Is it best to optimize pitch counts or is there a good rule of thumb to setting those?
1/18/2017 5:40 PM
I like optimizing Although recommendations will short change pitches with a low durability.

My SP's over 70 stamina I like 100 TPC, 120 MPC.
1/18/2017 6:27 PM
I optimize first, then adjust. For instance, a 42/38 DUR/STM combo will often optimize at 35/40 or something like that. I only want my short RP throwing 2 innings max so I change it to 25/35(15 pitches per inning as rule of thumb). I only want my LRA throwing 3 so I change them to 40/50. I leave my SP at the recs and adjust if they recovery too quickly, too slowly or pitch poorly.
1/18/2017 6:31 PM
Whenever I use Management Console to set my baseline I always go back in and adjust them manually because simmy does things I don't like

-First thing I do is adjust the pitch counts for starters, relative to each person's Dur and Stam. Hockey made reference to 70 stamina but be very careful because 30-Dur + 70 Stam is a LOT different than 18 Dur + 70 Stam. I basically add Dur + Stam together and that is my optimal pitch count, so like 25- Dur + 75- Stam = 100 pitches. I then adjust upwards or downwards based on Dur. So consider 24-26 the "average" dur values, 25D 75S = 100 pitches, 20-75 I only want going 90ish, 30-70 would be 105-110.... When simmy optimizes pitch counts, it usually sets the range for 25-75 as 90target 105 max, but I narrow both ends towards one another as 95 target 100 max or to 100 target 100 max. The lower dur, the lower and narrower the range, the more dur the higher and wider the range. 15-75 I set to 75-75 or 70-75, 20-75 I set to 90-90 or 90-95, 25-75 I set to 100 100, 30-75 I set to 105-110, 35-75 I set to 110-115 or 110-120. This allows the starter to recover appropriately in time for his next start (assuming 5-man rotation). If you have 4 starters that have high dur you can do a 4-man rotation all season long, my ML teams are all typically 4-man rotation. When you do a 4-man rotation you have to lower all of the max pitch counts by 5 or 10 or even 15 to maintain their recovery.

-Next thing I do is set pitch counts for relievers, again relative to Dur and Stam. For starters I go target and max, for relievers I only go max (set target to None). This allows a guy to get pulled after, say, 1 pitch if the 1 pitch is say, a home run. If a guy has a pull rating of 4 but a target pitch of 30, simmy tends to do the wrong thing and leaves him in way longer than I want. It is important to note how many pitches it takes for 1.0 IP, on average. League average is something like 17.5 or 18, the best guys will be in the 14-15 range which is ridiculous but awesome. For relievers, stam will represent how quickly their % goes from 100 to 0, and dur reflects how quickly it recovers back to 100. For a reliever, it's illogical to set a pitch count higher than the stam value, because the pitcher's % is invisibly dwindling to 0 (0) mid-game and their attributes are no longer functioning, even if their splits are 90-90. You know when you play the empty minor league teams and you win 30-0 because all their pitchers are 0(0)? That's what happens when you let a 15 stamina pitcher throw 30 pitches in one outing. He gets the first two guys out and then goes walk walk 3-run home run. If so, you deserved it.

As I mentioned previously, dur and stam determine pitch counts.. if a guy has 25 stam, there's a big difference between 95 dur and 35 dur. The guy with 95-25 can pitch max 20 (or 25) probably 3 out of every 4 days. The guy with 35-25 will almost always need an off day the next day after throwing 15. He could probably throw 10 on 2 out of 3 days, maybe 5 on 3 out of 4 days. The regular season is super long and appearances are very important. Prinz on my Texas team and Tatum on my Seattle team routinely make 100 appearances, but it's because I restrict their pitch-count-per-appearance. They each have 35 stam but I only ask them to make 20 or 25 pitches per appearance so that they can have an influence on a higher volume of games ...

-Last thing I do is set all of the pull ratings. SetupA and LRA all get 3, SetupB and LRB all get 4. Starters all go to 3, the best starters get 2, the below average ones get 4. If they're enough of a dumpster fire to be a 5 then they should be long relievers and not starters. Pull rating is kind of a "circle of trust" thing, and I just go by ERA ranges basically. 2.99 and below is my 2 pull rating, 3.00 to 3.99 is 3, 4.00 to 5.75 is 4, and 5.76+ is 5. On all of my 5 teams across 40 seasons or whatever I have only had three pitchers set to 1 pull rating- Delgado on my Seattle team, and Flores (SP) and Kondou (CLA) on my Toronto team. There's certain guys that you're just never pulling under any circumstances (ie both splits are in the 90s) but there are times where your guy just doesn't have it, whether it be certain lineups or just bad luck or whatever... if a guy is having a bad game just get him out of there and save his stamina for the next game. No point in having your best guy acting as his own mop-up...
1/20/2017 5:28 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.