Ben and Jerry league - full. completed Topic

I gave Craig Biggio a little thought. C-2B-OF defense combo and the ability to get on base with speed ... I might end up wishing I chose differently, but it will hopefully be lots of fun no matter what.
1/24/2017 11:17 PM
I'm amazed Boudreau didn't get taken. My short list was Torre, Chipper, Boudreau, and Biggio (and Rickey, obv.).
1/25/2017 7:59 AM
Which players can play the most positions without having to play "out of position"? Honus Wagner has enough seasons to play 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and 3x OF. I don't think anybody has enough to play all 8. Can any others play 7?
1/25/2017 9:26 AM
Great discussion. Another guy I thought might be selected was Robin Yount, excellent defense at SS and all three OF positions, not to mention solid bat and several seasons of 80+ speed.

I'd be interested to see who everyone selected if we played a Season Two with all of Season One's players blacklisted.
1/25/2017 9:39 AM
duffy has D/D- (except 3b where he is C/C) in all positions, but the one where he has that rating at C is also the only one with 1b, so i have no 1b without penalty.

I did have hard time between duffy, biggio and boudreau, but thought it would be more fun with the best hitter and worst fielder of them all
1/25/2017 10:02 AM
I chose Aaron because he at least had seasons at 2b and 3b in addition to 1b and OF. Figured I wouldn't be totally screwed on defense. But C and SS are kinda important lol
1/25/2017 10:10 AM
I don't use guys out of position frequently. But sometimes I wonder is it better to use a first baseman out of position (at 2B or SS) who might be a A+/B defensively (at 1B), but has no other positions listed or is it better to play a guy who has D-/D- eligibility at that secondary position (2B or SS)? It feels that I would almost rather take a chance that the "unknown" out-of-position penalty might be better than the known D-/D-.
1/25/2017 10:14 AM
Lajoie plays 7 position and half them with A++ range. Best infield in town.
1/25/2017 10:30 AM (edited)
Posted by schwarze on 1/25/2017 10:15:00 AM (view original):
I don't use guys out of position frequently. But sometimes I wonder is it better to use a first baseman out of position (at 2B or SS) who might be a A+/B defensively (at 1B), but has no other positions listed or is it better to play a guy who has D-/D- eligibility at that secondary position (2B or SS)? It feels that I would almost rather take a chance that the "unknown" out-of-position penalty might be better than the known D-/D-.
Depends on how bad the d-/d- is....if its anywhere near .800 or lower, then go with the outta position guy. They'll still be awful, but not that bad.

1/25/2017 10:35 AM
Posted by mars2010 on 1/25/2017 9:39:00 AM (view original):
Great discussion. Another guy I thought might be selected was Robin Yount, excellent defense at SS and all three OF positions, not to mention solid bat and several seasons of 80+ speed.

I'd be interested to see who everyone selected if we played a Season Two with all of Season One's players blacklisted.
I was thinking the same thing.
1/25/2017 11:35 AM
I just worry that Torre doesn't bring the offense i need. We will see...
1/25/2017 12:06 PM
I did set the league as a progressive, so the stats can be linked if we keep this going.

Last time this was run, the players chosen in year one were blacklisted the next season, and reinstated for year 3, with year two players sitting out, and so on.

Probably also make some rule that the combination that wins cannot be paired together again
1/25/2017 12:46 PM
Maybe blacklist combinations that make the playoffs.
1/25/2017 12:51 PM
Posted by schwarze on 1/25/2017 10:15:00 AM (view original):
In cstrohmeir's Rockies Twist league, Todd Helton turned into a pretty competent 2B
1/25/2017 1:22 PM
Posted by schwarze on 1/25/2017 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Which players can play the most positions without having to play "out of position"? Honus Wagner has enough seasons to play 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and 3x OF. I don't think anybody has enough to play all 8. Can any others play 7?
Jackie Robinson has everything but catcher covered, though he only has one D-/D- season at SS. [Damn it, Pee Wee!]

I've used 2B with good range at SS in other leagues, with more success than I expected ... I'm guessing I'd be better off with one of Robinson's best fielding 2B seasons at SS instead of going with the ratings from the two games he filled in there.
1/25/2017 1:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Ben and Jerry league - full. completed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.