Beating the Fullcourt Press Topic

As I mentioned to snafu, I lost the TO points battle 13-2 and the 3 pt game 15-3(although I used attempts/made). In an 11 point game, that's pretty damn significant. I don't take very many 3s because I don't have PER shooters so it was the TO points that I was trying to stop.

But, again, I think I have a better team. Perhaps I phrased it wrong both times, I had another FCP thread, but I was attempting to find out what I could do against the FCP until I get different players. From the responses I've got, it's "cross your fingers". Which is fine.

From the exchanges we've had(even yesterday), I felt you understood I had a bad team and that I knew it. Your first post felt very trollish.

As for L-W posts, it's three-headed. 1) I don't care to read them unless there's something to be learned. Arguing about MLB-HOF, yeah, don't care. Two lines and STFU. 2) I do this while I work. I get interrupted. I come back, finish my thought, hit send and the first half/second half of my posts make no sense together. 3) I have 48k posts. If they were long, I'd have no time to work or play the damn games.
1/11/2017 3:49 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/11/2017 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Not that you care or that I need to justify anything but here's the "logic" behind Pritts and his C IQ at PG.

He and Zeier are pretty equivalent in BH/P. Zeier has a better IQ, C+, but Pritts is far more athletic. Zeier has a 2 pt speed edge. On a per minute basis, they get the same TO/STL. Truth is, Pritts plays better at SG and SF. I'd rather do that but that's not my team. I can't use him at SF because I'm already screwed in REB since I found out Wagner, who I thought would be my b/u PF, is all but useless.

And, for god measure, I was doing a +/- points, for each player at each position, for awhile but decided it might be pointless. I haven't seen anyone mention it and, quite frankly, it was sucking the fun out of the game. There's more behind the curtain than you think.
Mike - to be clear, I'm not trying to criticize your lineup choices. You have very little to choose from at the moment and you need to over come SIM recruits. Not much you can do.

But when you ask about being able to beat the press, you're simply going to struggle against it in the short term. I interpreted your initial post as being confused on how the game works because you believed that you DID have enough talent to beat a press and I was just pointing out that I just don't think you do based upon your starting backcourt's ratings. It's just a horrible style matchup for your team.

My initial question of "why do you think your team is more talented" wasn't really meant to argumentative but I can see how it came off that way. It was more an attempt for me (or others if they're interested) to see what your logic is or how you're evaluating your team. Maybe you were seeing something that wasn't there was my hunch after looking at the two teams.

So when you just showed me the ratings of the two teams and showed the differences of average ratings, it told me that you were looking at the wrong information. I didn't realize your hatred of long detailed posts.

But I still believe you can't use the average ratings to evaluate why you lost a game. Using the averages, it looks like you and him are even in PER. It's pretty darn close using that number. But in reality, he is better there. Not by insurmountable amounts but he has two guys with over 70 PER. He made 5-9 3s in that game and that was a big difference in scoring.

Your PG scored pretty effectively actually but he had 0 assists and 4 turnovers. Not a big surprise though based upon his BH/Pass/IQ against a press.
Remember the good old days when more often than not, people responded to other people's post in this way? or at least in a similar way, rather than every post just being a free-for-all argument?

Kudos to you, Benis.
1/11/2017 3:51 PM
My assumption is you didn't read his other posts in this thread. Combative, derogatory and argumentative would be the definition.

None of which bothers me except for the "What did I do?" that followed them.
1/11/2017 4:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/11/2017 4:06:00 PM (view original):
My assumption is you didn't read his other posts in this thread. Combative, derogatory and argumentative would be the definition.

None of which bothers me except for the "What did I do?" that followed them.
I did. Most of them anyway. Which is exactly why I posted what I did. All of that **** is the reason why it's so hard to even have a discussion in these forums. It didn't used to be the way it is now. Yes, there was always and always will be an element of the negative kinda crap, but overall, the forums were a good place to get all kinds of useful feedback and that's been missing for several years now.

I'm also pretty familiar with you and the poster you tend to be in the forums. I spent a lot of time reading your HBD threads way back when and I found them useful and the discussion that went on was as helpful to me as an HBD player as anything else was, more so than most. You don't have much, if any patience with BS and people spouting just to spout. You will (and have) both read and posted LONG LONG posts, provided that they are on topic and relevant to the discussion. You tend to not pull many punches and that rubs people the wrong way, but I prefer blunt answers to flowery BS.

The point of it all was not to say anyone was right or wrong, but to point out that discussions CAN be had here, but not if everyone would rather fling insults and **** at each other instead of honestly trying to have the discussion. No one has to agree with anyone else, but that doesn't mean things can't be discussed. It means people have to want to have the discussion.

1/11/2017 4:31 PM
That's fair. And I tend to agree.

I do think this is the most negative forum on WifS. That may not be fair as I don't frequent the forums of the games I don't play. I know SLB was bad at one time but I haven't played SLB, with any real intent, in years. HBD has had it's moments but HD has just been constant. I read this one 2-3 weeks without comment and, if I were an actual n00b, I would have played my free season(if I didn't just drop it as 1st season does suck) and moved on. Either people don't realize this or they just don't care. Or perhaps it's intentional to sabotage the game and "force" WifS to make changes.
1/11/2017 4:56 PM
Rematch tonight!!!! I'm favored by 1. Expect to lose by 8. We shall see!!!!!
1/13/2017 9:23 AM
Few days off. Benis is right, in that your team is not well-equipped to handle the press. However, S. Maine is a really, really bad press team. He's trying to only go 9 deep, is very bad in ath and def, and very vulnerable in stamina. Go uptempo. You're going to give up turnovers, no way around that. This is the consequence of having a speed/bh disadvantage against a press. But you're going to get him in foul trouble. Expand your rotation to 11 and go uptempo, feed Harris, Snyder and Devin (and Vivovsky off the bench). That's how you attack this particular team, IMO.
1/13/2017 10:51 AM
We returned the favor and beat the **** out of 'em.
1/14/2017 6:57 PM
Nice turnaround. Very nice. Also nice adjustment to your 3 point shooting. Have you thought about letting Franklin have the ball a bit more, maybe shoot a few 3's too?
1/14/2017 7:44 PM
Franklin has been a puzzle I can't solve. He's a +1 for 3s but seems to be shooting less since I changed him. I've bounced his DIST up/down but he shoots poorer when it's up. I was sorta hoping he'd be a Vinnie Johnson off the bench but it hasn't happened.
1/14/2017 7:51 PM
Ah. Recurring problem. Good luck, I have yet to ever solve that problem except through graduation.
1/14/2017 8:18 PM
Posted by kashmir75 on 1/14/2017 7:44:00 PM (view original):
Nice turnaround. Very nice. Also nice adjustment to your 3 point shooting. Have you thought about letting Franklin have the ball a bit more, maybe shoot a few 3's too?
I cut Franklin. F that guy.
2/5/2017 1:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/5/2017 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kashmir75 on 1/14/2017 7:44:00 PM (view original):
I cut Franklin. F that guy.
Much quicker than graduation. I get a guy like that, I cut them too unless they bring a lot more to the table than the irritation they cause.
2/5/2017 2:18 PM
It was him or me. And he didn't pay 12 bucks.
2/5/2017 2:19 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but if you want to have a great shot at beating the press, use Slowdown. That way, your best players stay on the floor and it limits their opportunities on offense as well. Look for mismatches that you can exploit too.

You'd think a pressing team still has success against a slowdown, because they are still pressing, but it seems that the slowdown does crazy things in the engine.
2/6/2017 12:01 PM
◂ Prev 123
Beating the Fullcourt Press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.