quick scouting question - I hope Topic

I'm not a patient scouter so I go full speed ahead and try to get my list done the first day of scouting.

So for the last two season I seem to blowing through my scouting money way too quickly using individual scouting trips/asst searches and scouting up guys in bulk. I start with FSSing about six or seven states around. I've not done any camps in the last two years. I'm trying to focus on 300 mile range but $ money is gone so quick and my list of potential kids is not as great as I hoped. I end up finding more players in low 500 ranges and below. Do I need to more selective based on letter grades instead of shotgun approach on top 50 in my FSS? Any tips would be appreciated.
1/10/2017 10:58 AM (edited)
Very shocking you can blow through that much money at D1... I really expected to see you at D3 with this comment. I scout very similarly and yes I run out of money but not too soon.
1/10/2017 11:17 AM
I'm coming at this from a D2 perspective, so take that for what it's worth - which probably isn't much. But I would say forget about the individual scouting trips. I bet I only send individual scouting trips to 3-5 guys a session. And normally they are already at a level 3. This is at the end after I've focused on mass recruiting. I want numbers first, then at the end, or if recruiting is not going the way I planned, I can focus in on the traits I want and individually scout - (which is easy because I have loads of people at level 1 and 2 still).

If you have any other questions, or this isn't clear, feel free to send me a PM.

thin
1/10/2017 12:58 PM
Sounds like you might be scouting too many to level 4, too fast. That is how I recruited until I found out how important "preferences" are to the signing process. I scout at D1 level two to 200 (or 400 depending what side of Country). At level two you will see the preferences. I then rate guys by rating system Very Good +2 Good +1 Neutral 0 Bad -1 Very Bad -2. I then look at everybody that is a positive number at this point and look at Offense and Defense, GPA, and WE Rating, and if I still have prospects that match positions I am recruiting, I recruit them to level 3. At this level I look for players tapped out mainly, and then on to level 4 with those that still match what I am looking for. If I do not have prospects enough, I will go to Level 2 that are at Zero and repeat. If I am still not filling enough recruits, I will go to Off/Def skills not like I play, or lower WE. But never will I recruit enmasse to level 4. You need to treat your scouting money like gold, because I have also ended up on the last day with ZERO prospects unsigned in my pool, and tons of recruiting cash. At that point you are worse then screwed. You know players exist, that you can offer, but with zero guys in your pool, you cannot offer anyone unless you have a transfer email pop up. Then it is walk on time. I had to resign my Penn State team a season ago because I knew the computer could recruit ten guys better then I could.
1/10/2017 12:58 PM
I stop at level 3 if potential doesn't look good but really only use FSS and Individual scouting.
1/10/2017 3:15 PM
quick scouting question - I hope Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.