is 14/14 enough to be successful Topic

is 14/14 enough budget to be successful in the draft? i have heard some max out one, hs or college, and zero out the other. i dont partake in the international game so i need to do well in the draft. any thoughts? also, if i were to max one and zero another, which is better to max?
1/3/2017 11:29 AM
I do OK with 16. I think 14 is a little shy of what you need. I do zero out one. Coll/HS is more of a personal preference now. When you could see everyone's budget, it was best to go contrarian.
1/3/2017 11:50 AM
Agreed. 14 seems to miss out on a few too many prospects, and also has a bit too much fuzziness in the projections. But going 14/14 or 16/16 means you're locking up around 30 million in the amateur draft, which is why so many owners go 20/0 and use the extra 10 mil plus elsewhere.

I have 20/0 College for one of my teams and 20/0 HS for the other. When I draft college, I see over 400 projected prospects. Because they're older they come out with higher currents, which means my minor league teams perform a little better on average, but that's because of more mid-level minor league players. (My crap pitchers are less crap than the younger crap pitchers.) College players should also be ready for the majors sooner. If a prospect is blocked on that team, he doesn't get to the majors till 25 or 26.

On my 20 mil HS team I see less than 300 projected prospects. Because of this, depending on the quality of the draft, my mid-round selections tend to have more "misses" because I'm often drafting players in rounds 8-15 who might never even be good enough for AAA, and I get a bunch of lottery tickets ("Unknown he wasn't scouted well enough") at the end of the draft. Also when you draft HS, you'll have players reaching Rule 5 status at age 22.

1/3/2017 12:28 PM
thanks, good stuff
1/3/2017 1:23 PM
It does seem most teams do go for high school so I usually allocate more towards college
1/3/2017 2:57 PM
I agree with everything stated here, one reason I sometimes put the 20M on HS instead of 20M on College is because younger players seem to have better trade value.
1/3/2017 7:19 PM
I've had 14 in college for 2 years and my college selections looked almost nothing like their projections. I feel 18 is about as low as you can go before it gets really possible to have a total dud draft pick. Personally I'd go 18 in HS for the above stated reason on "perceived trade value" and 0 in college. I also believe that hs and intl players are more likely to hit the DITR and matter because of the lower starting point for overall. Then I'd get the 10 in intl and hope for a nice RP, utility guy, DH, Defensive catcher or no bat SS every year, or invest it in better coaches for all my 18 year old draftees.
1/3/2017 9:18 PM
Go 17 and 17. I am fairly new but I have not blown a draft yet. I would also not skip out on international. At least 10 is a must. 14 and 14 is too low. Didn't get much when I had that combo. At least 16 and 16 for college and high school unless you have a high payroll. I have only taken on rebuilding teams so my payrolls are usually not too high.
1/7/2017 11:11 PM
is 14/14 enough to be successful Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.