Posted by Benis on 1/11/2017 9:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/11/2017 8:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 12:10:00 PM (view original):
The product was stale. That's a simple fact. Even the most ardent haters of 3.0 will say that membership had been stagnant for years.

Change after change after change would kill it. They made a major change and more frequent, small changes would not allow time to find out if the major change worked as intended.

And I don't think it's an easy sell. Think about what you are doing. The market is limited. Not many people want to pour over numbers of fake players.
I think the market is bigger than it's being given credit. It is niche, but there are lots of people out there into this kind of thing. You can't prove the market is so small if you never even try to expose it to the outside world. Like I said in my post above, Facebook was a decent start, but why doesn't FOX use their resources to in additional ways. Stream bits about WIS occasionally on their sports ticker, Occasionally put a noticeable block on the front page of your website. ESPN used to do this all the time for their little **** flash games.

Think about the fact you say people won't pour hours into fake players, but in Fantasy, millions of people pour hours into numbers of players that you can't predict on a week to week basis. This isn't that much different other than it being fake players, and you're not restricted by a long offseason.
Another great post.

why is this such a niche? People like sports. People like computer games. People will pay for entertainment. The potential market is HUGE!

Are we all just complete freaks and degenerates who had no where else to go?... okay maybe don't answer this one...
Do you know the difference between fantasy games and simsport games? Money. You play for money in fantasy. Now, just maybe, you play for fun. But 99% of fantasy players are playing for the almighty dollar.
1/11/2017 9:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 9:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/11/2017 9:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/11/2017 8:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 12:10:00 PM (view original):
The product was stale. That's a simple fact. Even the most ardent haters of 3.0 will say that membership had been stagnant for years.

Change after change after change would kill it. They made a major change and more frequent, small changes would not allow time to find out if the major change worked as intended.

And I don't think it's an easy sell. Think about what you are doing. The market is limited. Not many people want to pour over numbers of fake players.
I think the market is bigger than it's being given credit. It is niche, but there are lots of people out there into this kind of thing. You can't prove the market is so small if you never even try to expose it to the outside world. Like I said in my post above, Facebook was a decent start, but why doesn't FOX use their resources to in additional ways. Stream bits about WIS occasionally on their sports ticker, Occasionally put a noticeable block on the front page of your website. ESPN used to do this all the time for their little **** flash games.

Think about the fact you say people won't pour hours into fake players, but in Fantasy, millions of people pour hours into numbers of players that you can't predict on a week to week basis. This isn't that much different other than it being fake players, and you're not restricted by a long offseason.
Another great post.

why is this such a niche? People like sports. People like computer games. People will pay for entertainment. The potential market is HUGE!

Are we all just complete freaks and degenerates who had no where else to go?... okay maybe don't answer this one...
Do you know the difference between fantasy games and simsport games? Money. You play for money in fantasy. Now, just maybe, you play for fun. But 99% of fantasy players are playing for the almighty dollar.
There are easier and faster ways to make a buck. They have fan duel for that.

ive never viewed fantasy as gambling. I started playing when I was in middle school and we didnt start putting money in for it until college.

MAYBE you could say that for March Madness. But even then, very few people actually get money. You do it because its FUN.
1/11/2017 9:10 PM
There's a rooting interest in watching a game that you otherwise wouldn't give a damn about. HD does not have that.
1/11/2017 9:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 9:12:00 PM (view original):
There's a rooting interest in watching a game that you otherwise wouldn't give a damn about. HD does not have that.
That's a good idea. We need to get some video simulations for these games. Even Super Nintendo NBA Live '94 graphics. Would be badass.

Im not even joking. I think thatd be awesome.
1/11/2017 9:14 PM
Well, OK.

Nonetheless, I'm not poo-pooing the game. It's just not for everyone.

Most of the men in my family hunt. I have no interest in standing/sitting outside in the cold hoping an animal strolls by so I can shoot it. I've been told it's also a "quiet time" to clear your mind. I'd rather go to the gym. My somewhat feeble mind can go blank there. But the gym isn't for everyone either even though I can't imagine a reason not to go. Yet some people would rather watch Springer and eat chocolate ice cream.

Everything isn't for everyone. Sitting in front a computer, managing fake players and winning credits so you can do it again is rather niche'.
1/11/2017 9:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 9:19:00 PM (view original):
Well, OK.

Most of the men in my family hunt. I have no interest in standing/sitting outside in the cold hoping an animal strolls by so I can shoot it. I've been told it's also a "quiet time" to clear your mind. I'd rather go to the gym. My somewhat feeble mind can go blank there. But the gym isn't for everyone either even though I can't imagine a reason not to go. Yet some people would rather watch Springer and eat chocolate ice cream.

Everything isn't for everyone. Sitting in front a computer, managing fake players and winning credits so you can do it again is rather niche'.
Close.

Its my soaps and Vanilla ice cream
1/11/2017 9:23 PM
Sure everyone has different tastes and ideas for what is fun to them.

but look at all the nerds playing world of Warcraft. Theyre sitting in front a computer buying fake weapons with fake money for fake monster guy. They're paying money on a subscription basis for that form of entertainment.

different strokes for different folks.

If this was some half baked idea that looked crappy then I'd agree. But regardless how you feel about the mechanics the look and feel is polished and is top notch. IMHO its a marketable game.
1/11/2017 9:25 PM
I think we agree that it's marketable. But we disagree on the size of the market.
1/11/2017 9:30 PM
Posted by mullycj on 1/11/2017 9:20:00 AM (view original):
Oh so having US do their job through word of mouth is marketing?? OK I must have missed that class in college.

And how will they be advertising during the tournament? Do you have more details on this?
For your number 1 .. it is called community. Red Hat is a two billion dollar company selling support for free software. And people help them develop their software for free. The world is changing ...
1/11/2017 9:38 PM
Posted by supersloth33 on 1/11/2017 9:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 9:19:00 PM (view original):
Well, OK.

Close.

Its my soaps and Vanilla ice cream
I would so like to mock this but this is what I did for 4.5 months while unemployed:

6 AM - get up, go to gym
8 to 1:30 - do something constructive like look for job, laundry, clean house, etc
1:30 to 3 - have lunch, watch Bold and the Beautiful, As the World Turns
3 to 4:30 - go to gym again
5 - cook dinner

Never forget Brooke, Thorne and Ridge. Great soap names.
1/11/2017 9:40 PM
Damn, it's still on and the same chick is still playing Brooke. Wonder if I missed anything over the last 25 years?
1/11/2017 9:55 PM
Saw a whatifsports.com ad while watching the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats this evening (FS1). First time I've seen it. It was scrolling on the bottom ticker. Hopefully it's the start of a full marketing strategy.
1/24/2017 9:15 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.