Old coach desperately needs assistance / mentor Topic

I'm a coach who played Gridiron Dynasty for 90 seasons, beginning in season 2 of Rockne. In past iterations of the game engine, I won numerous championships--built a dynasty where I won 9 at the D1AA level, and later won 1 at the D1 level.

After playing this game for about 7 years, I ended up dropping out after my wife had twins. At the time, I figured that I just wouldn't have any free time, and that was right before the latest game engine change was about to be implemented. So when my seasons expired, I walked away from an elite gig, as a consistent NC contender who recruited very well. That was back in the 2011 time frame.

Last month, I got a random email from whatifsports, and decided to hope over to the website to have a look. Coincidentally, Rockne world was in the middle of hiring [serendipitous timing, if you ask me], and had one more day before new hires finalized. With my kids now being a little older, I impulsively decided to re-apply and got a gig. Landed my favorite team in real life--Syracuse University--and bought a couple of seasons to right the ship on a team that was largely Sim-coach controlled for a lengthy period of time.

Upon landing the job, I read a lot of the forums, trying to pick up tips / information about the new game engine. Then I dove into setting my configurations for game plans, playbooks, practice plans, etc. I also had a lot of fun recruiting--quickly rediscovering that this was the most fun part of the game for me. Landed a solid class, improved the overall talent base, and everything seemed ready to go. With my modified game plans, I had some success in the preseason, and while my team had a challenging schedule, I figured that I was positioned for success. Or at least, for a building block type of season.

What happened next was that I started out the season 0-8, losing to a couple of Sim AI teams. I devoured what I could glean from the forums, but none of the adjustments I made seemed to make a difference. I didn't expect to master the new game engine in one season, but nothing I tried seemed to work. This was a very frustrating / disappointing outcome considering how much I enjoy this game and my previous success playing GD.

I'm putting myself out there a bit, but what the hell--I'm hoping that there is a successful coach out there who wouldn't mind being a mentor and showing me the ropes a little bit.

Just to reiterate, I'm not some newbie looking for a quick path to success--I'm a guy who played previous versions of this game for years, and loves this game. I just can't figure things out, and I'm hopeful that there might be someone out there who might be willing to share some of what they've learned and point me in the right direction a bit.

If anyone out there is interested, please feel free to IM me. I'm a quick study, and promise that I'll actively engage--I'm not looking to be handed any shortcuts.

Thanks in advance -- as stated above, I love this game, and appreciate anyone's willingness to consider my request. Either way, viva GD -- would love to continue playing actively now that I have some more free time on my hands!
1/3/2017 11:33 PM (edited)
Hey rdawg...Check your SiteMail
1/4/2017 12:41 AM
Check your sitemail
1/4/2017 10:17 AM
Honestly you had a murder schedule. Straight murder schedule. That had a lot to do with it. When you first get a team and learning all the new ways it's hard to win games against users. You're lucky to have won 2 games! Do you know what guess reports are?
1/4/2017 10:19 AM
No coach could have had success with that team. Keep recruiting well, lose the sims and i'm sure you will figure things out just fine.
1/4/2017 1:16 PM
Rdawg, sent you a sitemail with some thoughts.
1/4/2017 10:29 PM
THANK YOU very much to everyone who responded to this request. I am VERY appreciative.

Back when I was playing in the previous version of the game engine, winning championships, etc. I took on several apprentices, and taught them what I knew about the game. Many of them went on to win championships at the D1AA and D2 levels, and to greatly improve their D1 teams to where they went from being .500 at best clubs, to ones who were challenging for elite bowls every year.

I really appreciate some of your willingness to lend a hand and teach an old dawg new tricks, and to pay it forward! I'll respond to your site mails -- have been traveling the past two days, and haven't gotten an opportunity to review / respond.

Thanks again!
1/5/2017 9:25 PM
Old coach desperately needs assistance / mentor Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.