Prestige Question Topic

Posted by mullycj on 1/17/2017 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 1/17/2017 12:28:00 PM (view original):
From my understanding they stated the value of prestige hadn't changed, at least that's what they said in the developer chat.
I think they misrepresent that statement.
For example, in the old HD could C programs even recruit 5 STAR players?
Yes they wouldn't usually get the "hey i'm better than you" emails... but it did happen. tended to be more prevalent at D levels IIRC.

I think there's plenty of competition for high level recruits before parity was introduced with the participation trophies. However, I don't think it's ruined the game by any means. I would (personally) rather have the considering screen not differentiate between high/very high. Only have it show the coach where they stand on the recruiting page and somehow have recruits considering page show schools they're considering signing with.
1/17/2017 12:36 PM
Well, the above was directed at mullycj but I think it applies to rogelio too.

No, and I think 33% might be too high, but I think they should have a chance.

FWIW, let's not drag "real-life" into this. Duke doesn't contact two players during the entire recruiting process because they only have 1 scholarship. They contact hundreds and put real effort into a few. Real-life does not translate well in the recruiting process of this game.
1/17/2017 12:38 PM
Dammit.
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2017 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Uh, I'm sure you saw TJ's "33%" post.

A+ should certainly have an advantage. And their AP, HV, CV, minutes and starts should mean more. But it shouldn't be a guarantee. A+ just can't show up and say "You're mine." It is a game. I don't want a participation trophy. But I wouldn't want to be entitled either. The outside chance of a C battling, and possibly winning, with an A+, with the A+ putting in lots less effort, seems about right. You can't win the fight if they don't let you in the octagon. McGregor is still likely to knock you out but, just maybe, you throw some wildass right while he's clowning, and you win.
The original question wasn't "with the A+ putting in lots less effort". That is a completely different situation in my opinion as I just laid out in my above post.

The original question was if the 2 schools put in the same effort and all other factors are close to equal.
Posted by skinzfan36 on 1/17/2017 12:38:00 PM (view original):

A+ should certainly have an advantage. And their AP, HV, CV, minutes and starts should mean more. But it shouldn't be a guarantee. A+ just can't show up and say "You're mine." It is a game. I don't want a participation trophy. But I wouldn't want to be entitled either. The outside chance of a C battling, and possibly winning, with an A+, with the A+ putting in lots less effort, seems about right. You can't win the fight if they don't let you in the octagon. McGregor is still likely to knock you out but, just maybe, you throw some wildass right while he's clowning, and you win.
The original question wasn't "with the A+ putting in lots less effort". That is a completely different situation in my opinion as I just laid out in my above post.

The original question was if the 2 schools put in the same effort and all other factors are close to equal.
My assumption is that both were "very high".
1/17/2017 12:40 PM
Posted by mullycj on 1/17/2017 12:23:00 PM (view original):
I'm more with the skins opinion that everyone shouldn't get a participation trophy (even in 3.0). You shouldn't be able to win a recruit 2+ letter grades lower then another school.
"A" schools should be battle other "A and B" schools.
"C" schools should be battling "B/C/D" schools.

Otherwise, like skins said, if everyone can get everyone, why the fck do we even have prestige?
With regards to your last comment. That's the participation trophy mentality. Brown (at C) should have 0% at signing a top recruit. What Brown should be doing is working to get to "B" prestige so that they CAN eventually get a top recruit. But Seble and his participation trophy mentality wants everyone to feel like a winner.
Well. if getting to the NT gets you a B than I mostly agree with you. REMOVING THE REAL LIFE ARGUMENT, the drawback I see is that some teams never drop below a B. Kansas can lose from now until when my wife decides she like me again (just joking) and it'll be a B and I can pretty much never take Fordham to an A+.

Baseline prestige reeks havoc on creating something close to a level playing field.

And to answer your question, we have prestige because it helps the teams, I am all for it helping, I am against it dictating who can ever try to play.
1/17/2017 12:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2017 12:40:00 PM (view original):

And we might be saying the same thing in different ways.

If A+ and C put in the exact same effort, I'd have no problem with A+ winning 100% of the time. But both aren't putting in the same effort if both at "Very High". And if both are VH, C school has to have a chance. A+ didn't bury him.
1/17/2017 12:42 PM
Well if both are at Very High then that means the C has what, at least a 40% chance of winning the player? I can't remember what Very High indicates.

In this situation I would only expect the A school to have probably put in around 50% effort of the C school. I would have no problem with the C school then having a legit chance at landing the recruit.
1/17/2017 12:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2017 12:42:00 PM (view original):

If A+ and C put in the exact same effort, I'd have no problem with A+ winning 100% of the time. But both aren't putting in the same effort if both at "Very High". And if both are VH, C school has to have a chance. A+ didn't bury him.
Yeah I was just going with the original part of the thread which was the two schools putting in the same amount of effort. But yeah we sound like we are both on the same page really.

Right now from my experience as an A+ I have had schools at C prestige hang at High even when I have gone all-in on visits, offered some promised minutes, and had at least as good usually better preference match than the C school. To me that seems like too much...they shouldn't be able to get past moderate here.
1/17/2017 12:46 PM (edited)
Posted by skinzfan36 on 1/17/2017 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2017 12:42:00 PM (view original):

Yeah I was just going with the original part of the thread which was the two schools putting in the same amount of effort. But yeah we sound like we are both on the same page really.

Holy ****.

Not sure I've seen two users who think they're disagreeing actually come to an agreement in this forum.

PIN IT!!!!!
1/17/2017 12:45 PM
I know from experience that 2 letter grades is about the threshold that currently exists. As an "all-in" D+ I was knocked to moderate by a B+, and then to low (eventually very low, after I stopped pumping attention points) by an A+. That feels about right. I'm ok if a team 2 letter grades down gets a shot with an excellent preference profile (10-25%, depending on how excellent). I'm also ok if that team doesn't get a shot without an excellent preference profile.
1/17/2017 12:52 PM

Yes skinz you are correct. Thank you for answering the question as it was asked.

The thread is supposed to deal with equal effort/resources/etc. only.
1/17/2017 1:02 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 1/17/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
I know from experience that 2 letter grades is about the threshold that currently exists. As an "all-in" D+ I was knocked to moderate by a B+, and then to low (eventually very low, after I stopped pumping attention points) by an A+. That feels about right. I'm ok if a team 2 letter grades down gets a shot with an excellent preference profile (10-25%, depending on how excellent). I'm also ok if that team doesn't get a shot without an excellent preference profile.
Are you saying they should have a 10-25% chance of winning, or of getting to high? Because getting to high gives you automatically what, a 30% chance I believe.
1/17/2017 1:09 PM
Posted by skinzfan36 on 1/17/2017 1:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 1/17/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Are you saying they should have a 10-25% chance of winning, or of getting to high? Because getting to high gives you automatically what, a 30% chance I believe.
Signing odds go below 30%. People have sent in tickets, and been told of odds in the vicinity of 15%. You may need to get above 35% in a one-on-one battle to get in signing range, but at bare minimum of effort credit to get in signing range, your actual signing odds can be 15%, or presumably even less. Odds are "stretched" on something like a sliding scale, so the effort credit leader always has extra-good odds. So a 51-49 battle (in effort credit) may result in signing odds more like 55-45.
1/17/2017 1:40 PM (edited)
I believe he was referring to the VH-H and various combo results benis has posted. VH-H seems to hover around 30%.
1/17/2017 1:53 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Prestige Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.