Players that should be in the HOF Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 1/11/2017 5:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 1/11/2017 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by farleyfustle on 1/11/2017 10:19:00 AM (view original):
Without researching ill make my list-not in order.Ill skip the steroids users i wouldve voted for.3rd basemen are underrepresented in HOF(like their fielding isnt important).So ill put a couple of those in
1 Graig Nettles
2 Matt Williams
3 Tim Raines
4 Tommy John
5 Jim Kaat
6 Larry Walker
7. Fred Mcgriff
8 Dave Lopes
9 Larry Bowa
10 Lance Parrish
3rd basem,en being underrepresented in the Hall is not a good reason to elect a 3rd basemen who does not belong there. I loved Nettles, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. neither is Matt Williams or Larry Bowa or Davey Lopes. The rest I can see someone making an argument for.
That's a very complicated statement you're making and I suspect that a lot of people - including myself - would tend to disagree with it (Mike and Tec probably agree). Here's the thing. The HOF has between 21 and 24 players at each fielding position except catcher and 3B, but only 17 catchers and only 16 third basemen. Catcher makes a certain amount of sense. Due to the physical demands of the position, there are less guys who play long enough to merit serious consideration. The great majority of HOFers have at least 8000 career PAs, and only 11 guys have every played a substantial amount of catcher and reached that number, 12 if you want to count Biggio who made under 15% of his career starts there. So they're already stretching the rules a bit to get to 17 catchers. But there have been 37 guys at 3B. That's more than 2B but fewer than any other position (except C, of course). So maybe the real problem is that we have too many 2B in the Hall. Some people believe that logic dictates a certain proportion of players should probably be considered HOF-worthy, and if a position is way off of that it might mean the standards have been evaluated incorrectly for that position. With that being said, I don't see any slam dunk 3B candidates on the outside looking in. There's certainly an argument to be made that relative to their position Nettles and maybe Robin Ventura should be in. We'll see what happens with Scott Rolen. But none of these guys are as glaringly obvious to me as Ted Simmons.

TL/DR - Ted Simmons
Yeah, I disagree but not for the reason you think. Once you say "This position is underrepped, we have to let more in", you get guys like BL saying "The standard is that guy. You have to let this guy in."

Then I say "One mistake shouldn't lead to another."

Then we have a 77 page thread in which, at some point, BL says "What do you know? You said Edgar walked too much!!!"
1/11/2017 7:10 PM
Then I say "That's not exactly what I said."

Then he goes back 3 years and pulls a fragment of the discussion out and says "SEE?"

Then I say "Post the whole quote, dumbass."

Then he says "Nope. It's right there for all to see."

I mention something about context.

He ignores me.

Eventually I get bored and move on because I know we'll do this again same time next year.
1/11/2017 7:13 PM
Right about now is when Tec pops us with his "WAR, ************!!!" mantra
1/11/2017 7:17 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 1/11/2017 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Like I said, Nettles was one of my favorite Yankees from that era, but its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Longevity. He was a very good player, but I don't think he was ever the best 3rd baseman in the game during his career.
Nettles was also one of my favorites. I think he had a couple of years in the late 70's, during the Yankee's WS years of 76-78 (after Brooks Robinson fell out and before Buddy Bell moved into his prime), where he could make a claim to be the best overall 3B in the game.

But I also never thought of him as a HOFer. Though overall, he had a very nice career.
1/11/2017 7:33 PM
Nettles deserves HOF consideration for dumping that mouthyfuck Bill Lee on his shoulder and getting him to STFU for a couple of seconds.
1/11/2017 7:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 7:38:00 PM (view original):
Nettles deserves HOF consideration for dumping that mouthyfuck Bill Lee on his shoulder and getting him to STFU for a couple of seconds.
1/11/2017 8:07 PM
I forgot that key stat.Anyway i dumped Bowa & put Kent on my list.I wish someone would comment on Garvey or York or make their own list.
1/11/2017 11:59 PM
Posted by farleyfustle on 1/11/2017 11:59:00 PM (view original):
I forgot that key stat.Anyway i dumped Bowa & put Kent on my list.I wish someone would comment on Garvey or York or make their own list.
What about Kenny Lofton? Do you think he deserves consideration?
1/12/2017 7:36 AM
Garvey was a good player. All-Star. Hall of Fame? No. Not even a consideration.

Despite being a lifelong Yankees fan, I loved the Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Russell infield and Luzinski, Maddox, McBride outfield in the 70s. Since they were NL, I felt no conflict of interest. Not sure if that IF was intact when Reggie was hit by a throw near 1B during the WS but I know Garvey was crying like a ***** about it.
1/12/2017 8:40 AM
I always think trammell deserved better recognition.

Did not help him that once he left we had the holy trinity of juiced SSs smack balls like we have never seen SSs smack balls before.
1/12/2017 9:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/12/2017 8:40:00 AM (view original):

Despite being a lifelong Yankees fan, I loved the Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Russell infield and Luzinski, Maddox, McBride outfield in the 70s. Since they were NL, I felt no conflict of interest. Not sure if that IF was intact when Reggie was hit by a throw near 1B during the WS but I know Garvey was crying like a ***** about it.
I'm pretty sure the infield was still intact. I think it was Russell who threw the ball.
1/12/2017 10:21 AM
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18447804/does-character-count-cooperstown-hall-famers-weigh-in

Good piece. Just goes to show you how a lot of writers get all self-important and impose their own high and lofty standards on potential HOFers
1/12/2017 10:34 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/12/2017 10:21:00 AM (view original):

I'm pretty sure the infield was still intact. I think it was Russell who threw the ball.
I'm pretty sure it was a DP attempt. Reggie was already out.
1/12/2017 10:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/12/2017 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 1/12/2017 10:21:00 AM (view original):

I'm pretty sure it was a DP attempt. Reggie was already out.
Yeah. It was a low line drive that Russell intentionally dropped, then stepped on second for the force and threw on to first for the attempted DP. Reggie was frozen by the line drive.
1/12/2017 11:16 AM
Yeah, all 4 were still with LA. Oddly enough, if you plug in 1977 World Series, this is one of the photos:

1/12/2017 11:22 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Players that should be in the HOF Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.