HD Scroll Ads Ran All MLK Day On FS1... Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2017 9:47:00 AM (view original):
You forgot to tell us you've ran and planned several social media campaigns before yammering on about advertising.

My point was simple. WifS advertised. I think in a pretty significant manner. And it went unnoticed by the people who scream "THEY HAVE TO ADVERTISE!!!!" Maybe they don't watch basketball. Maybe they didn't watch that day. But I bet some did. If they're aren't a few users who say "I found this site watching a FS1 scroll", I'm not sure that the advertising was effective. I guess we could believe that dozens, or hundreds, signed up because of that ad but, like bigfoot, I need to see one to believe it.
And how did it go unnoticed? This is a thread created by someone who saw it.... Um? What's your point again?
1/18/2017 10:02 AM
Wow. I'm not going to bother. Stop reading my posts like you claim and have a nice day.
1/18/2017 10:33 AM
I swore I'd never get entangled in one of these clusters but since I retired in September after 41 years in advertising, concentrating on direct response in the last 22, I have too much time on my hands and a little knowledge, a dangerous combination.
#1. Scroll advertising has about the lowest notice rate in the industry. Viewers can't watch the program content and read the scroll simultaneously.
Therefore, scroll message volume has to be sizable and frequent. My guess is Fox will do more of these. Otherwise, they just pi**ed in the wind.
#2. The notice rate will only go up with volume, as will the activation rate. It takes multiple impressions to activate response. And consumer testimonial to response sources is utterly unreliable. If you wait for a volume of people to tell you they saw the ad, don't hold your breath. 40% of direct response impressions look for the business via search engine (higher for web based companies versus brick & mortar) so they can see testimonials and other pertinent info. Many of those consumers will credit the search engine and not the ad impact as the source of their "discovery" of you
#3. A point made in other posts, the target market size is going to be quite finite. It would behoove WIS to focus group HD and identify the richest subsets: maybe it's heavy weeknight college basketball viewers, ages 16-35, heavy web/device usage, drive American made cars, prefer steakhouses, shop on line, belong to a gym, make or are in a household that earns 40-80,000/year, have 2 children or less, belong to shopping clubs, (just hypotheticals)
#4. Seek out any low hanging fruit. The referral program and former user incentives are prime examples. So would incentives for multiple team ownership or extended multi season trial offers. Next might be supertargets. External advertising examples might be banner ads on rivals.com basketball recruiting pages or Joe Lunardi's Bracketology on ESPN.com.

There will be no marketing success without a marketing plan: Strategy-tactics-measurability-retention. The batting average of businesses who feel the consumer will find them is tiny. But you can waste a lot of noise if you don't define your targets and confirm the target has a population sufficient to make you profitable.

Sorry but I haven't had the chance to wave my big ad guy d**k around in a while.
1/18/2017 11:14 AM (edited)
I'm the guy that saw the HD add on FS1. If it becomes a regular scrolling ad after every Top-25 score loop cycle during FS1 games, then college hoops fans might notice it and check it out at some point. I mean, this wasn't like a Super Bowl ad with 200 million eyeballs watching it for 30 seconds, so i wasn't expecting any movement. The relevance of the ad was that it was the first I've noticed on TV ever for HD, and I'd expect these very low level ads to continue.

just to add on... the first time i noticed it was during the #7 Creighton vs #22 Xavier game... so two ranked teams... with under 4 minutes or so, game was tied at 58 or 66 or something... one of the teams called timeout... FS1 didn't go to a commercial but instead showed the teams huddling, showed the fans, the cheerleaders, the band, etc... my eyes wandered and i noticed the HD scroll... anyway, that was the general layout of what happened... then later on i had a chance to flip on the Georgetown vs Providence late game on FS1, and i noticed the scroll again.
1/18/2017 11:40 AM (edited)
Agreed.
1/18/2017 11:36 AM
You forgot to tell us you've ran and planned several social media campaigns before yammering on about advertising.

My point was simple. WifS advertised. I think in a pretty significant manner. And it went unnoticed by the people who scream "THEY HAVE TO ADVERTISE!!!!" Maybe they don't watch basketball. Maybe they didn't watch that day. But I bet some did. If they're aren't a few users who say "I found this site watching a FS1 scroll", I'm not sure that the advertising was effective. I guess we could believe that dozens, or hundreds, signed up because of that ad but, like bigfoot, I need to see one to believe it.
Does this thread show that it went un-noticed by existing customers?

What percentage of customers often post on the forums?

What percentage of customers who often post on the forums noticed?

What percentage of customers who often post on the forums and noticed decided to post about noticing?

And what does the above calculation tell us about the extent to which someone who was not a customer might notice after seeing the crawl multiple times during well targeted broadcasts?

1/18/2017 12:13 PM
YES!!!

1/18/2017 12:16 PM

I assumed you would have remembered! Not that it matters to you, as you prefer to talk out of your *** about advertising while trying to belittle people that actually do it for a living, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess.

There are a lot of common success metrics when it comes to advertising campaigns. "Amount of people that posted on specific forum posts proclaiming about how an advertisement worked because it got them to the site to sate the curiosity of some nerd with no other hobbies" isn't one of them, probably because APTPSFPPAHAWBGTSSCSNWNOH isn't a catchy acronym (and other reasons, probably). The only people with access to the ad results as they pertain to those success metrics that would tell whether or not the juice was worth the squeeze work for WIS, and I have a hunch they won't be sharing those.
1/18/2017 3:04 PM
Did you see me belittle or dispute a single word rsvphr said? Does that make you go "hmmmmmm"? It should.
1/18/2017 3:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2017 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Did you see me belittle or dispute a single word rsvphr said? Does that make you go "hmmmmmm"? It should.
Nope. He didn't get argumentative with you. I took the bait. I don't know why I thought this was a conversation about advertising WIS - it's just another thread for you to pick fights with people; the topic is irrelevant. The topic could have been "anyone ever wonder why basketballs are orange? isn't that weird?" and you would have gone off on some inane tangent about color blindness or something.

I brought up what I do to give some context around what I thought would be a good idea for specific advertising methods. When you **** on those with no context or experience, I thought maybe you had missed it the first time, and now it's your only schtick. I don't know how you manage to make conversations with you to be boring and exhausting at the same time, Mike - kudos.
1/18/2017 6:35 PM
Meh. You might have bored me quickly and I may not have gotten past "I've ran and managed several social media advertising campaigns..." He put numbers by his so I knew he had some points to make. You had one longfuckingsentence. You know me well enough that you've got to get my attention early to keep me interested. Bad job on you.

It's the internet. If you ain't interesting, you can't be long-winded. And break up your damn thoughts. That's why, if I go over three lines, I break. You people just run your thoughts together. And most don't even bother with punctuation and capitalizing. I can't take that **** serious.
1/18/2017 6:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2017 6:42:00 PM (view original):
Meh. You might have bored me quickly and I may not have gotten past "I've ran and managed several social media advertising campaigns..." He put numbers by his so I knew he had some points to make. You had one longfuckingsentence. You know me well enough that you've got to get my attention early to keep me interested. Bad job on you.

It's the internet. If you ain't interesting, you can't be long-winded. And break up your damn thoughts. That's why, if I go over three lines, I break. You people just run your thoughts together. And most don't even bother with punctuation and capitalizing. I can't take that **** serious.
Jesus, Mike. You'll disregard what people are saying, regardless of whether or not it's relevant, if you don't feel like reading all of it? Are you a moron, or really just that big of an *******?
1/18/2017 7:13 PM
Posted by mbriese on 1/18/2017 7:13:00 PM (view original):

Jesus, Mike. You'll disregard what people are saying, regardless of whether or not it's relevant, if you don't feel like reading all of it? Are you a moron, or really just that big of an *******?
Mike has worked hard and firmly established his position in the forums.

1/18/2017 7:39 PM
Posted by mbriese on 1/18/2017 7:13:00 PM (view original):

Well, I'm not a moron. You know that.

Seriously, it's the internet. We're on a simsports site. Be funny, interesting or succinct. It should be a rule. You've been to a big city, right? On virtually every corner, there's someone rambling on about Judgement Day, the evils of capitalism or whatever fits their agenda. Do you stop and listen or walk on by? I'm a walk on by kinda guy.

It amuses me, which is VERY important, to disregard long-winded blowhards without reading their soliloquy and watch their panties bunch. Like yours just did. Pull those things out your crack. You're gonna stain them.
1/18/2017 8:19 PM
"Well, I'm not a moron. You know that."

Frankly I think this is where most of us are getting hung up. Could you please cite at least 3 distinct examples supporting this yet unproven and highly debatable theory?
1/18/2017 9:55 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
HD Scroll Ads Ran All MLK Day On FS1... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.