Attention / Recruiting Battles Basic question Topic

Jumping into my first recruiting period in the new 3.0, can you not bully people out anymore? I was Very high on a recruit and everyone was very low. Then in 2-3 cycles a new school went from non-existent to High and the recruit is considering both schools. I even raised attention points and threw a few more Home visits in. However I cant keep him out of the race. Is this the account of having good resources while battling me or just the way 3.0 works now?
1/16/2017 11:48 AM
just the way it works now...you can no longer bully....
1/16/2017 12:06 PM
It could be a combination of a lot of different things.
  • Preferences
  • AP Spent
  • HV's
  • Prestige
  • Promises
Also - non-existent isn't really that sometimes. The considering page only shows 10 schools. If there are more he could have been VL just like the rest and have been slowly unlocking actions while staying "hidden".

Based on what you're saying I will also guess that said recruit is a Late signee, which makes this strategy more likely. If they are an Early signee than this likely wouldn't work.

Bullying is somewhat possible but more difficult. You can still drop 20 HV in the same cycle and change the picture but the other school can come back with the same if the guy doesn't sign. 3.0 is a different game with new strategies which tend to be more about when a recurit will sign and how to maximize your AP than being a bully. I'm fine with that.
1/16/2017 12:07 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 12:07:00 PM (view original):
  • Preferences
  • AP Spent
  • HV's
  • Prestige
  • Promises
Also - non-existent isn't really that sometimes. The considering page only shows 10 schools. If there are more he could have been VL just like the rest and have been slowly unlocking actions while staying "hidden".

Based on what you're saying I will also guess that said recruit is a Late signee, which makes this strategy more likely. If they are an Early signee than this likely wouldn't work.

Bullying is somewhat possible but more difficult. You can still drop 20 HV in the same cycle and change the picture but the other school can come back with the same if the guy doesn't sign. 3.0 is a different game with new strategies which tend to be more about when a recurit will sign and how to maximize your AP than being a bully. I'm fine with that.
Essentially the way I've read I should have a good shot since I've been on the guy since cycle 1, he is a top priority for me. The other school jumped in a full day after the first cycle so he missed 3-4 at least cycles.

His signing preference is Early. I have a higher prestige 3 openings and the other school has 5 so he may be over powering me on AP however I have pushed a majority of mine into the battle now as I am clear winning on my other 2 options.
1/16/2017 12:14 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 1/16/2017 12:14:00 PM (view original):
  • Preferences
  • AP Spent
  • HV's
  • Prestige
  • Promises

Essentially the way I've read I should have a good shot since I've been on the guy since cycle 1, he is a top priority for me. The other school jumped in a full day after the first cycle so he missed 3-4 at least cycles.

His signing preference is Early. I have a higher prestige 3 openings and the other school has 5 so he may be over powering me on AP however I have pushed a majority of mine into the battle now as I am clear winning on my other 2 options.
What about the preferences though? Does he want to play? Does he want a longtime coach? what about playing style? etc. Those things can't just be overlooked due to prestige.

Also - if the recruit is an early signee one thing I have learned is you'd better make sure nobody else does get on (i.e. use your CV and HV's early enough to get him to sign). Since the guy could sign at any time all it would take is him to drop all the visits and potentially nab him away from you without you ever knowing what hit you. Especially, considering this guy is your #1 priority and with 3 'ships you really only need to fill one.
1/16/2017 12:20 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagger288 on 1/16/2017 12:14:00 PM (view original):
  • Preferences
  • AP Spent
  • HV's
  • Prestige
  • Promises

What about the preferences though? Does he want to play? Does he want a longtime coach? what about playing style? etc. Those things can't just be overlooked due to prestige.

Also - if the recruit is an early signee one thing I have learned is you'd better make sure nobody else does get on (i.e. use your CV and HV's early enough to get him to sign). Since the guy could sign at any time all it would take is him to drop all the visits and potentially nab him away from you without you ever knowing what hit you. Especially, considering this guy is your #1 priority and with 3 'ships you really only need to fill one.
Signing periods haven't hit yet so I jumped right away to make sure that I get a good lead out. I will also as of the cycle an hour an a half ago, I am "very high" he is "high." so I am still ahead as of now. He has no preference to play, however I promised minutes, no distance preference. He wants success I am "good" I believe my competition should be about the same judging his resume. He has a triangle offense preference which neither of us have. The only benefactor is perimeter offense preference which I could see him have good or very good. No longtime coach preference.

My only last idea is he is HV dumping, in the 3rd cycle before he existed I was CV and HV dumping to get ahead. I have some spare coin but I'm looking at backup options in case.
1/16/2017 12:34 PM
Are you sure signing periods haven't started yet? I just checked and it appears that they start with 4 or 5 games left in the conf season and you're past that point.
1/16/2017 12:40 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Are you sure signing periods haven't started yet? I just checked and it appears that they start with 4 or 5 games left in the conf season and you're past that point.
They start tomorrow at 5pm. Recruiting started on Saturday, so we are nearly a day away.
1/16/2017 12:47 PM
Prestige doesn't mean **** anymore...example to follow in separate thread
1/16/2017 12:51 PM
Drive your opponent down to Moderate if this recruit is important to you. Don't let that other school hang around.
1/16/2017 12:53 PM
Posted by mullycj on 1/16/2017 12:51:00 PM (view original):
I am almost feeling that the idea of D1-D2-D3 recruits doesn't mean **** anymore either. I'm watching D3 recruits pursue D1 guys that I would take on low end D1 squads. Idk if these guys just are so overlooked but then I realize that not everyone is shown to everyone anymore. This 3.0 recruiting I wouldn't call it a step backwards but I would say maybe a side step. It has its advantages but definitely has disadvantages and I think it could be all solved by a simple word.

Clarity

the old recruiting was real easy to see if you would win or not, if you had a chance. I just seems like there is a lot of "maybes" floating around. In real life recruiting, generally a recruit may have 5-10 offers but he is only for sure on 2 maybe 3 schools. It has more clarity where he might be going. I don't even get feedback anymore on where I stand and if I really am losing ground.
1/16/2017 1:01 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/16/2017 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Drive your opponent down to Moderate if this recruit is important to you. Don't let that other school hang around.
This is absolutely correct and even more-so with early recruits imo.
1/16/2017 1:26 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 1/16/2017 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 1/16/2017 12:51:00 PM (view original):
I am almost feeling that the idea of D1-D2-D3 recruits doesn't mean **** anymore either. I'm watching D3 recruits pursue D1 guys that I would take on low end D1 squads. Idk if these guys just are so overlooked but then I realize that not everyone is shown to everyone anymore. This 3.0 recruiting I wouldn't call it a step backwards but I would say maybe a side step. It has its advantages but definitely has disadvantages and I think it could be all solved by a simple word.

Clarity

the old recruiting was real easy to see if you would win or not, if you had a chance. I just seems like there is a lot of "maybes" floating around. In real life recruiting, generally a recruit may have 5-10 offers but he is only for sure on 2 maybe 3 schools. It has more clarity where he might be going. I don't even get feedback anymore on where I stand and if I really am losing ground.
Those guys are just hoping to hang around until period 2 and still have the guy unsigned. They aren't overreaching because they actually have a legit shot at the guy. I think this is all the more reason why we need at least a cycle if not a day in period 2 where guys don't sign.
1/16/2017 1:28 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Most of my budget went to this recruit but 5 openings may have me hurting... :(
1/16/2017 1:41 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 1/16/2017 1:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zhawks on 1/16/2017 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Most of my budget went to this recruit but 5 openings may have me hurting... :(
The new game is more difficult and harder to judge. I still do enjoy it though it's a new challenge.
1/16/2017 1:48 PM
12 Next ▸
Attention / Recruiting Battles Basic question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.