This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by mullycj on 1/10/2017 8:17:00 PM (view original):
Marketing
Shortly after the final two worlds upgrade to 3.0, we will begin a marketing campaign to drive new owners into the game. This will involve both the WhatIfSports and FOX Sports properties. We have a great game that is now available to play on any device and is easier for newcomers to comprehend and enjoy. Combine this with our helpful, veteran user base and we should expect to see fuller worlds with greater competition than ever before.

(9/27/16)

Did I miss the campaign? Or was it Champagne?

Many called this, but we're whiners.
1/11/2017 12:20 AM
"drive new owners into the game"

Hi, I'm MikeT23 and I'm a new owner.
1/11/2017 7:09 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 7:09:00 AM (view original):
"drive new owners into the game"

Hi, I'm MikeT23 and I'm a new owner.
Kind of. You were a previous owner who has now come back.
1/11/2017 7:10 AM
10 years gone with no thought of returning.
1/11/2017 7:12 AM
They filled the worlds with players from free games .. that was marketing. Lots of people showed up. People did not stay. People get to choose.

They provided people with free games to advertise on facebook. Lots of people did it.

They will be advertising on FOX Sports during the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournament.

You can't make people play.

All I care about is I like to play nd that I recommend it to my friends.
1/11/2017 9:14 AM
I'm sure someone did the math but, just from what I saw, D3 in all worlds showed a huge increase and has since tapered off. I think it was 50-150 per world. That's a thousand people who came, saw and most left. Not sure what else can be done.
1/11/2017 9:18 AM
Oh so having US do their job through word of mouth is marketing?? OK I must have missed that class in college.

And how will they be advertising during the tournament? Do you have more details on this?
1/11/2017 9:20 AM
More free seasons, which mostly people with teams already make a new account to take advantage of it. This game should be an easy sell with great advertisement, but it's not.
1/11/2017 11:53 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 9:18:00 AM (view original):
I'm sure someone did the math but, just from what I saw, D3 in all worlds showed a huge increase and has since tapered off. I think it was 50-150 per world. That's a thousand people who came, saw and most left. Not sure what else can be done.
What else could be done? Hmmm.... I don't know. Maybe not screwing with a product and driving away loyal users. Or, maybe fixing the egregious issues still present after you do make changes to said product?
1/11/2017 11:56 AM
The product was stale. That's a simple fact. Even the most ardent haters of 3.0 will say that membership had been stagnant for years.

Change after change after change would kill it. They made a major change and more frequent, small changes would not allow time to find out if the major change worked as intended.

And I don't think it's an easy sell. Think about what you are doing. The market is limited. Not many people want to pour over numbers of fake players.
1/11/2017 12:10 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 1/11/2017 9:16:00 AM (view original):
They filled the worlds with players from free games .. that was marketing. Lots of people showed up. People did not stay. People get to choose.

They provided people with free games to advertise on facebook. Lots of people did it.

They will be advertising on FOX Sports during the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournament.

Free games is only going to appeal to the people already looking for it or who already know about it. That serves very little purpose in bringing in new customers if the people who see already knew about it. This is like Mcdonalds (HD) advertising inside of Mcdonalds (WIS) hidden in another building (FOX Sports).

Facebook advertising is a nice first step, but really, that's it? That was the grand advertising push they promised?

Why aren't they always advertising on FOX sports? ****, run a ticker at the bottom with the sports scores during sports games on your channel just to advertise WIS. Millions will see it, and it's not costing them advertising space like a commercial.

As far as people showing up and not staying, that's the normal course of business. If a Mcdonald's commercial is seen by 10 million people, they don't expect 10million customers do to that ad.
1/11/2017 8:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 12:10:00 PM (view original):
The product was stale. That's a simple fact. Even the most ardent haters of 3.0 will say that membership had been stagnant for years.

Change after change after change would kill it. They made a major change and more frequent, small changes would not allow time to find out if the major change worked as intended.

And I don't think it's an easy sell. Think about what you are doing. The market is limited. Not many people want to pour over numbers of fake players.
I think the market is bigger than it's being given credit. It is niche, but there are lots of people out there into this kind of thing. You can't prove the market is so small if you never even try to expose it to the outside world. Like I said in my post above, Facebook was a decent start, but why doesn't FOX use their resources to in additional ways. Stream bits about WIS occasionally on their sports ticker, Occasionally put a noticeable block on the front page of your website. ESPN used to do this all the time for their little **** flash games.

Think about the fact you say people won't pour hours into fake players, but in Fantasy, millions of people pour hours into numbers of players that you can't predict on a week to week basis. This isn't that much different other than it being fake players, and you're not restricted by a long offseason.
1/11/2017 8:54 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/11/2017 8:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 1/11/2017 9:16:00 AM (view original):

Free games is only going to appeal to the people already looking for it or who already know about it. That serves very little purpose in bringing in new customers if the people who see already knew about it. This is like Mcdonalds (HD) advertising inside of Mcdonalds (WIS) hidden in another building (FOX Sports).

Facebook advertising is a nice first step, but really, that's it? That was the grand advertising push they promised?

Why aren't they always advertising on FOX sports? ****, run a ticker at the bottom with the sports scores during sports games on your channel just to advertise WIS. Millions will see it, and it's not costing them advertising space like a commercial.

As far as people showing up and not staying, that's the normal course of business. If a Mcdonald's commercial is seen by 10 million people, they don't expect 10million customers do to that ad.
YUP!

I hate free season tactic. Doesn't work. Give me a BOGO or discount or something else. Just TELL people about the game and they will pay for it. Field of dreams basically...

You can't make people play but you can make people aware of your product. Thats priority #1.

And Hughes, you realize that without customers then this game will cease to exist? They're not going to keep HD going so you can play Sims all by yourself.
1/11/2017 8:58 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/11/2017 8:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 12:10:00 PM (view original):

I think the market is bigger than it's being given credit. It is niche, but there are lots of people out there into this kind of thing. You can't prove the market is so small if you never even try to expose it to the outside world. Like I said in my post above, Facebook was a decent start, but why doesn't FOX use their resources to in additional ways. Stream bits about WIS occasionally on their sports ticker, Occasionally put a noticeable block on the front page of your website. ESPN used to do this all the time for their little **** flash games.

Think about the fact you say people won't pour hours into fake players, but in Fantasy, millions of people pour hours into numbers of players that you can't predict on a week to week basis. This isn't that much different other than it being fake players, and you're not restricted by a long offseason.
Another great post.

why is this such a niche? People like sports. People like computer games. People will pay for entertainment. The potential market is HUGE!

Are we all just complete freaks and degenerates who had no where else to go?... okay maybe don't answer this one...
1/11/2017 9:02 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.