Ben and Jerry league - full. completed Topic

Posted by ejstockman on 1/24/2017 2:34:00 PM (view original):
I am going to go in a different direction. Joe Torre.
Gave him, and another person that can catch, very serious thought.
1/24/2017 6:01 PM
Carl Hubbell
1/24/2017 6:44 PM
Torre was on my short list (as was Chipper). There are still two guys out there that I'm amazed haven't been picked.
1/24/2017 6:45 PM
Oof, Hubbell was on my shortlist. I'll go with Kid Nichols.
1/24/2017 6:49 PM
Bob Gibson please.
1/24/2017 7:22 PM
Eddie Cicotte
1/24/2017 7:55 PM
Posted by hacker7 on 1/24/2017 7:55:00 PM (view original):
Eddie Cicotte
It was really hard to decide between Cicotte and Nichols. Almost picked Eddie. I'll be interested to see how he performs.
1/24/2017 8:27 PM
So it's back to me?

I have been struggling since yesterday with a slew of candidates, and trying to remember who has been used before in this league, with any success. My final five:

Lou Boudreau, who can catch, and put the ball in play ... but he didn't have that many big offensive years, and lacks speed.
Joe DiMaggio, who has CF range, and is by far the best offensive player left who has a chance on defense ... but he didn't get on base as much as I'd like, and he also lacks speed.
Charlie Gehringer, who never really played anywhere but 2B, but played it very well ... also has the platoon advantage against 20 out of 23 opponents, and a bit more prowess on the bases than I realized.
Joe Morgan, who has way more speed than Gehringer, but relied a bit too much on walks instead of his bat, and struck out the most of these five; and
Jackie Robinson, who played the most positions, and had way more disruptive presence on the bases than WIS gives him credit for, but barely has enough PA's to compete.

I'm going to go with Jackie! Hopefully I can figure out a way to get the Big Train a few at-bats to spell him. And I'll need a couple of bench players, because I can only use $164 million of Walter Johnson's pitching.

1/24/2017 9:11 PM
If anyone needs some players clowns, you can pick from this bunch.....

They should be set to rest. Lets not pick them to lower our salary for TOC purposes. The idea is only to use the two clones we draft.

3b 1895 frank bonner
3b 1981 dave edler
of 1901 ed bruyette
3b 1980 paul dade
of 1885 gurdon whiteley

p 1999 paul assenmacker
p 1986 juan agosto
p 1998 rick krivda
p 1977 frank lacorte
1/24/2017 9:22 PM
A player that everyone forgot about that can actually kick *** in this league is Brett Butler. You might not believe it, but the guy does really well. Last time someone used him, they made the playoffs.
1/24/2017 9:27 PM
Posted by flakfizer on 1/24/2017 6:45:00 PM (view original):
Torre was on my short list (as was Chipper). There are still two guys out there that I'm amazed haven't been picked.
Normally i go with speed and offense. Ty Cobb was a blast last time i had him. But i thought maybe the defense from Torre at catcher, third and first would help curb the bully hamiltons of hte league from running wild, and Matty could pitch me to the title. We will see.
1/24/2017 10:03 PM
Posted by tdoak on 1/24/2017 9:11:00 PM (view original):
So it's back to me?

I have been struggling since yesterday with a slew of candidates, and trying to remember who has been used before in this league, with any success. My final five:

Lou Boudreau, who can catch, and put the ball in play ... but he didn't have that many big offensive years, and lacks speed.
Joe DiMaggio, who has CF range, and is by far the best offensive player left who has a chance on defense ... but he didn't get on base as much as I'd like, and he also lacks speed.
Charlie Gehringer, who never really played anywhere but 2B, but played it very well ... also has the platoon advantage against 20 out of 23 opponents, and a bit more prowess on the bases than I realized.
Joe Morgan, who has way more speed than Gehringer, but relied a bit too much on walks instead of his bat, and struck out the most of these five; and
Jackie Robinson, who played the most positions, and had way more disruptive presence on the bases than WIS gives him credit for, but barely has enough PA's to compete.

I'm going to go with Jackie! Hopefully I can figure out a way to get the Big Train a few at-bats to spell him. And I'll need a couple of bench players, because I can only use $164 million of Walter Johnson's pitching.

For me, it came dow to Pujols or Boudreau. I just thought as great as it would be to have Boudreau's defense, his offense was just too weak. Another guy on my final list, aside from them and Gehringer, was Frisch.
1/24/2017 10:08 PM
Posted by ejstockman on 1/24/2017 10:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by flakfizer on 1/24/2017 6:45:00 PM (view original):
Normally i go with speed and offense. Ty Cobb was a blast last time i had him. But i thought maybe the defense from Torre at catcher, third and first would help curb the bully hamiltons of hte league from running wild, and Matty could pitch me to the title. We will see.
You monster. I hope Slidin' Billy steals 100 bases in a game against you (this is a thing that happened once, and it was the best box score I ever read)
1/24/2017 10:14 PM
I've done well in this league (or similar) with Boudreau. The ability to play defense at C and SS is huge. I also remember using George Davis once and he did pretty well.
1/24/2017 10:51 PM
The ole' George Davis ketchup socks.....That team frustrated the f outta mine
1/24/2017 11:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Ben and Jerry league - full. completed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.