Fullcourt Press Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/9/2017 10:14:00 AM (view original):
Couple things:

1. Great job on that RPI, it's hard to find a human coach who pretends they know what they are doing have an RPI in the 380's.
2. You are a little sunk against the press teams. I would recommend going with a 3-2 zone and playing your three best "guards" at the the 1-2-3. Zeier, Pritts and Harris? I didn't look real hard. Just adding SPD, BH, PASS and factoring in IQ should give you a ball park estimate.
3. Definitely go slow down, if your opponent has a weak defender put your best offensive player on him and LOAD up the DISTRO, ike 40-50% of your teams shots. Maybe you can get him in foul trouble and have the fatigue spiral affect him.
1. Uh, I knew I had a bad team and I scheduled to get a few wins. The game is more fun, for me, when I'm not a 33 point dog every game. My non-con next season is much better. But thanks for the snark!!! Gosh, I shouldn't get testy around here with all the good will extended my way!!!

2. I'm starting Zeier, Pritts, Harris for the reason you suggested. Despite my inability to figure out how to schedule tough opponents so I can make a run at the tourney with my bad team, I did figure out that I needed my best BH/PASS on the court to cut back on the turnovers.

3. Can't say on this one as my opponent does read the forums.

1/9/2017 10:22 AM
Posted by Benis on 1/9/2017 10:17:00 AM (view original):
"Great job on that RPI, it's hard to find a human coach who pretends they know what they are doing have an RPI in the 380's."

Nice one TJ.
Not so much. My weak schedule was by design. Please read previous post.
1/9/2017 10:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2017 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/9/2017 10:17:00 AM (view original):
"Great job on that RPI, it's hard to find a human coach who pretends they know what they are doing have an RPI in the 380's."

Nice one TJ.
Not so much. My weak schedule was by design. Please read previous post.
I understand your logic. But even with your team, most coaches would not have constructed a non-conf schedule like you did.
1/9/2017 10:27 AM
As I said, I wanted to win some games. I'm experimenting with line-ups, settings, etc but losing by 20 every day sucks. So I found teams that were losing their best players and scheduled them. So I actually did know what I was doing. Next season I scheduled good SIM teams. I think three are in top 25. If all goes well, I'll extend challenges to the good human teams the season after(as I assume they will decline if I'm still bad).

There's a plan. So, really, this is all bullshit: "Great job on that RPI, it's hard to find a human coach who pretends they know what they are doing have an RPI in the 380's." As is your "Nice one TJ."
1/9/2017 10:32 AM
The assumptions made by veterans are part of the reason I'm "trolling" folks. Although I don't really think it's trolling. I think I'm just confronting users about their whining and entitlement.
1/9/2017 10:34 AM

2. I'm starting Zeier, Pritts, Harris for the reason you suggested. Despite my inability to figure out how to schedule tough opponents so I can make a run at the tourney with my bad team, I did figure out that I needed my best BH/PASS on the court to cut back on the turnovers.

IMO, the ranking of the attributes to "break the press" is SPD then BH then PASS.
1/9/2017 10:35 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2017 10:34:00 AM (view original):
The assumptions made by veterans are part of the reason I'm "trolling" folks. Although I don't really think it's trolling. I think I'm just confronting users about their whining and entitlement.
I don't think you're trolling. I just think someone who gives as much love as you deserves to have a little thrown back at him. Toughen up Buttercup.
1/9/2017 10:38 AM
Posted by dadbod on 1/9/2017 10:39:00 AM (view original):
I don't think you're trolling. I just think someone who gives as much love as you deserves to have a little thrown back at him. Toughen up Buttercup.
I'm fine with that. Trust me. I just like it to be accurate when it's done. As in your previous post, I didn't consider SPD when deciding who to start. You could have said "Well, dumbass, SPD is the most important of the three. I don't even see where you mentioned that in your post. Stupid n00b!!!"

You decided to throw it at me for something I did intentionally with a plan for future seasons. That's annoying. Call me an idiot for **** I don't know, there's plenty of ammo, not things I do with a plan.

1/9/2017 10:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2017 10:32:00 AM (view original):
As I said, I wanted to win some games. I'm experimenting with line-ups, settings, etc but losing by 20 every day sucks. So I found teams that were losing their best players and scheduled them. So I actually did know what I was doing. Next season I scheduled good SIM teams. I think three are in top 25. If all goes well, I'll extend challenges to the good human teams the season after(as I assume they will decline if I'm still bad).

There's a plan. So, really, this is all bullshit: "Great job on that RPI, it's hard to find a human coach who pretends they know what they are doing have an RPI in the 380's." As is your "Nice one TJ."
Okay. Because I'm a nice guy, I will help you with your scheduling issues.

Your RPI is inflated by road wins. At D3 there is very little homecourt advantage. Therefore, you want to play your non-conf games on the road.

NEVER schedule SIMs with 300+ RPI at home. That's why your SOS is so bad. You played 7 home games. Of those 7, 4 are against teams with 300+ RPI. That's a no-no. Just from that change alone you'd drastically improve your RPI and not really decrease your chances of obtaining the same record.

Additionally, I personally don't see a huge difference in "winnability" (is that a word?) for a team ranked 300 RPI or 370 RPI. Heck, maybe even in the 200s.

So as TJ says - toughen up buttercup.
1/9/2017 10:47 AM
One of us knew my mindset when I was scheduling last year. Want to guess which one?

1. My home court seems to be worth about 2 points judging from home/away games this and last season.
2. Already explained why I scheduled as I did.
3. With my team, any advantage I could get to post a W was going to be taken. 300 is worse, no matter the difference, than 200.

As I said, give me **** for what I don't know. Not something I'm doing with a purpose.
1/9/2017 10:54 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2017 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dadbod on 1/9/2017 10:39:00 AM (view original):
I'm fine with that. Trust me. I just like it to be accurate when it's done. As in your previous post, I didn't consider SPD when deciding who to start. You could have said "Well, dumbass, SPD is the most important of the three. I don't even see where you mentioned that in your post. Stupid n00b!!!"

You decided to throw it at me for something I did intentionally with a plan for future seasons. That's annoying. Call me an idiot for **** I don't know, there's plenty of ammo, not things I do with a plan.

Oh, okay. I'll be sure to follow the MikeT Guidelines for posting on an internet message board from now on.

BTW, you are making a mistake (ie not scheduling the optimal way). The system you used last year should be revised.
1/9/2017 11:14 AM
You're free to schedule however you want Mike, it's your team. I was just giving you some advice on how to improve your scheduling. Take it or leave it.

I think you have the sorta right idea around your plan but you're executing it poorly. You scheduled 10 home games next season and I think that's a bad idea. Most coaches will tell you the same thing. It shows that you really don't know what you're doing and you're getting upset about it. I don't know what else to tell you.
1/9/2017 12:30 PM
I know I didn't schedule the optimal way.

I'm not sure how I can explain it any better. I'm not making a tourney this season. I'm not making a tourney next season. RPI/SOS only matters if those are goals. But I don't enjoy losing by 20 day after day. Seriously, scheduling the way I am doesn't mean I don't know how to schedule. It means I'd like to win some damn games while knowing I'm only getting in a tourney by winning my conference. How hard is that to understand?

I know what else to tell you but I'll refrain. It's Monday. I'm not that annoyed.
1/9/2017 12:56 PM
I'll put it this way.

Last season the only reason I had to check HD was to see which SIMAI players weren't developing enough to cut. It was a pretty much a gimme that I'd lose. I could look at BS and PBP but, truth is, there was only so much to learn because so many of the players were just bad. The slow, unathletic no D PF got lit up. Shocker. The low BH/P SG had a lot of turnovers. Breaking news.

This season I can look and try to figure out why a guy I thought would have a good game didn't. And, just maybe, I'd also get a win. It's more fun this season. And, as I've said many times to the EE whiners, if it's not fun, find something else to do. If your silly internet game isn't fun, surely you've got something better to do.
1/9/2017 1:28 PM
Both because it is fun - and because I think the arithmetic usually works out for other purposes - I now always schedule out of conference to win at least 5 games. If I am in a tough or reasonably tough conference, I aim for 8-10 wins.

And, wins are fun.

A lot of what has been said relates to optimizing rpi, sos, projection report - which seems to have been off the table for Mike. When that matters, one should optimize on those parameters.
1/9/2017 1:34 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Fullcourt Press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.