Breaking Promise to a Recruit Topic

In my eagerness to sign some big men (my only three returning players on the team I took over are three guards), I promised three centers a starting position. Two have signed, and I hope to get the third. I can move one to PF, but none of the three seems suited for SF (all are low speed, low athleticism). I know that if I don't start one, he will likely transfer, but does this have any effects on the other players or my recruiting next season? If so, I'll start the third guy wherever just to avoid any repercussions. I assume in that case, I can give that player the minimum minutes per game for a starter.
1/17/2017 5:57 PM
It hurts your reputation as a coach, which in turn has a negative effect of recruiting. It's minimal, per player, but it adds up over time and with other instances like breaking promises or rescinding scholarships of guy YOU recruited. (Cutting sim recruited players doesn't hurt your reputation) Worst case scenario, recruiting costs you a bit more effort. It's very very minor in the sceme of things.

You can also definitely run 3 bigs and 2 wings. And you can also be very effective doing it. Everything relating to your team and the success of your team is dependent upon the quality of your players, first and foremost. It may not be conventional these days to run 3 bigs, but it is very doable.
1/17/2017 7:16 PM
if you are talking about your Chapman team, then I would definitely consider starting all 3 guys. you look to have a very young team, meaning the NT will probably be out of reach. so with the plan to build towards the future, you can afford to take a few more losses to save the recruit. if you really can't keep the promise I would consider not signing the guy. but if you like him enough, it's worth the drawback.
1/17/2017 7:25 PM
Promises are only freshman year, right?
1/17/2017 7:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2017 7:30:00 PM (view original):
Promises are only freshman year, right?
Promises are only one year then it disappear's.
1/17/2017 7:41 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 1/17/2017 7:25:00 PM (view original):
if you are talking about your Chapman team, then I would definitely consider starting all 3 guys. you look to have a very young team, meaning the NT will probably be out of reach. so with the plan to build towards the future, you can afford to take a few more losses to save the recruit. if you really can't keep the promise I would consider not signing the guy. but if you like him enough, it's worth the drawback.
Yes, this is the Chapman team. And I know next season will be a struggle since I will be playing predominately freshmen, plus there are some good human-run teams in my conference. I will go ahead and play the three bigs and try to start improving the freshmen.

Thanks for the responses.
1/17/2017 9:59 PM
if you promised starts but not a ton of mins, you can start them and use target minutes and get them to play just about 10 mins a game.

You also can have each them start only 21 games or so - that means that in more than half your games you can play a real SF at the 3 - if desired.

1/17/2017 10:08 PM
21 isn't more than half, but that number is correct.
1/18/2017 4:44 PM
OK, now I have a plan.
1/18/2017 4:47 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/18/2017 4:44:00 PM (view original):
21 isn't more than half, but that number is correct.
three guys have promises. If each starts 21 games, that is 15 games in which only 2 of the 3 are starting. That means that in 15 of 26 games you can start 2 of the 3 and start a SF at the SF slot - which is more than half.
1/18/2017 5:04 PM
Breaking Promise to a Recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.