American makes the NCAA a Big Seven? Topic

With all the changes, is AMERICAN a top conference? Cincy, UConn. etc.
1/17/2017 2:19 PM
I don't think so. And I don't think it's even close. Meaning no disrespect to SMU and Memphis and the others, UConn is the only "traditional power" in the conference.
1/17/2017 2:22 PM
As a die hard UConn fan (and alum) I have to agree with pallas. If the Big 6 are a 1, the American is at best a 1-A. It will be interesting to watch the success of SMU and Houston (and Cincy and Memphis to a lesser extent, but I feel like both those schools have tried and failed to make the jump to the next level) and they have both been steadily building. In 5 years if the conference is still together they could be close to the 7th power conference, although by that point I would expect UConn to be in the B12 or B10.
1/17/2017 2:56 PM
They are the best non power conference their is. I'm a ECU fan.
1/17/2017 3:13 PM
UConn needs the ACC or B1G to expand..
1/17/2017 4:19 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/17/2017 4:19:00 PM (view original):
UConn needs the ACC or B1G to expand..
FWIW--UConn is currently blacklisted from the ACC. Back when BC jumped ship, the UConn AD was very critical (publicly) of the move and essentially called them traitors. After being consistently pummeled by UConn for so many seasons, this was the salt in the wound that pushed BC over the edge. It was reported that the last time the ACC expanded and took Syracuse and Pittsburgh, the original choice was Syracuse and UConn, but BC vetoed it. This means 2 things; 1) the ACC isn't likely a viable option for UConn and 2) Pitt was the fallback option and was only recruited to the ACC because BC is a bunch of prissy ******* so all the loser Pitt fans can suck it and bask in their continued mediocrity. Jamie Dixon jumped ship for a reason--that boat is going down fast.
1/17/2017 4:25 PM
PS: In case you couldn't tell I think Pitt's rosters are always chock full of dirty scumbags and they are consistently the most overrated team in DI. They have not won crap since the 40's (when they were a bunch of dirty scumbags as well) and never cease to dramatically under-perform when it matters most and get knocked out of the tourney by Our Lady of the Elms or the like. Despite this, their fans act as though they have achieved something and demand to be heralded as one of the elite programs. Their fans are as rabidly annoying as Steelers fans, lacking the most basic understanding of the game and instead professing their position based on the grand argument "because Pittsburgh."

To the rest of the country, it it still and always will be Sh!tsburgh.

Now I just have to hope my wife never decides to read these forums, because she--and her entire family of willfully ignorant Pitt fans--would likely be a little upset as these stark truths. Its funny; in 12 years of Marriage (and 2 years of dating) the only real fight(s) we have ever had have been UConn/Pitt or Patriots/Steelers related. When Dejuan Blair judo flipped Thabeet and tried to break his wrist my response to the filthy, dirty, downright criminal assault landed me sleeping on the couch for a week.

PPS: Pitt Sucks.
1/17/2017 5:44 PM
I would much rather have had Uconn, Pitt fans are annoying. BC should not have that much power, they suck at all sports.
1/17/2017 8:54 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/17/2017 8:54:00 PM (view original):
I would much rather have had Uconn, Pitt fans are annoying. BC should not have that much power, they suck at all sports.
UConn fans would have much rather gone to the ACC. Two runs at reminding BC who their Daddy is each season?

And even better, two runs at Duke and that little punk b!tch Grayson?

And that weasel faced coach K?
(I make fun of him, but deep down I respect the hell out of him--he is an outstanding coach and recruiter, but you know, Duck Fuke)

Sign us up.
1/17/2017 9:09 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 1/17/2017 5:44:00 PM (view original):
PS: In case you couldn't tell I think Pitt's rosters are always chock full of dirty scumbags and they are consistently the most overrated team in DI. They have not won crap since the 40's (when they were a bunch of dirty scumbags as well) and never cease to dramatically under-perform when it matters most and get knocked out of the tourney by Our Lady of the Elms or the like. Despite this, their fans act as though they have achieved something and demand to be heralded as one of the elite programs. Their fans are as rabidly annoying as Steelers fans, lacking the most basic understanding of the game and instead professing their position based on the grand argument "because Pittsburgh."

Now I just have to hope my wife never decides to read these forums, because she--and her entire family of willfully ignorant Pitt fans--would likely be a little upset as these stark truths. Its funny; in 12 years of Marriage (and 2 years of dating) the only real fight(s) we have ever had have been UConn/Pitt or Patriots/Steelers related. When Dejuan Blair judo flipped Thabeet and tried to break his wrist my response to the filthy, dirty, downright criminal assault landed me sleeping on the couch for a week.

Kemba's ankle-breaker stepback buzzer-beating jumper on the Gibbs dude in the Big East tournament was one of the best Bball moments of all time.

I'm an Illinois fan (wooooooooooo--go Malcolm Hill the only good player we have) but I have always rooted for Uconn and New England in the postseason. Belichick is just completely ingenious and Napier and Kemba are some of my favorite non-Illinois college players of all time.

P.S. I picked Uconn to go to the Championship Game in my bracket the Napier 7th seed year.
1/17/2017 9:22 PM (edited)
Posted by cubcub113 on 1/17/2017 9:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by snafu4u on 1/17/2017 5:44:00 PM (view original):

Kemba's ankle-breaker stepback buzzer-beating jumper on the Gibbs dude in the Big East tournament was one of the best Bball moments of all time.
Meh well ECU hasn't had a fair share of memorable moments... I don't like the coach I left his daughter because he was getting the job. I'll try to find some in the meantime.
1/17/2017 9:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ETlvVLT30 Are first ever championship saw it live. This was also the year ECU played DUKE. I fondly remember my girlfriend having a poster at the game saying HEY SAM HOW WAS THAT AFFAIR??
1/17/2017 9:21 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/17/2017 9:21:00 PM (view original):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ETlvVLT30 Are first ever championship saw it live. This was also the year ECU played DUKE. I fondly remember my girlfriend having a poster at the game saying HEY SAM HOW WAS THAT AFFAIR??
EVEN ILLINOIS COULD WIN THE CIT!!!! And wow! They PLAYED Duke! Don't be proud of that...
1/17/2017 9:24 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 1/17/2017 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 1/17/2017 9:21:00 PM (view original):
EVEN ILLINOIS COULD WIN THE CIT!!!! And wow! They PLAYED Duke! Don't be proud of that...
I strongly dislike Jeff Lebo and think he is a terrible hire!
1/17/2017 9:26 PM
Illinois had a nice moment recently too.
1/17/2017 9:31 PM
12 Next ▸
American makes the NCAA a Big Seven? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.