Practice Time Allocation for New Offense. Topic

Hi all,

I'd like to switch from fast break to motion offense. I have 6 seniors and 5 juniors so no matter what I'll run fast break this entire year while I spend time learning motion. However I'm wondering how many minutes I would need to spend in practice in order to get my juniors ready to run motion by their senior year.

Right now I have 50 mins dedicated to motion.

Also how often does practice happen? Are there daily results for the team and individuals?

Thanks for your time :)
1/14/2017 11:36 PM
Can't worry about your junior class.

I normally do 20. If it's a brand new offense I could see 25 making sense. 50 is insane. Just recruit your *** off and have somewhat normal allocations.

You'll see ratings increase after each game.

Good luck with your season, it's a fun game.
1/14/2017 11:39 PM
Great :)

I'll bump it down to 25 then, exactly why I was asking, I had no idea if 50 was a lot or a little.

Thanks for the help :)
1/14/2017 11:46 PM
No problem, the boards can be useful.
1/15/2017 12:33 AM
Why would you care if your seniors and juniors learn a new set? They aren't going to learn it in one season anyway. Why not wait to practice the new set when you have the guys that are actually going to run it.
1/15/2017 1:07 AM
Might as well save the transition until the end of the season since your juniors and seniors won't really benefit from a change and you don't really have any underclassmen. Once you bring in a new group of Freshman is when you'll want to start.
1/15/2017 3:56 AM
agree 50 is too much

20 is a common level

I often do 25 if potentials for skill improvement are low or for other reasons

sometimes 30 but rare rare rare

Also, consider sticking with fastbreak for now if that is your best shot to win this season. Maybe spend 10 on motion so your juniors have a headstart for next season
1/15/2017 6:48 AM
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/15/2017 1:08:00 AM (view original):
Why would you care if your seniors and juniors learn a new set? They aren't going to learn it in one season anyway. Why not wait to practice the new set when you have the guys that are actually going to run it.
As of right now, he's running a FB and zone/press combo. Look at the staminas of his players. He can't sustain that O/D combination with those staminas. I'm guessing he wants to get out of FB as soon as possible.
1/15/2017 10:06 AM
IF you conclude that FB is NOT the best hope for current season, as darnoc notes, then change right away and go to say 20 or 25
1/15/2017 10:08 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 1/15/2017 10:06:00 AM (view original):
As of right now, he's running a FB and zone/press combo. Look at the staminas of his players. He can't sustain that O/D combination with those staminas. I'm guessing he wants to get out of FB as soon as possible.
Okay. Whole different matter. Totally different matter than the question he posed in the OP.
1/15/2017 5:10 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/15/2017 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 1/15/2017 10:06:00 AM (view original):
Okay. Whole different matter. Totally different matter than the question he posed in the OP.
No it's not... He is responding in to you, so unless you consider what you did a different matter than his answer is not a different matter. He is just giving him another opinion on what you said.
1/15/2017 8:18 PM
Okay, not a different matter, a different opinion. I think the earth will spin in the same direction either way.
1/16/2017 1:27 AM
Ok thanks for the input guys. Its my first season so that is why I was asking how long it takes to switch. I wasn't sure if my juniors would have time or not, now I know. Yes, ideally I would like to not have to worry about stamina as much which is why I would like to get out of the fast break.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it was all relevant! :)
1/18/2017 12:18 PM (edited)
A while ago when switching both O/D I experimented with running 65/65 for the exhibition and first 6-7 games of the season. Only saw a couple points drop from the skills (most players didn't change) and saw very fast improvement in the O/D. I think everyone was up to at least C-/C after that. Went back to 20/20 with normal skills practice afterwards.
1/18/2017 12:57 PM
Thanks snafu4u!

Good to know
1/18/2017 1:20 PM
12 Next ▸
Practice Time Allocation for New Offense. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.