How do most of you coaches come up with your game plan? Do you use 1 offense and defense set or multiple? Do you change game plans every day or stay the same every game? Do you tweak game plans at halftime? I have seen coaches go all passing and be successful and I see coaches who line up and run right at you, what are your opinions on run vs pass?
1/6/2017 9:43 AM
Oiy, that is a short paragraph with pages of answers that will vary from coach to coach. Here are my thoughts:

1. You get more bang for your FIQ buck if you use 1 offense and 1 defensive set.
2. I personally use 1 offensive set and 2 defensive sets (I use 4-3/nickel). NOTE: I have several formation settings within each set.
3. I have a development gameplan, a SIMAI gameplan and then a competitive gameplan.
4. I adjust the competitive gameplan based on my opponent.
5. Sometimes I adjust at halftime. If I am doing well, typically I do not.
6. You can be successful with any set/style if you commit to it and recruit to it.

How do I come up with a gameplan?

1. I begin with my strengths. Who are my playmakers?
2. Next, what are my opponents weaknesses?
3. Matchup my playmaker against the opponents weakness and ride the playmaker(s) like Seabiscut.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
1/6/2017 2:15 PM (edited)
I have 5 offensive formations just using proset. 3 Defensive formations at 3-4. I rotate my players each down so that everybody stays fresh. even my qb's
1/6/2017 1:51 PM
Nitros hit it right on the head with his first statement. Each and every coach is different because each and every coach thinks about this game very differently.

I'll throw in my two cents
  1. I personally use 1 offensive set (100% Wishbone) and 2 defensive sets (I use 3-4 or 4-3 and Nickel).
  2. I have a defensive game plan based on the type of opponent. All pass teams gets nickel with two rabbits at LB. Balanced gets a 4-3 or 3-4 plus nickel combination based on down and distance.
  3. Offensive game plan is run until you puke regardless
  4. I set my optional game plans for blowouts when you can develop the younger kids against Simmy.
  5. I rotate everyone. If my guys are below 95%, they get pulled.
  6. "You can be successful with any set/style if you commit to it and recruit to it". This is priority number one. I choose to run this offense because, in my opinion, the cost of recruiting WR, pass catching TE and RB, and high GI QB is very high especially when you get at higher levels (and depending on the World you are in).
  7. Focus on FIQ and special teams as well.
  8. HAVE FUN!!! This is the most important factor in playing this game. Try out new things. I know I will never win an NC running the Wishbone in this incarnation of GD. Doesn't stop me from trying though.
Namaste.

Dalai
1/6/2017 4:53 PM
My advice is to build an offensive system around your philosophy, as there is no right or wrong way to build a team. Do you want to be heavy run, heavy pass, balanced? If you don't have one or it really doesn't matter, find a coach you look up to, study what he does, and emulate it with your own personal tweaks. Personally, I've "borrowed" various aspects of my offense from numerous coaches. Once you have that system in mind, select the formations that fit best and recruit to the strengths of your system.

Build in ways you can test some of your ideas. For example, How does your QB perform with a FB in protection versus having all players running routes? Is blitzing effective? If you have things like this that you question, I've found it to be more effective when I test it myself. Often, you will find great coaches have two different viewpoints on a specific topic.

The key is what Lama said - Have Fun! Don't try to win a NC in three seasons. Enjoy the journey and evolve what you do, taking in and testing advice that you get.
1/6/2017 7:20 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.