Would anyone be able to give me some advice/feedback on how to improve my offense? I currently use Pro-Set and Trips, but have struggled with offense in the past and had a rough game against a Sim.

https://www.wisjournal.com/gd/GameResults/PlayByPlay.aspx?gid=6155353&quarter=1

Any tips or thoughts appreciated. Here or sitemail works!
1/12/2017 2:38 PM
Your offense will improve when you have better players. SIMs won't cut it.
1/12/2017 3:04 PM
My comments: Pro-Set and Trips (to me) means you want to throw the ball more than not.

Set-Up:
Your playmakers are Avery (WR) and Wyatt (RB) and Wood (RB). Everyone else (offensively) is average or below average.
Your QB is decent (55 STR, 64 GI and 68 Tech).
Avery was targeted 12 times.
Wyatt ran the ball 1 time.
Wood ran the ball 19 times.
Jackson's completion % = 56.4

Conclusions:

1. Every pass you attempt should go to Avery or Wood.
2. Every run should go to Wyatt.
3. Your QB's STR is too low to throw anything beyond Medium with any accuracy.

General Advice:

1. You should be able to set up your formations such that Avery is in the lineup for every pass play and be one of two options with Wood on EVERY pass.
2. No one should run the ball except Wyatt.

Advice vs. Dartmoth:

1. Weak and young DB.
2. VERY slow LB's.
3. My gameplan would have been to throw as much as possible to Wood (90 SPD, 90 ELU) in matchups against the slow LB's. In fact, I would have targetted him 20 times in this game (assuming his STA allowed it).

There you go. Take it or leave it, but that is the way I would have played that game.

nitros

1/12/2017 7:05 PM
Posted by nitros on 1/12/2017 7:06:00 PM (view original):
My comments: Pro-Set and Trips (to me) means you want to throw the ball more than not.

Set-Up:
Your playmakers are Avery (WR) and Wyatt (RB) and Wood (RB). Everyone else (offensively) is average or below average.
Your QB is decent (55 STR, 64 GI and 68 Tech).
Avery was targeted 12 times.
Wyatt ran the ball 1 time.
Wood ran the ball 19 times.
Jackson's completion % = 56.4

Conclusions:

1. Every pass you attempt should go to Avery or Wood.
2. Every run should go to Wyatt.
3. Your QB's STR is too low to throw anything beyond Medium with any accuracy.

General Advice:

1. You should be able to set up your formations such that Avery is in the lineup for every pass play and be one of two options with Wood on EVERY pass.
2. No one should run the ball except Wyatt.

Advice vs. Dartmoth:

1. Weak and young DB.
2. VERY slow LB's.
3. My gameplan would have been to throw as much as possible to Wood (90 SPD, 90 ELU) in matchups against the slow LB's. In fact, I would have targetted him 20 times in this game (assuming his STA allowed it).

There you go. Take it or leave it, but that is the way I would have played that game.

nitros

How do you target a specific WR or TE? Is it the same as a RB, putting them in the number 1 slot?
1/12/2017 7:32 PM
You can't do it in D3, but in D2 or above you do it with formations and playbooks. First, let's say you want to run the pro-set. You go to formations, then you can create a custom pro-set formation that only throws to TE and WR1. Then you go to playbooks and create a new playbook using the formation you just created.
1/12/2017 9:15 PM
Consider how the zone allocations on a formation relate to the playbook zone allocations. Site mail me if you get stuck.
1/12/2017 9:20 PM
Mitt is in 1AA for gods sakes.
If he's gotten that far then I don't understand how he's struggling ?
1/13/2017 3:20 AM
I've played GD off on on before. I've never really understood what I'm doing in terms of game-plan or setting up the right playbooks. I understand recruiting...that's about it.

I didn't realize you could target specific players...I'll try to figure out how to do that.
1/13/2017 8:57 AM
Thanks for the thoughts, nitros!
1/13/2017 8:58 AM

Gameplanning skill comes last IMO. You do not start to realize the importance of gameplanning until you are at a level of competition that makes it apparent, or at least that was my personal experience. I am just now starting to understand good game planning, which is probably why I respond to questions like this one.

Also...there is no real documentation out there talking about how to gameplan. You usually find the information by trial and experience or find a coach willing to teach you. lyonz taught me a bit and pete. They didn't hand it to me, but put me on a path to understanding. I simply cannot thank them enough for taking this game to a higher level of enjoyment.

By the way, I am not talking about basic gameplanning (set your lineup, depth charts and a basic gameplan). Gameplanning is detailed plans to use your strengths against an opponents weakness. I am still a novice in this area in all honesty.

1/13/2017 11:44 AM
I get ya Nitros. I'm sorry. I have been doing this so long I pretty much take it all for granted.
Lyonzfan and Pete, 2 Excellent Coaches to learn from !
1/13/2017 3:04 PM (edited)
Posted by mojolad on 1/13/2017 3:20:00 AM (view original):
It's easily possible to get to D1AA without veteran knowledge. I did it. In fact got to D1A for three seasons. This game is a slow roaster. Takes time to learn/master every aspect of the game. I really just got a grasp for position roles last season.
1/13/2017 5:32 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.