File this one under things I used to know, but need a reminder on:

I've got my eyes on a pretty stellar recruit, the only problem is that he's Ineligible. Is recruiting him worth it? What does it take for an Ineligible to become eligible?
1/12/2017 11:28 AM
Posted by mb625 on 1/12/2017 11:28:00 AM (view original):
File this one under things I used to know, but need a reminder on:

I've got my eyes on a pretty stellar recruit, the only problem is that he's Ineligible. Is recruiting him worth it? What does it take for an Ineligible to become eligible?
Since you are at D2, the risk is that he does not show up to your school even if he signs with you (goes JUCO instead). You will keep some of your recruiting effort when he appears recruitable again next season (with 1 less year of eligibility) but he could be clear across the country. In my experience, putting in more effort increases your chances he shows up and whether you are over-reaching above your level.

If he does sign with you and shows up, then he will sit the first year and can not appear in any games (and doesn't practice either). For D2 schools, he will however still have 4 additional years of eligibility (he will be tagged as a 5th year senior in that final season SO, JR, SR, SR/5). At D1, he has to maintain a career 2.8 GPA to be eligible for that 5th year (D3 they can play immediately and don't sit out at all).

As for becoming eligible, during recruiting and all the way up to the new season starting, players *might* take (and pass) the SAT. If they pass they become eligible and any restrictions are lifted. Once they show up and they're still tagged ineligible then they remain that way for the entire season.
1/12/2017 11:58 AM (edited)
definitely worth recruiting if you like him. usually there is less competition for them too.

fun fact, my cornell team recruited 2 ineligibles last season and both actually showed up on campus. never saw that happen before, used to be you'd have a pretty good shot at getting 1 but never more.
1/12/2017 12:31 PM
Great. Thanks for the advice guys!
1/14/2017 2:56 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.