How many starts to keep a promise? Topic

Posted by darnoc29099 on 1/7/2017 8:32:00 PM (view original):
Nothing happened to those numbers because I never said anything about them.

Assuming nothing changed between 2.0 and 3.0, the other posters are correct regarding 20 or 21 games. It's important to note 20 or 21 games isn't a guarantee. Each player has a certain threshold for guarantees they are willing to accept. Some players may only need 10 starts and will always be happy, some may get upset with only 21 starts and threaten to transfer. Last, while promises apply to the 26 regular season games multiple people have posted starting guys in the CT to get above that 80% threshold has worked and lost WE was recouped in the CT only.

Regarding the 360 number you threw out, I'm pretty sure I gave an example using 260 minutes. If you promise a kid 10 mpg you can't play him 12 minutes the first game of the season, take him off the depth chart, and try and cheat they system that way. If you promise 10mpg he's going to expect to play roughly 260 minutes in the season (26 regular season games x 10mpg). The same logic applies to minutes as it does starts in that you need to fulfill about 80% of the promised minutes but again, each recruit has their own threshold they are willing to accept.
This post is exactly correct in my experience.
1/8/2017 11:38 AM
I presume if the "promised start"- player becomes ineligible during the year that just counts as a missed start, correct?
1/9/2017 11:41 AM
Posted by rednu on 1/7/2017 2:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kashmir75 on 1/7/2017 2:43:00 AM (view original):
It really, really depends on the recruit. High level recruits (and also in relation to the talent on your roster) are harder to please. 21 starts is the safe, no fail way to go. Never had a recruit freak about that. Last season (early november) I was in Italy at the start of the season and missed the entire non-con season so a recruit missed not only his 1st 10 starts, but wasn't even in the depth chart so he missed 10 games entirely. I started him from game 11 to the end of the season and not only did he never complain, but he actually never even dropped a point in WE. I was very surprised by that. I have had a few others over the years who've gotten less than 21 and not had any issues, but the majority who've gotten less have not been very understanding.
Reading this and the first question that jumps into my mind is -- did we somehow revert back to the coding that allows a recruit to only look at games appeared in when calculating starts? I remember when I first started out, i was told I could promise a start, start the kid for one game, leave them out of the lineup the rest of the season and it would be good because the player would think he'd appeared in 100 percent of the games they'd played in for the season.

That's possible, but I can't really say. This particular event wasn't intended to happen, the circumstances were a little outside my control. I don't have much experience in tinkering with promises beyond the 21 game safety threshold as I generally don't promise a start to a player I wouldn't want playing in the starting lineup. (rebuilds don't really count as I usually don't get concerned about wins during a rebuild, per say)

More clearly stated, most players I make promises to during recruiting usually get what they are promised, aside from the occaisional dud who gets removed in the hope that he transfers before I cut him or an injury prone player who moves in and out of the lineup due to being hurt.
1/9/2017 12:40 PM
Posted by makowski33 on 1/9/2017 11:41:00 AM (view original):
I presume if the "promised start"- player becomes ineligible during the year that just counts as a missed start, correct?
In my experience the player doesn't throw a fit *most* of the time. Like maybe 95%? I have had ineligible players and injured players both lose their cool from time to time, but most seem to take it in stride with the circumstances. I do know it isn't a 100% thing
1/9/2017 12:46 PM
Posted by makowski33 on 1/9/2017 11:41:00 AM (view original):
I think games after a guy becomes ineligible are counted as missed starts - but last time I actually tried was dozens of seasons ago.

And of course, just cause you break a promise doesnt mean he will for sure leave - its a risk thing
1/9/2017 12:50 PM
Just to give you an update, my frosh who was promised a start started just 79% of the games he was eligible for and did not transfer. For that matter, he didn't even say a peep all season about starts. He missed 12 games for bad grades.
2/16/2017 5:04 PM
Just to give another example from this past season:

Christopher Edwards was promised a start and 15 minutes. I started him the first 10 games, had him be a backup for 2, started 2 more, and then backup 2 more.

At this point he had started 12/16 games averaging about 19 mpb. But at this point he dropped 28 WE and complained. I put him back into the starting lineup and 3 games later he had recovered 23/28 lost WE. He recovered an additional 2 more WE by seasons end after starting the rest of the games.
2/17/2017 9:37 AM
I have always thought 4 games can be missed during the regular season. Post season doesn't, neither does misses due to injury or grades.
2/17/2017 12:07 PM
Posted by texrangers18 on 2/17/2017 12:07:00 PM (view original):
I have always thought 4 games can be missed during the regular season. Post season doesn't, neither does misses due to injury or grades.
Interesting I didn't know that about injuries!
2/17/2017 12:13 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 1/7/2017 7:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/6/2017 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by metsmax on 1/6/2017 5:39:00 PM (view original):
Been a while since I had to worry about this - is the current wisdom 80% 90%? I have the impression that 90% is sure to please the player and 80% usually but not quite always????

26 games per Darnoc29099
*Sigh*
100% false.
LOL. Should have seen this before I posted. Funny.
2/17/2017 1:23 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/6/2017 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by metsmax on 1/6/2017 5:39:00 PM (view original):
Been a while since I had to worry about this - is the current wisdom 80% 90%? I have the impression that 90% is sure to please the player and 80% usually but not quite always????

26 games per Darnoc29099
You tend to misrepresent things that darnoc29099 has told you. I bet he would appreciate it if you didn't "cite" him.
2/17/2017 1:23 PM
◂ Prev 12
How many starts to keep a promise? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.