Prestige Question Topic

(Div I) Assuming all things equal (preferences, effort, etc,) in your opinions what % chance should a C+ team have at getting a recruit vs. an A+ team? (ie - impact of 2 full letter grades).

Anyone who has had at least 1 post season win in DI please feel free to discuss.
1/17/2017 11:29 AM
33%
1/17/2017 11:30 AM
0%, should not be able to get past moderate (assuming everything else is equal like you say preferences, effort, all-in on visits), otherwise what the hell is prestige even worth now? The C team shouldn't be that dumb to be going after a guy they know an A+ team will be willing to go all-in on.

That being said with my A+ UCLA squad I have had trouble knocking C prestige teams from High even when I go all-in and have perfect preference match (or at least better than the C team).

I'm not saying guys should just be handed to A+ teams like in the old game but I feel the competition should moreso be coming from B prestige or better squads. I find it crazy how I see some really good players going to SIM schools that these C prestige schools could be cleaning up with but instead they devote all their resources to battling an A+ for a player they have no preference advantage on or anything of that nature. IF they focused on these next tier of guys they could get 1 great class and be on their way to bettering their prestige. It's alot easier for them to get these guys too because most of the A and B schools are focused on battling each other for the very top guys now, instead of in the past where you basically just had to go down the ladder because it was pretty pointless to battle if you were more than a letter grade difference.
1/17/2017 11:41 AM (edited)
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/17/2017 11:30:00 AM (view original):
33%
So your saying 1 out of every 3 recruits out there would choose Towson University over Duke if both schools gave them the same amount of attention.
Really?
1/17/2017 11:45 AM
It's a game Mully. If you stay in the 2.0 mindset that the A+ prestige schools should always win then you will perpetually be disappointed.

Duke shouldn't win every battle, it makes a boring a game. Recruiting in D1 sucked, the only people who liked it were those at the Duke's. You want a reward for being a good program? Take your credits for post season success, you are no longer entitled to monumental recruiting advantages.

When I go to AC, I don't say, "Hey Mr. Pit Boss, I won 3k last time I was here, that entitles me to pocket rockets every hand until next time right?"

Full disclosure, I have never won 3 grand playing cards....

A good coach at Brown should have a chance to sign a top recruit. If it's less than 33% chance then using the current signing decision equation it is virtually zero. There should be some chance (is 20% more palatable to you?) otherwise it makes for a boring game.
1/17/2017 11:58 AM
Posted by mullycj on 1/17/2017 11:29:00 AM (view original):
(Div I) Assuming all things equal (preferences, effort, etc,) in your opinions what % chance should a C+ team have at getting a recruit vs. an A+ team? (ie - impact of 2 full letter grades).

Anyone who has had at least 1 post season win in DI please feel free to discuss.
LOL.

1/17/2017 12:05 PM
I've been saying this for awhile but, as long as users keep thinking this is just an extended version of 2.0 where Duke and UNC got all the 5 stars in the SE, they're going to hate this game. There are plenty of reasons to play but, if your reason is to take LaSalle or Princeton to the Sweet 16, you have to have a chance to sign the guys Duke covets. If you can't accept that it's part of THIS game, you're just gonna be the old man talking about how he was glad to walk 6 miles uphill, in the snow, to get to school.
1/17/2017 12:20 PM
And, yes, I've won D1 tourney games. In 2005-2006 but you didn't specify when.
1/17/2017 12:21 PM
I'm more with the skins opinion that everyone shouldn't get a participation trophy (even in 3.0). You shouldn't be able to win a recruit 2+ letter grades lower then another school.
"A" schools should be battle other "A and B" schools.
"C" schools should be battling "B/C/D" schools.

Otherwise, like skins said, if everyone can get everyone, why the fck do we even have prestige?
With regards to your last comment. That's the participation trophy mentality. Brown (at C) should have 0% at signing a top recruit. What Brown should be doing is working to get to "B" prestige so that they CAN eventually get a top recruit. But Seble and his participation trophy mentality wants everyone to feel like a winner.
1/17/2017 12:23 PM
From my understanding they stated the value of prestige hadn't changed, at least that's what they said in the developer chat.
1/17/2017 12:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
I've been saying this for awhile but, as long as users keep thinking this is just an extended version of 2.0 where Duke and UNC got all the 5 stars in the SE, they're going to hate this game. There are plenty of reasons to play but, if your reason is to take LaSalle or Princeton to the Sweet 16, you have to have a chance to sign the guys Duke covets. If you can't accept that it's part of THIS game, you're just gonna be the old man talking about how he was glad to walk 6 miles uphill, in the snow, to get to school.
Even you can see there is a wide range of schools that could compete with Duke in this game before you go down to C prestige.

In Smith there are currently 53 schools with prestige "B" or higher that I would have no problem being able to compete with A+ Duke. Is that not enough competition for you Mike?? Do you not think teams should, lets say, maybe EARN that right?

You sound like a grizzled hard working dude (that can't get off the message boards), certainly you can appreciate the concept of earning things in this game.
1/17/2017 12:28 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 1/17/2017 12:28:00 PM (view original):
From my understanding they stated the value of prestige hadn't changed, at least that's what they said in the developer chat.
I think they misrepresent that statement.
For example, in the old HD could C programs even recruit 5 STAR players?
1/17/2017 12:29 PM
Mike, there are always to ways to view forum questions:
  1. How does the game work?
  2. If this is how the game works, how do you think it ought to work?
I think you too easily drift into 'spud' territory when you treat a #2 question as a #1. When you do that, then your argument assumes that this is the best of all possible versions of this game. Do you really think that the potential user-base thinks that LaSalle or Princeton should have a significant chance to sign a guys that Duke covets? I agree; that's how the game currently operates, but shouldn't it simulate real life a little in this regard?

If Duke covets someone, then the recruit may go elsewhere IRL, but they are not going to choose LaSalle or Princeton.
1/17/2017 12:32 PM
Uh, I'm sure you saw TJ's "33%" post.

A+ should certainly have an advantage. And their AP, HV, CV, minutes and starts should mean more. But it shouldn't be a guarantee. A+ just can't show up and say "You're mine." It is a game. I don't want a participation trophy. But I wouldn't want to be entitled either. The outside chance of a C battling, and possibly winning, with an A+, with the A+ putting in lots less effort, seems about right. You can't win the fight if they don't let you in the octagon. McGregor is still likely to knock you out but, just maybe, you throw some wildass right while he's clowning, and you win.
1/17/2017 12:34 PM
I'm not saying the C schools should have no chance at these guys...but if an A uses all visits, the C uses all visits, and all the other factors are similar then the C shouldn't be able to get above moderate.

Now if the A team is spread sort of thin and the C can somehow sense that (alot harder to know in 3.0 than 2.0) and the C goes all-in but say the A team only does 75% of the effort, then in a situation like this I can understand the C reaching High. Say maybe 50% effort from the A, then maybe the C reaches Very High. Something like that, to me at least, would make sense based on the prestige difference values of the 2 programs.
1/17/2017 12:36 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Prestige Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.