Idea for fixing recruiting Topic

I have an idea for fixing recruiting, maybe its been proposed before. What if they increased the amount of AP's per scholarship? That would actally allow for teams to develop backup options while competing for the players you want. RIght now, in order to develop backup options you have to almost give up on your main options to even just unlock a scholarship for backup options.

In a recent recruiting period, I had 4 open scholarships, I was in a hard fought battle for a guy, I had to go all in on HVs, CVs, Promise start, 25 Promise minutes to keep myself in contention with the two other teams that had the same prestige as me. Then I had a choice, I could either stay all in with APs on this guy with 20 APs to spend on my other 3 targets plus my backup options, or I could stop pumping APs into this guy, and severly hurt my chances to win because my oponnents would be. I decided to go 80 on him because this guy was a program changer. I lost two of my other targets, and I signed one, that signing of one gave me only 80 APs to spend, so I could then go 80 on my main target, and have no back up options, or I could cut some APs off my main target. I cut 10 APs of my main target to slowly (extremly slowly) unlock someone else. I then lost my main target after going all in on everything, and 943 APs. Its now late, all of the good players are already considering people, and I have no players with unlocked scholarships. Had I had more APs, I could have not had to lose those other targets I had, or I could have other players unlocked scholarships for.

With 4 scholarships you should be able to fight for more than one guy, at least 2 guys. I am suggesting bumb it up to at least 35 APs.
1/19/2017 2:27 PM
Wont fix anything IMO. Coaches who go all in with 80 APs would then choose to go all in on 2 players with 80 and still have no other backup options. You cant change human nature.
1/19/2017 2:48 PM
Yep.
1/19/2017 3:01 PM
Roughly, how many AP does it take a D1 team to open a scholoarship on a D1 player? I know how many it takes as a D3 team trying for a Projected D1 player (usually in my case these are High D2 types, btw), and also an approximate number for Projected D2 guys. D3 players I can open very quickly. I am assuming that same division to same division would be relevant at all levels?
1/19/2017 3:01 PM
If you recruit within your division, it doesn't take that much effort to unlock someone as a backup plan.
Your strategy was to go all in, and it backfired. It sucks, it's happened to me but it's also worked out for me. Behavior won't change if there are more AP's.
1/19/2017 3:09 PM
The solution is that AP value should have diminishing marginal returns. Skip the '80' limitation, but make the recruiting value after 125% of final unlock decay until it is useless after 300% of final unlock (an email could arrive "quit texting me...I've got an exam, dude!").
1/19/2017 3:26 PM
Even if you then choose to go all in for 2 players, then you would still then be recruiting 2 players for 4 spots instead of 1, it would still be an improvment.
1/19/2017 3:53 PM
There is no other option besides losing, or recruiting sucky players. Because of the value of APs, you have to keep up with your oponnent if you want a shot at winning.
1/19/2017 3:55 PM
You do realize that everyone else has more AP too, right? They'll be recruiting 2 players for 4 spots instead of just one also.
1/19/2017 3:56 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/19/2017 2:27:00 PM (view original):
I have an idea for fixing recruiting, maybe its been proposed before. What if they increased the amount of AP's per scholarship? That would actally allow for teams to develop backup options while competing for the players you want. RIght now, in order to develop backup options you have to almost give up on your main options to even just unlock a scholarship for backup options.

In a recent recruiting period, I had 4 open scholarships, I was in a hard fought battle for a guy, I had to go all in on HVs, CVs, Promise start, 25 Promise minutes to keep myself in contention with the two other teams that had the same prestige as me. Then I had a choice, I could either stay all in with APs on this guy with 20 APs to spend on my other 3 targets plus my backup options, or I could stop pumping APs into this guy, and severly hurt my chances to win because my oponnents would be. I decided to go 80 on him because this guy was a program changer. I lost two of my other targets, and I signed one, that signing of one gave me only 80 APs to spend, so I could then go 80 on my main target, and have no back up options, or I could cut some APs off my main target. I cut 10 APs of my main target to slowly (extremly slowly) unlock someone else. I then lost my main target after going all in on everything, and 943 APs. Its now late, all of the good players are already considering people, and I have no players with unlocked scholarships. Had I had more APs, I could have not had to lose those other targets I had, or I could have other players unlocked scholarships for.

With 4 scholarships you should be able to fight for more than one guy, at least 2 guys. I am suggesting bumb it up to at least 35 APs.
The answer here is to keep the unlocking process the same, but devalue APs, so there's no real incentive to keep dumping 80 APs into your 5-star every period. IMO, they're about 10X more valuable than they should be.
1/19/2017 4:00 PM
Recruiting is the same now as it's always been. YOU have to make choices. And make smart, calculated decisions. Sometimes these fail utterly, sometimes they succeed wildly. There's some luck involved too. Sometimes you battle someone who makes bad choices, sometimes you make the bad choices. What's changed is that the playing field is now more balanced than it has ever been, which means now more than ever, people who make smart decisions in recruiting will see results more often based on those decisions, rather than based on baseline prestige.
1/19/2017 4:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/19/2017 3:56:00 PM (view original):
You do realize that everyone else has more AP too, right? They'll be recruiting 2 players for 4 spots instead of just one also.
Yes I do realize that. But then I would be able to fight more battles, right now there is not enough resources to recruit for the amount of open scholarships you have.
1/19/2017 4:20 PM
Posted by johnsensing on 1/19/2017 4:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/19/2017 2:27:00 PM (view original):

The answer here is to keep the unlocking process the same, but devalue APs, so there's no real incentive to keep dumping 80 APs into your 5-star every period. IMO, they're about 10X more valuable than they should be.
I would be fine with this too.
1/19/2017 4:21 PM
The problem right now is that it is way too difficult to recruit for the amount of open scholarships that you have. This severely hurts Fastbreak/FCP teams that need 12 players to succeed. I have been forced to take bad players that I would never take because I need that extra player to succeed. It hurts anyone that has a lot of open scholarships. It would still be an even playing field, but it would be an even playing field for more players.
1/19/2017 4:24 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 1/19/2017 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/19/2017 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Yes I do realize that. But then I would be able to fight more battles, right now there is not enough resources to recruit for the amount of open scholarships you have.
So would everyone else.

Your situation doesn't change.
1/19/2017 4:27 PM
12345 Next ▸
Idea for fixing recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.