Fullcourt Press Topic

You could make the PIT next season.
1/9/2017 1:38 PM
Depends on how recruiting goes. I honestly didn't expect to need to worry about tourneys until my 4th season.
1/9/2017 1:52 PM
Honestly, I can't really see much of a point in worrying about RPI/SOS in regards to scheduling anymore unless you are in a not real good human populated conference where you might get bounced in the CT by a semi-competent human. If you're in a really tough human conference that crap will sort itself out and if you're in a crap sim dominated conference, most likely if you have a good team, you can win the auto-bid. In the old days, when the worlds were much more active it made a very big difference because you really did have to compete for a spot in the NT, nowdays....not so much. Simmy (or multiple simmys) routinely make(s) the NT and that's something that very rarely happened back then.

The only realistic difference to be made is NT seeding and the merits of seeding good or bad can be effectively argued in both directions. No #1 seed has EVER lost the 1st round in RL, but that used to happen in HD nearly every season early on. #16 seeds have won NT's here, but never in RL.

Nowdays, if I'm rebuilding, I schedule wins (if that's even possible, sometimes it isn't). If I'm not, I usually just let the game schedule my non-con. It's an ego thing and I'm not as invested as I used to be, so my ego isn't involved as much as it once was.

Having said all that, valid points have been made regarding RPI/SOS. In the end, it's all about what's important to YOU, who pays the money, rather than what's technically "correct". Hell, people have made winning teams from 12 SF's (and 12 of the other 4 positions as well), 12 guys with the same last name, 12 guys with the same 1st name. That's the beauty of it all. It's your team, do whatever the hell you want.

1/9/2017 2:01 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 1/9/2017 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Both because it is fun - and because I think the arithmetic usually works out for other purposes - I now always schedule out of conference to win at least 5 games. If I am in a tough or reasonably tough conference, I aim for 8-10 wins.

And, wins are fun.

A lot of what has been said relates to optimizing rpi, sos, projection report - which seems to have been off the table for Mike. When that matters, one should optimize on those parameters.
Well, it's one of two things:

1. They didn't understand my situation. That's fine, there's no reason to dig into my team to find out why my schedule is what it is.
2. Nitpicking. They felt the need to give me **** and that was there. Sadly, #1 is the reason not incompetence.

Which isn't to say I'm not incompetent at HD. But I do understand the scheduling aspect of the game.
1/9/2017 2:12 PM
I'll take this thread a bit further into OOC scheduling - the increased departures of DI human coaches, have complicated OOC scheduling. I had 10 games set just the way I wanted them. All on the road. All human coaches. All pretty good teams that should win lots of games, but which I thought I had a good shot at beating to get 8-10 wins.

Now, 4 of the 10 coaches are gone and the teams are SIMs. Much higher than in the past - weakens the likely SOS/RPI effects of those games.

Curses, foiled again.
1/9/2017 2:51 PM
Sorry if this has already been said, but why are you only playing 8 or 9 players/game? I always go 11 or 12 deep (unless I have walkons), especially when playing or playing against a press. It's worked out okay for me.
1/9/2017 4:35 PM
I run a zone and I want to develop/understand who can actually help me in the future. 2 are going to be cut and 1 is a walk-on. I don't think I've only played 8 in a game but it is possible.
1/9/2017 5:51 PM
Everyone has their own team and can do whatever they want but I still find it strange when people do things that intentionally decrease their chance of success.

Why would you not want to increase your chances of getting to the postseason (either PIT or NT)? Why would you not want to get a high seed in the NT?

I always scratch my head when I see good teams with coaches who schedule so poorly that they are always underseeded in the NT and then get knocked out early. Why would you not want to get past the 2nd round? Sure, low seeded teams can make deep runs occasionally but I'd rather not have to face a team that could potentially win it all in the 1st or 2nd round. Doesn't make sense to me since putting together a good schedule is one of the easiest things you can do in this game and can make a BIG difference on how your season ends up.
1/9/2017 5:59 PM
"I always scratch my head when I see good teams with coaches who schedule so poorly that they are always underseeded in the NT and then get knocked out early. Why would you not want to get past the 2nd round? Sure, low seeded teams can make deep runs occasionally but I'd rather not have to face a team that could potentially win it all in the 1st or 2nd round. Doesn't make sense to me since putting together a good schedule is one of the easiest things you can do in this game and can make a BIG difference on how your season ends up."

I almost never schedule optimally. Originally, I wasn't making fun of Mike for scheduling poorly, I was making fun of him for losing some of those games!

Anywho, I make three suboptimal choices on a regular basis:

I sometimes forget to schedule which causes me to under schedule.
I usually accept requests from people which is sometimes to east or to hard.
I like a challenge so I usually try to schedule top 20 owners as much as I can.

I do this partly because I am busy, partly because I am over confident, and mostly because I don't really care what my seed is in the NT. I don't think the path to the FF is significantly easier from the 3-13 seed. Although I don't like being in the 7-10 range.
1/9/2017 6:08 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/9/2017 5:59:00 PM (view original):
Everyone has their own team and can do whatever they want but I still find it strange when people do things that intentionally decrease their chance of success.

Why would you not want to increase your chances of getting to the postseason (either PIT or NT)? Why would you not want to get a high seed in the NT?

I always scratch my head when I see good teams with coaches who schedule so poorly that they are always underseeded in the NT and then get knocked out early. Why would you not want to get past the 2nd round? Sure, low seeded teams can make deep runs occasionally but I'd rather not have to face a team that could potentially win it all in the 1st or 2nd round. Doesn't make sense to me since putting together a good schedule is one of the easiest things you can do in this game and can make a BIG difference on how your season ends up.
Is this directed at me? Because, if it is, read back. Already answered.
1/9/2017 6:13 PM
Have you read the how to win at d3/d2 article by aejones that's pinned at the top of the forum? I'm genuinely asking because the guys you recruited, while not horrible, aren't athletic/fast enough and don't look like they have much potential there.

Scheduling is addressed there too.

It can take a few seasons to get a team into place. Until you have the players, the other stuff doesn't matter too much in terms of immediate winning. But in the mean time you can still see what works better and what doesn't by playing with the settings.

Hang in there.
1/9/2017 6:16 PM
Let's just say mistakes were made in my first season. I've gotten advice, good advice, but it is my team. Ultimately, if I'm going to play, I want to play. The 4 I recruited are playing pretty well as compared to what I had. Pritts and Zeier have improved quite a bit. The first 3 are Pritts, Zeier, Davin, all recruited.
Yr. Pos. A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT TOT
Fr. SG 1 0 0 6 1 7 13 10 8 6 0 1 - 53
Fr. PG 7 1 0 0 0 8 7 8 2 4 7 7 - 51
Jr. PF 0 1 1 5 3 0 9 8 6 6 0 1 - 40

RS1 starts in 5 days. We'll see if I've gotten better.
1/9/2017 6:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2017 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/9/2017 5:59:00 PM (view original):

Is this directed at me? Because, if it is, read back. Already answered.
No. Just a general comment on something that I've always believe regarding scheduling.

We'll see how your schedule works out for you. I think with a savvy schedule you could make the postseason next season. All those home games are a risk. If you lose them, they will hurt you much more than if they were away games.

And yeah TJ- agree with your points (with the exception that there isn't a difference between 3-13 seeds). This past season for chestnut we did that dice roll invitational thing and I got spanked. Not optimal schedule but I wanted to give it a shot because I thought it would be fun.

Regarding the seeds. I'd MUCH rather be a 5 seed than an 8/9 seed. I might get a bit lucky and face a 13 seed SIM in the 2nd round vs facing potentially a powerhouse team like Cal Tech in Phelan in the 2nd round. This is a big difference in the liklihood I can get to S16. Beyond that... well who knows.
1/9/2017 6:38 PM
I hope to be .500 next season. Keep expectations low. The WCSU fans can get mighty angry when they're not met.
1/9/2017 6:40 PM
And I am in a conference with 11 humans. They're learning too.
1/9/2017 6:40 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Fullcourt Press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.