Noob Guide to HD - Practice Planning Topic

Posted by CoachWard95 on 3/27/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/16/2017 4:25:00 PM (view original):
This is the first part of a Noob guide that I'm going to put together. This is the Practice Planning Guide. It's not meant to be exhaustive but I tried to add in a couple 'advanced' tactics that I use. I am trying to keep these guides relatively simple and concise - if possible.

I'm sure there are other methods and tactics people use so if you have any thoughts, please include them in this thread. Try to keep it to Practice discussions.

Noobs- post if you have any questions or if something isn't clear. I'll update as needed.

Basics
  • Use 20-25 minutes for offense and defense each. Focus initially on one O/D
  • Prioritize Greens and Blue ratings. Blues and Greens will increase or decrease quickly while the opposite is true for Orange and Red.
  • Keep 7 points in a rating to keep it from going down - the exception is LP and PER which only requires 3
  • Prioritize "Core" ratings. These include Conditioning and Def for all players. Reb, Blk, LP for bigs. Pass, BH, PER and sometimes LP for guards. Usually in that order but depends on how you plan to use the player (passing PG vs scoring SG for example).
  • Study Hall - at least 5-8 minutes for freshmen. 5 if 3.0 HS GPA, 8 if 2.0 GPA. Remove 1 point as he moves up seniority. Seniors usually only need 1 or 0.
  • After the 2nd Final Grades email that occurs a few games before the CT, you can remove all points from SH.
  • Rule of thumb is that beyond 20 minutes, there is a diminishing returns effect. 25 will increase more than 20 but every point you put in will start counting less and less.

Advanced and other ideas open to discussion
  • Zero out categories that are red or not important. i.e. if a guard's REB is Red, don't put any points here. Even if it's decent like mid 20s. It will likely only decrease by 1-2 points during the season or sometimes not at all.For bigs this could be something like BH. LP/PER are other categories that can be ignored if it is Red and relatively low already. This is one of the best ways to get a player to max out faster IMO.
  • For Low WE (<30) players- prioritize 'Hard Skills' vs 'Soft Skills' (not sure if that's what others call it). Meaning - you want to put minutes into the attributes that will be used early and often. For a Big Man this typically means Reb and defense. If you have established a good team setup, it is unlikely he'll be asked to score as a FR or SO so even if he is Green/Blue in both LP and FT, you might not want to try to max this out first. He will be more useful as an underclassmen with high ATH/REB/DEF than high LP/FT. Note- don't remove all points in these categories that you're saving for later; keep 10ish points in it. It's not meant to neglect completely - just prioritize.
  • A couple exceptions to Hard skills vs Soft skills include -
    • If the player-
      • 1) need to score early - weak upperclassmen
      • 2) is the only option. i.e. a guard with Per of 50 but is Green may be prioritized if no other viable shooters are on team and is a big need.
      • 3) Has very high potential for growth - it is not uncommon for LP and PER to grow 50+ points which can turn a mediocre scorer into a great one.
    • If WE is relatively high, he should max out so spread points more evenly in an attempt to max out at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSupxObVlHM&index=10&t=21s&list=PLR8FuU4la9Gx7Z94DsAeuwhL3HwxRXBzs
Any word on the referenced video ? It was taken down from YouTube :/
9/27/2017 8:48 PM
I mean... it was from coachward. I'm sure it was taken down for good reason.
9/27/2017 8:55 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 9/27/2017 8:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 3/27/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/16/2017 4:25:00 PM (view original):
This is the first part of a Noob guide that I'm going to put together. This is the Practice Planning Guide. It's not meant to be exhaustive but I tried to add in a couple 'advanced' tactics that I use. I am trying to keep these guides relatively simple and concise - if possible.

I'm sure there are other methods and tactics people use so if you have any thoughts, please include them in this thread. Try to keep it to Practice discussions.

Noobs- post if you have any questions or if something isn't clear. I'll update as needed.

Basics
  • Use 20-25 minutes for offense and defense each. Focus initially on one O/D
  • Prioritize Greens and Blue ratings. Blues and Greens will increase or decrease quickly while the opposite is true for Orange and Red.
  • Keep 7 points in a rating to keep it from going down - the exception is LP and PER which only requires 3
  • Prioritize "Core" ratings. These include Conditioning and Def for all players. Reb, Blk, LP for bigs. Pass, BH, PER and sometimes LP for guards. Usually in that order but depends on how you plan to use the player (passing PG vs scoring SG for example).
  • Study Hall - at least 5-8 minutes for freshmen. 5 if 3.0 HS GPA, 8 if 2.0 GPA. Remove 1 point as he moves up seniority. Seniors usually only need 1 or 0.
  • After the 2nd Final Grades email that occurs a few games before the CT, you can remove all points from SH.
  • Rule of thumb is that beyond 20 minutes, there is a diminishing returns effect. 25 will increase more than 20 but every point you put in will start counting less and less.

Advanced and other ideas open to discussion
  • Zero out categories that are red or not important. i.e. if a guard's REB is Red, don't put any points here. Even if it's decent like mid 20s. It will likely only decrease by 1-2 points during the season or sometimes not at all.For bigs this could be something like BH. LP/PER are other categories that can be ignored if it is Red and relatively low already. This is one of the best ways to get a player to max out faster IMO.
  • For Low WE (<30) players- prioritize 'Hard Skills' vs 'Soft Skills' (not sure if that's what others call it). Meaning - you want to put minutes into the attributes that will be used early and often. For a Big Man this typically means Reb and defense. If you have established a good team setup, it is unlikely he'll be asked to score as a FR or SO so even if he is Green/Blue in both LP and FT, you might not want to try to max this out first. He will be more useful as an underclassmen with high ATH/REB/DEF than high LP/FT. Note- don't remove all points in these categories that you're saving for later; keep 10ish points in it. It's not meant to neglect completely - just prioritize.
  • A couple exceptions to Hard skills vs Soft skills include -
    • If the player-
      • 1) need to score early - weak upperclassmen
      • 2) is the only option. i.e. a guard with Per of 50 but is Green may be prioritized if no other viable shooters are on team and is a big need.
      • 3) Has very high potential for growth - it is not uncommon for LP and PER to grow 50+ points which can turn a mediocre scorer into a great one.
    • If WE is relatively high, he should max out so spread points more evenly in an attempt to max out at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSupxObVlHM&index=10&t=21s&list=PLR8FuU4la9Gx7Z94DsAeuwhL3HwxRXBzs
Any word on the referenced video ? It was taken down from YouTube :/
I wondered about that, too.
9/27/2017 8:57 PM
◂ Prev 123
Noob Guide to HD - Practice Planning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.