New Just joined Allen. Topic

Is there a dominant off and def that everyone runs? I'm hoping not
1/22/2017 5:28 PM
You can make any offense/defense combination work if you know how to recruit for whatever offense/defense you're playing. The top teams at D3 and D2, at least in Wooden, seem to be fastbreak/press. At D1, not so much.

Read this: https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/help/hoops101.aspx
1/22/2017 5:37 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/22/2017 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Yeah maybe if you submit a ticket they can move your team reservation. Give it a shot.

And to answer your other question on the Allen forum - all worlds are good and have active D3 conferences. I'd try to get in a conference with 4-6 coaches so you can chat and learn but not get crushed in every game. If you joined super conference with 10-11 other really good coaches, it could be rough.
NOW you tell me?
1/22/2017 9:22 PM
I second pallas's hoops 101 suggestion - and it does seem to be easier to succeed at D3 with a press defense. You can have success (tarvolon's maryville comes to mind) playing man to man, but with the imperfect players you get at D3 I do notice that press wins the most frequently. Fastbreak pairs naturally with press as they require similar players, but really you can run any offense and be successful - there is no dominant offense at D3 in my experience
1/23/2017 1:27 AM
as for picking your new team, id look at 3 things:

1- the players on the team you are inheriting. Are they a total rebuild? What is the class structure - is it 3 players per class or do you have 6 seniors and 6 juniors and 0 underclassmen? This is very much personal preference.
2-where the school is located. If you are in a population hub like NYC you will have a lot of nearby recruits, which makes them cheaper to sign. However, there are many more human coaches nearby which can be tough. Typically speaking, the 2 most popular schools at D3 are also the 2 most geographically isolated ones who happen to be near reasonable sized cities (Colorado College and Palm Beach Atlantic). I prefer isolated schools, but to each their own. Isolated but with a population base is normally the best, but those jobs can be very hard to land since they are in such high demand.
3-who is in the conference? Do you want all sims? that can make it easier to reach the tourney as a mediocre team since you can just win the conference tournament against a bunch of sims. But full conferences can be a lot of fun if the users are active in the chat and you enjoy the competition. Also, how spread out your conference is can determine how easy it is to make the conference into a superconference. If you are all in the same city, then you will fight for the same recruits. But if you are in USA South (Florida to Virginia) university (Texas to Kentucky) or S Cal (California to Texas) it can be a lot easier since you aren't right on top of eachother. For my personal preference, when learning how to succeed at that division, I prefer empty conferences. When I'm pretty confident in my abilities, I prefer filled conferences.

CoachWards suggestion of SCal in Allen is a fair one - Cal Lutheran and Occidental would both have passable rosters next year. But basically you can have fun in whichever conference you join.
1/23/2017 1:49 AM
Posted by mbriese on 1/22/2017 9:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/22/2017 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Yeah maybe if you submit a ticket they can move your team reservation. Give it a shot.

And to answer your other question on the Allen forum - all worlds are good and have active D3 conferences. I'd try to get in a conference with 4-6 coaches so you can chat and learn but not get crushed in every game. If you joined super conference with 10-11 other really good coaches, it could be rough.
NOW you tell me?
#Slaughterhouse
1/23/2017 4:39 AM
◂ Prev 12
New Just joined Allen. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.