progression. It sucks having to put in effort before you can offer a scholarship or a HV. I've spent a lot of my time off on this game for recruiting in 2 worlds and playoffs in 1. After all of the countless hours spent on recruiting for my Virginia Tech team, I'm going to be left with crappy players that I am going to have to live with for 4 years.
I know man, I hear ya! You get one bad recruiting season and it will legitimately hurt your team for 4 years. You put a bunch of attention points on one player for a couple of cycles and then an A+ schools comes in on the 3rd cycle and decides he wants that player. By the time you want to switch those attention points onto another decent player, it's too late, the other school already has an advantage.
1/2/2017 1:36 AM
It's frustrating but I'll figure it out eventually. I learned so much from the first class vs the second class I recruited. I still have much to learn and I'm sure there will be setbacks. Hopefully I will minimize the mistakes and be ok. I may be frustrated but am looking forward to the new challenge. Under this system the potential is there for better recruits to be available but who knows.
1/2/2017 1:45 AM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/2/2017 1:29:00 AM (view original):
Well, why don't you jut get a jump on your second tier guys and not waste 3 cycles in your first tier guys? It works for me.
1/2/2017 8:30 AM
Yeah wiz, I think I posted that example above. BC, Duke and some 3rd A+ D1 school all at VH all lost to a D2 school at High. Very crazy frustrating. Plus the EEs are frustrating. Why can't declare at the beginning of period 1? That would solve everything.

It's a challenge for sure, adjusting to the new system. I do like some things, like the elimination of conference $$$, but I think in many other areas the changes have had some seriously unintended consequences, such as D2 teams beating out A level D1 teams. That just should never happen.
1/2/2017 9:23 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
3.0 is Unbelievably Frustrating Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.