Help me get over the hump and win a cup Topic

It seems like I have a good idea of what works in this game in 50 M leagues, but I generally seem to top out out a 2nd rd or Conf. finals finish. Heck, this happened in custom leagues, too.

Any thoughts? I know shooting pct, spending the majority of your budget on high D rating defenceman, avoiding too many PIM, and having at least once centre who can crush it on faceoffs are good,as well as a goalie who can play a majority of games without rest
1/8/2017 2:59 PM
In my opinion goalies and face offs aren't that important. Use a mixture of high point forwards and high d forwards. Guys like Bullard, Maruk, Lemieux, Helman, Duggan, and Finnigan.
1/8/2017 3:29 PM
Chuck wins all the cups. He maxes out to the limit. I've seen him with big Mario and maybe 5 mill Stastny in an open 50m, then cheapies and all the d rate he can get. In the bigs, he has 4 forwares who crush you.. and they are all rated high D.. then he just goes as high as he can on D rate.. 99,97,97, 96, 96, and Dough Harvey 96 ($100m opens) He will go with 2 g.t. one will be a 93% with 30/80 gp, next a 91% with 60/80, and than another 92% 33/80 and once he sees his team is going to go, he sits the high percentage goalies and runs the 91% into the ground.. and has 2 fresh 92+ for the playoffs.
1/9/2017 9:30 AM
Jakyll does much the same formula, but will stretch the stamina, being he will take 2 D who are 60/80 maybe Bouchard 96 an Gorman 95. In the 50m league he will use Klingberg 87 instead of Faulk for the extra 7 D points and if Kling goes down for 4, Jakyll runs with 5 D. One gets fatigued, someone like Haeman can fill the plug on pair 3 but no special team.

Myself, I am a ratios nut. I like a 26 plus 75 Center with 19% or about 135 shots. He doesn;t hog them. Those shots go to the winger. Always over 20% with 55g in 100m sim, In the 50m sim, that's Nolan with his 42. . . Robitaille 45g + 39 with Oates D 64 about 90 shots and 13 plus 69 and that takes 2.5m out of the budget over normal guys but they kill it. Another combo for eg is Janney 13 + 49 dirt cheap with someone like 45g Stoughton. .. and sometimes all that goes for naught.
1/9/2017 9:38 AM
When drafting I ignore stats like +/-. faceoff% and look at this: % pgp and almost all my guys are over 85%. Shot% for wingers.. 19 and 3 over 20. D rate Nada, but the team average has to be high. PIM not a huge one either. most pp not all that hot anyhow. Secord will get tossed a lot. Brian Sutter at $2,6m is awesme and Hunter 2m Nolan 2.8m usually own it. In the bigs, D rates for forwards are low if they are at 68 like with Kurri, Anderson, but I like two who kill it. Best Bossy I have used is still spensive. but 59 goals is great although D 74 seems low. I get more from him then the big 69g Bossy.. The money bossys kill me in the post season. Two stats determine goaies performance. % pgp and save pct. and the second is a very weak factor, although you will die in the 100m lieague if under 91%. G/A, Win-Loss mean zip
1/9/2017 9:46 AM
Phew! hope that helps you

Fifty mill leagues line up examples:

Duggan - $2.8m Maruk - Vaive 52g 3.5m
Helman - Cassels $2.4m - Stoughton 45g/Carson 55g/Bullard 51g

Dennis Hextall 17 + 57 - Big bux Mario - Mark Hunter $2.1m

Other lines have to have Duggan, Langlois, and Helman for upping the D..

Draft44g Secord or Tkachuk.. take 33g vaive as spare part.

So how come I have a losgin record in the post season, and am well over 55% in reg season? SIM hates some of us

1/9/2017 9:52 AM
I won the PT and went out in round one. Sucks
1/9/2017 9:53 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Help me get over the hump and win a cup Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.