Ridiculous pinch hitting logic Topic

Curious if anyone can make any sense to why the sim decided to PH for two of my best hitters, back to back, in the top of the 9th of a 4-4 tie game.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=82917358&tab=box&mode=classic

And of course it happens in game #161 when I'm tied for the division lead, the bonehead who PH for my SS then went in to play SS (he's got like 70 range) and makes an error that leads to me losing the game.
1/20/2017 3:42 PM (edited)
Why do you have your settings set to allow two of your best hitters to be PH for? Do you have better bats (for any circumstance) sitting on the bench?
1/20/2017 8:23 PM
Agree with zbrent. The sim just followed your parameters. If you wanted those two guys to remain in your lineup they should be higher in your PH rankings than the guys who came in. Also, your backup SS should have came in for defense. Do you have him set to backup your SS in your player settings?
1/21/2017 2:52 AM
I shouldn't have to uncheck (or check, whatever) the box saying not to lift my two best hitters for a PH, Neither guy who came into PH is a better hitter than the guys they replaced.

Leon, who came in to pinch hit for my SS, isn't even the guy I have designated to come in as a defensive replacement/rest at SS. In fact, the guy I have in that slot didn't even get in the game. Even if they thought Leon was a better hitter than my regular SS in that spot, which he isn't, why then wouldn't my designated defensive replacement at SS then come in and replace Leon in the field?
1/21/2017 6:50 PM
What about the pinch hitting "Close game, need power late" or whatever it is? The pinch hitters had more power is the only thing I can think of
1/21/2017 7:17 PM
I would have to think the sim coach / settings saw something in the situation that called for the override. Depending on those situations, the sim isn't necessarily going to know who an owner considers his "best" hitters to be. So you have to un-check those players. One thing about this game, default settings might not give you results you want. Going through each setting, one by one, is the only way to fine tune that.

1/21/2017 7:33 PM
Looks like a combination of need power late and a VL rating. Greisinger has a much better VL rating than Bailes and while Leon and Baerga have similar VL Leon has higher Power. It also looks lie the sim was on the nose PH for Bailes as he has better C/P and VL Leon was arguable but it isn't really a bad move even if you don't agree with it.. It also looks like the exact same logic sparky used to PH Oliva for Sivilla (Power Late and VR) when he hit the GW HR.

On the defensive replacement I don't know but have a guess.

It probably looked at
DEFENSIVE SUBS AND REST
Use defensive subs if winning by

In the manager setting and since it was tied it didn't look at the defensive replacements. It's a hole in the logic tree that should look to replace PH's with the first player on the Defensive replacement chart.
1/22/2017 12:52 AM (edited)
Ridiculous pinch hitting logic Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.