Ideas for changes (that dont involve 3.0) Topic

Some might call me crazy, but...
1-I think that baseline prestige should be floating. like a 30 season average or something like that. Like Tarvolon's Oral Roberts team. that school has definitely built up a rep for being a quality program. I think this would add an interesting twist and a longer term goal for some coaches. Duke wasnt always a powerhouse - coach K built up the reputation of the program, and now they are basically the definition of a real life baseline A+ prestige
2-I think there should be a bigger punishment for not shooting 3's. I'm no expert on college ball, but I know the NBA pretty well. Its REALLY hard to create a league average offense when you have fewer than 3 shooters on the floor. Teams just sag off of the pick and roll and ignore the non-shooters. Example in game: aaron gordon cannot run a pick and roll because the defense goes into -5 mode. Example for a team: memphis grizzlies havent been able to shoot in years and so have had a below average offense despite talented offensive players
3-I think you should have more involvement in game planning. Things like "does my team crash the offensive glass? or get back on transition D?" Again, NBA reference here, but the pelicans do not crash the offensive glass at all - when the shot is chucked they immediately get back on defense and that really helps to limit the other teams fastbreak points. The Bulls on the other hand LOVE crashing the offensive glass and get a ton of 2nd chance buckets but give up a ton of fastbreak points. Thats a legitimate coaching choice, and one that would add some more game planning skill
1/10/2017 11:43 PM (edited)
Posted by benrudy on 1/10/2017 11:43:00 PM (view original):
1-I think that baseline prestige should be floating. like a 30 season average or something like that. Like Tarvolon's Oral Roberts team. that school has definitely built up a rep for being a quality program. I think this would add an interesting twist and a longer term goal for some coaches. Duke wasnt always a powerhouse - coach K built up the reputation of the program, and now they are basically the definition of a real life baseline A+ prestige
2-I think there should be a bigger punishment for not shooting 3's. I'm no expert on college ball, but I know the NBA pretty well. Its REALLY hard to create a league average offense when you have fewer than 3 shooters on the floor. Teams just sag off of the pick and roll and ignore the non-shooters. Example in game: aaron gordon cannot run a pick and roll because the defense goes into -5 mode. Example for a team: memphis grizzlies havent been able to shoot in years and so have had a below average offense despite talented offensive players
3-I think you should have more involvement in game planning. Things like "does my team crash the offensive glass? or get back on transition D?" Again, NBA reference here, but the pelicans do not crash the offensive glass at all - when the shot is chucked they immediately get back on defense and that really helps to limit the other teams fastbreak points. The Bulls on the other hand LOVE crashing the offensive glass and get a ton of 2nd chance buckets but give up a ton of fastbreak points. Thats a legitimate coaching choice, and one that would add some more game planning skill
We are not trying to bring realisim to the game but a game that works best for a sim college basketball game.
1/10/2017 11:48 PM
I've been pounding the idea of point 1 for about 8 years. I think it would be pretty awesome and would allow non Big 6 programs a chance to be on the same level without some of the stupid stuff that has been added currently.
1/11/2017 12:17 AM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/10/2017 11:48:00 PM (view original):
We are not trying to bring realisim to the game but a game that works best for a sim college basketball game.
Funny, because I remember a ton of 3.0 supporters banging the more "realistic" drum in the beginning. The game would work better as a sim by allowing a dynamic prestige, because it would truly allow you to take whatever team you might desire and build it into a true dynasty. This is a case where realism would be beneficial.
1/11/2017 12:19 AM
I think these suggestions are fun AND would work well for a sim college basketball game. Can't we have both? Which points do you think don't work well in a sim college basketball game?

I think points 1 and 2 are already in the game, its just a matter of changing the way the math works behind the scenes. Point 3 would just be an additional toggle, similar to how you do the whole tempo thing...
1/11/2017 12:23 AM
Posted by benrudy on 1/11/2017 12:23:00 AM (view original):
I think these suggestions are fun AND would work well for a sim college basketball game. Can't we have both? Which points do you think don't work well in a sim college basketball game?

I think points 1 and 2 are already in the game, its just a matter of changing the way the math works behind the scenes. Point 3 would just be an additional toggle, similar to how you do the whole tempo thing...
That's not up to me, I am just trying to have what is best for the game.
1/11/2017 12:32 AM
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/11/2017 12:17:00 AM (view original):
I've been pounding the idea of point 1 for about 8 years. I think it would be pretty awesome and would allow non Big 6 programs a chance to be on the same level without some of the stupid stuff that has been added currently.
have people been receptive to it in the past? It would mean the worlds might look a little odd eventually - Oral Roberts winning championship after championship while duke fails to make the playoffs... but hey, we have Georgia Tech winning championships all the time now
1/11/2017 12:39 AM
So then maybe provide actual analysis for why you think these ideas don't work in a sim college basketball game rather than just flap your gums and increase your posts-to-wins ratio further?

1. Has been floated on and off in the forums and I think even made a dev chat once. It hits an argument between whether the game should cling to realism as far as who the power programs are (and argument that gets sillier by the year since those baselines, like the conferences, are rooted in college basketball more than a decade ago...). Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement and, while it would be odd to some to see Grambling St. (or any random team) to be a powerhouse, it would also capture the essence of what the game is billed as...allowing you to build YOUR program and make it YOUR dynasty.
2. Doesn't seem to me to be a problem. We don't have an epidemic of teams not shooting 3's and winning like crazy against -5 defenses. If anything, I'd argue we have an abundance of coaches who enable the strategy to be as effective as it is by refusing to run a -5 against teams that blatantly don't shoot 3's. I certainly don't think the strategy is some magic elixir that's revealed a fatal flaw in the game that we should all be flocking toward. I still tend to silently say a thank you whenever I see one of my opponents utilizing the strategy.
3. There have been a number of game planning ideas suggested over the years (I always wondered why one can't set a preference order for defenders on my opponent's players in a man-for-man defense...HBD lets me set all my batters in a hierarchy for various in-game situations, seems a similar stacking of players could be done for teams choosing to run a man defense. The biggest issue here is that all of those things require a serious amount of reprogramming to add to the game. And that's something that WIS doesn't seem to invest a lot of time into doing given the calendar years between significant changes.
1/11/2017 12:48 AM
Posted by rednu on 1/11/2017 12:48:00 AM (view original):
So then maybe provide actual analysis for why you think these ideas don't work in a sim college basketball game rather than just flap your gums and increase your posts-to-wins ratio further?

1. Has been floated on and off in the forums and I think even made a dev chat once. It hits an argument between whether the game should cling to realism as far as who the power programs are (and argument that gets sillier by the year since those baselines, like the conferences, are rooted in college basketball more than a decade ago...). Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement and, while it would be odd to some to see Grambling St. (or any random team) to be a powerhouse, it would also capture the essence of what the game is billed as...allowing you to build YOUR program and make it YOUR dynasty.
2. Doesn't seem to me to be a problem. We don't have an epidemic of teams not shooting 3's and winning like crazy against -5 defenses. If anything, I'd argue we have an abundance of coaches who enable the strategy to be as effective as it is by refusing to run a -5 against teams that blatantly don't shoot 3's. I certainly don't think the strategy is some magic elixir that's revealed a fatal flaw in the game that we should all be flocking toward. I still tend to silently say a thank you whenever I see one of my opponents utilizing the strategy.
3. There have been a number of game planning ideas suggested over the years (I always wondered why one can't set a preference order for defenders on my opponent's players in a man-for-man defense...HBD lets me set all my batters in a hierarchy for various in-game situations, seems a similar stacking of players could be done for teams choosing to run a man defense. The biggest issue here is that all of those things require a serious amount of reprogramming to add to the game. And that's something that WIS doesn't seem to invest a lot of time into doing given the calendar years between significant changes.
1. totally fair
2. i think i might just see a ton of it as i play a lot at D3, and so i play the likes of mfnmeyers dicksinson, Long_ge's la grange, 43tj's ferrum in Crum, for example. Its a huge jump in skill from D3 to the NBA so maybe my theory on the value of the 3 is just way off at that level and you should be able to succeed without being able to shoot?
3. totally fair. im suprised the reprogramming is that tough for these, but i trust you on that
1/11/2017 1:11 AM
1. Info boxes throughout the site that can be turned off. Would be great for newbies yo have an interactive guide.
2. A button on the practice plan that allows you to just click the minimum amount of mins to send players to study hall while staying eligible. This is everyone's goal and there's little to no skill in determining study hall mins. Always feels like an annoyance currently.
1/11/2017 6:42 AM
Why not mark certain World's as floating base prestige, and let us users decide with our joining/leaving said World's as to whether we want it or not. The remaining World's can be "Real Life Based".

Specific Match Up on defense Man to Man.
1/11/2017 11:29 AM
Posted by wvufan76 on 1/11/2017 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Why not mark certain World's as floating base prestige, and let us users decide with our joining/leaving said World's as to whether we want it or not. The remaining World's can be "Real Life Based".

I would be fine with that. I like the floating prestige idea, because it would make every world in HD unique. Let's say in Tark, UCLA is a beast and California Riverside is your typical scrub team, but in Crum, it's the complete opposite. It would be very interesting to pop into a world and find someone has made their hometown school a DI powerhouse.
1/11/2017 8:38 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 1/11/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wvufan76 on 1/11/2017 11:29:00 AM (view original):

I would be fine with that. I like the floating prestige idea, because it would make every world in HD unique. Let's say in Tark, UCLA is a beast and California Riverside is your typical scrub team, but in Crum, it's the complete opposite. It would be very interesting to pop into a world and find someone has made their hometown school a DI powerhouse.
and it adds some fun where a couple people can get together and try to take the Patriot League and turn it into the best conference
1/11/2017 9:30 PM
Ideas for changes (that dont involve 3.0) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.