I'll assume that is NOT a serious question. They'll run SOS and it should be a landslide in OK's favor.
12/21/2017 2:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2017 2:56:00 PM (view original):
I'll assume that is NOT a serious question. They'll run SOS and it should be a landslide in OK's favor.
I don't think they would do that though. You can get away with ignoring head to head a lot more when the schools are in the same conference (since they have so many similar opponents), I just think it would be a downright terrible look to ignore the head to head in that situation (when FAU is unbeaten and only when they are unbeaten).
12/22/2017 8:43 AM
I'd like the playoffs expanded to eight teams so a situation like that would put the unbeaten G5 in. With only 4, there has to be a LOT of other factors. Mostly a giant clusterfuck from all P5s. Multi-loss conference champs, possibly something along the lines of OSU/Clemson losses the last couple of seasons, failures of the "eye test", maybe even injury to big-time players. Even then, I think the G5 has to have the OK win AND another against a P5 mid-level(like a Michigan/SCarolina).

Again, the P5 schools don't need the NCAA or their committees. The NCAA needs them. They branch off and form their own establishment. Good luck selling UCF vs FAU as the National Championship game.
12/22/2017 9:02 AM
I just don't see the committee putting 12-1 Oklahoma in over 13-0 Florida Atlantic when Oklahoma's loss was at home to Florida Atlantic. Now I'm sure the committee could just avoid that entirely by putting the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC, and SEC champion in and solving that problem, but I suspect at least one of those champions will have 2 losses making it a much murkier proposition (and in a year like this where 2 SEC teams make it, I could totally see the committee going with a Group of 5 team over Bama if that team had a huge marquee win like 12-1 OU).
12/22/2017 4:47 PM
That's because you have the mistaken impression, or maybe it's misguided hope, the G5 schools will be treated the same as P5 schools. They won't. I'd even say schools within the P5 will be treated differently. Let's call them "traditional powers".

SEC-Bama, GA, TN and maybe FL
ACC-Miami, FL St with Clemson working it's way in
B10-OSU, Michigan, PSU and Nebraska from their B12 days
B12-OK, Texas
PAC12-USC
Indy-Notre Dame

Now maybe PSU and Miami have had enough off-field problems to get excluded but the rest, IMO, would receive preferential treatment over a SC, Duke, Iowa St, Baylor or Wash St.
12/22/2017 6:28 PM
You could sub categorize that a step further with 1A and 1B of preferential treatment.
12/22/2017 6:32 PM
I don't think they will be treated the same not should they be but in that type of highly unlikely scenario the G5 should be the team or why bother playing games at all.
12/23/2017 8:21 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.