Signing Draft Picks Topic

Just completed my first draft. I had my first round set to very conservative and drafted a guy whose signability is "Looking to be drafted in the first round. If not, he'll probably accept a scholarship to play DI college baseball."

My first offer was for slot money and I got the following response:
Kyuji is content with your offer, but is still unclear about his future. College is still an option, so he's gonna take his time with this decision. He'll let you know if anything changes.

Do I just sit tight and wait for a decision? Do I offer a bigger bonus? Could this drag out for the whole season?
1/17/2017 4:56 PM
Sit and wait. He'll eventually come back and ask for a bit more money. Offer it, and he'll accept. But in the meantime, there's nothing you can do to speed up the process.
1/17/2017 5:03 PM
Or if it was considered a weak draft, then don't give him more money when he comes back and you will get a draft pick minus one slot in next year's draft. But I would only do that if your draft prospects are considered weak. Or if you just can't afford the guy if he comes back and asks for double the amount.
1/17/2017 6:54 PM
You probably won't need more money. Just be patient.
1/17/2017 6:57 PM
Ok thanks. I'm just really excited to see what his actual ratings are. I only put 10 mil into HS scouting and ended up with a HS player so I'm nervous he'll be a bust, but if his scouting is accurate he will be a stud.
1/17/2017 6:59 PM
Eeps. Good luck $10 mill in scouting usually won't get you that much.
1/18/2017 7:59 AM
Definitely wouldn't count on accurate scouting.
1/18/2017 8:26 AM
His scouting rated him at an 88 Overall with really great hitting ratings.
con pwr vsL vsR eye br bunt pull
86 100 81 79 56 52 82 68

I am debating if he comes back asking for more money not meeting his demands and getting a compensation pick next season when I will put more into scouting. It was the 8th overall pick. Could his scouting be that far off that I would be better off with a compensation pick? Looking at other HS players who have already signed I didn't have anybody who was off by more than about 10% from their scouting numbers, which would still make this guy a valuable player I would think.
1/18/2017 10:22 AM
I hate punting picks but its a rough call. My first draft with the new fuzzy ratings I got burned with my 9th overall pick.

Behold!

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7449501

9th pick overall out of high school. Will probably never make the majors except to sweep up the bleachers after the game.
1/18/2017 10:33 AM (edited)
Nothing about him is "abnormal". A lot of times something will jump out. Like a RHB with a 78 VR and 22 VL. I wouldn't count on that 100 POW. That said, I might be tempted to see what I get with 14m. On the other hand, if he's within 10% of those, you're looking at a really good player. 75/85/80/70/50 is pretty damn good.
1/18/2017 10:29 AM
Ok thanks for your help. I only put 10mil into International Scouting this season as well and don't have a huge prospect payroll budget, so I think I will probably take the gamble on this guy as he will likely be my best chance to get an impact player this season and get my rebuild rolling.

I plan on upping all these budgets next year when a bunch of veterans clear off my payroll, and now I have a better understanding of how this all works
1/18/2017 10:39 AM
Guy came back this morning asking for a 50% increase in his bonus from 3.3 mil to 4.9. I payed him and he ended up being pretty close to his projections, Vs righty a little lower than I had hoped but his eye is better than predicted
86 92 94 64 78 53 94 43
1/20/2017 11:23 AM
Remember though, his new projections are based off your advanced scouting budget more... If that's set at $10M as well, it doesn't surprise me that the 2 scouting departments "agree".
1/20/2017 11:39 AM
More = now*
1/20/2017 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'd look at his currents and decide if I got a deal.
1/20/2017 12:31 PM
12 Next ▸
Signing Draft Picks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.