HD Repost: The Loss of Player Novelty Topic

One of the two main reasons that I fell in love with WIS was the ability to form powerful (and---often---strange) bonds between my WIS players and myself. I felt back then as I still do today when I sit down every Saturday afternoon and see the stadium that I love shake and the faces that I love (or, sometimes, get so angry with) tucked under the same headsets that I see every week on the same men in Polo shirts in the press box: these are people I know. This is the team I love. *THIS* is why I give up 4 hours every Saturday fall afternoon without fail to watch the same group of incompetents take us to another Outback Bowl.

With WIS, it's the exact same love of familiarity that permits us to form such religious attachments to our Tarleton States in GD and HD and our Scranton Dunder Mifflins in HBD.

Lately, though, I have found my lack of interest in WIS dwindling rapidly (as it has, historically, for every other WIS mainstay that suddenly went from twenty to zero teams because a spark that had been there every morning, afternoon, and evening cycle for the past five years suddenly wasn't there often enough to reward the time commitment that playing WIS the best way requires).

The big problem is that I just don't care about players anymore. I couldn't care less if this new handle-bar mustachioed closer named Catfish Johnson (who looks exactly the same as the last handlebar reliever I had: Sal Gehrig) does well or gets shelled: I just want the W and the reward points, because these players haven't been believable enough for me to want to spend the time staring at their player profiles to learn that they were from (Insert hometown with typo here), Mississippi.

With familiarity and attachment so important, why, then, hasn't the player image database been updated for countless years, or, just as disappointing, that the technology of player imagery, itself, hasn't mirrored computer graphic advancement? I am still staring at the same Madden 64 depictions of players. "Dude, {unwraps phone cord under his Reebok shoes} my shortstop just dove and now his head is going in and out of the base....No, it won't let me move on to the next play.....I think the game thinks that because one of the players' heads is stuck in a rubber square, it's not Kosher to just move on to the next pitch just yet...........................Yeah, I'll blow on the cartridge." It just doesn't feel realistic anymore.

And, Christ! What about those ******* player names, huh? Have you ever seen so many 20 year-old Rogers and Terrys and Dons and Chesters in your whole ******* life? In the name of realism, where are the Lamars and the DeAndres and the Devins and, hell, even the Michaels (really.)? Or the Jordans and the Jorges and the Joses and the Kevins and the Kawhis and the Raekwons and the Adens?

OH! THE ******* Adens! Look around in the real world, man! Every kid born since Y2fuckingK is named Aden! Get with it, WIS!

How am I supposed to believe that this NHL 95 graphic staring back at me is a real *person* on *my* team? And, isn't that what this is all about? The search of realism of concept for the fulfillment of fanatical interest?

I guess, to wrap up hastily, lately, I'm just struggling to feel like I'm running a sports program; rather, most days, I'm likely to feel like I'm playing in Exhibition Mode in NBA Live 97, and 98 came out last week and I'm really close to going to Gamestop to pick it up to see if it might be an improvement over my current copy.

It's just that I'm tired of Dell Curry's stupid *** looking at me crosseyed every game.
1/20/2017 8:44 AM
Thanks for posting.
1/20/2017 8:54 AM
See, it's strange. I still love a lot of what you listed. Being a Canadian kid (too old to call myself that but whatever) I love having a closer from Maple Ridge BC. It was tough for me to trade away a middle reliever from Chatam Ontario and anytime a player is from West Virginia (one of my good friends is from there) I get excited.

Sure the names are straight out of the 30's but that's the fun too. Realizim would be nice but I love having players like 'Stumpy Log' 'Jumbo Wood' and 'Tiny Graves'. The names were clearly made for nostalgia purposes.

For me, I'll probably always keep coming back because I want to know if that 18 year old rookie I drafted in the first round will be the hero of San Diego or St Louis or if they will be another bust.

I find that if you accept what the sim is and what it isn't, and take aspects of the game more tongue in cheek (Players looking for a contract that have been out of work half the season would never tell an owner where to shove it for lowballing them a couple grand) you'll enjoy the game more.
1/20/2017 9:05 AM
I honestly know what any of my players look like or where they hail from. Except The Great Jimmy Powell. #31 in the program, #1 in the hearts of all Charlestonians!!!!!
1/20/2017 9:35 AM
I just don't have anybody I'm in love with. They just feel like the same retreads of guys I used to love. I need some novelty. New name options. New face options.
1/20/2017 10:25 PM
Anyone remember Mutant League Football and Hockey on Sega? They could change the players to monsters, that'd be novel. Maybe insert land mines and fire pits into the sim to shake things up too. Bribing refs, players literally dying.. man this brings back memories.
1/21/2017 2:58 AM
Funny post. I actually like the ridiculous names. How do guys like Sticky Fingers not get you giggling? And what about the "may sign if the deal is right" draft prospects? Like the 5'6" white kid who has dreams of playing pro basketball or the black guy named Juan who lives in Texas and wants to be a pro hockey player? LOL
1/24/2017 11:08 PM
I enjoy the throwback names, but would love for WIS to do an update and add more names to the database. That way, I might not have two Juan Perezes on the same roster. Lol.

I do feel a bond with the players and that's because I am invested in the game and want it to get better. I think we all do, which is why we post here and take the time each cycle to take a look at what our teams have done. It's my home away from home.
1/25/2017 9:09 PM
I definitely feel it. And I know it's probably stupid but I usually care about my favorite players stats and awards more than actually winning
1/26/2017 12:03 AM
Posted by brianplath on 1/21/2017 2:58:00 AM (view original):
Anyone remember Mutant League Football and Hockey on Sega? They could change the players to monsters, that'd be novel. Maybe insert land mines and fire pits into the sim to shake things up too. Bribing refs, players literally dying.. man this brings back memories.
Mutant Hockey League was my 2nd favorite Sega game ever behind that baseball game where the robots could absolutely destroy the ball. Great throwback.

Adding names to the generator should be an easy fix. I'd be all for that. The images would be a bigger investment that I doubt WIS would consider right now, but adding names shouldn't take more than an hour in development.
1/26/2017 8:57 AM
How about giving players a number?
1/26/2017 10:15 AM
Adding new player pics and names, along with new team logos and ballparks, would really go a long way toward freshening up this game. Doesn't seem like it would be a hugely expensive investment, but I'm no expert on that.
1/30/2017 11:21 AM
Posted by travisg on 1/30/2017 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Adding new player pics and names, along with new team logos and ballparks, would really go a long way toward freshening up this game. Doesn't seem like it would be a hugely expensive investment, but I'm no expert on that.
I'd really like to see player numbers, the ability to edit the Stadium name (maybe even change the park factors just a bit--not drastically), and some fresh faces and names too. It's not at the top of my list of cool things I want to see added/changed, but they are all really good ideas
1/30/2017 4:50 PM
I know it's nitpicking too and maybe stereotyping, but I seem to notice a lot of 5'8" players with 90 power and 95 velocity and all the 6'6 guys with 35 power and 27 velocity. No offense Jose Altuve.
1/30/2017 5:30 PM
Can't say those things matter much to me but it would be a good idea to add more variety in names, change the player portraits and add numbers.
1/30/2017 7:18 PM
HD Repost: The Loss of Player Novelty Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.