YOUR OWN PRIVATE WOODSTOCK Topic

On the topic of films, I just read a prescient review of "Citizen Kane" by Jorge Luis Borges from 1941 (the year "CK" was released). After complimenting many aspects of it, Borges came to the conclusion that "CK" will endure as a film "whose historical value is undeniable but which no one cares to see again. It is too gigantic, pedantic, tedious."

I agree! It's the kind of film you see once, you're impressed in at least some way by (maybe even many ways), but you never want to see it again for as long as you live.

Here are 10 more examples of what I'm talking about:
  1. Gone with the Wind
  2. It's a Wonderful Life
  3. Dr. Strangelove
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird
  5. Last Tango in Paris
  6. Gandhi
  7. Dances with Wolves
  8. Unforgiven
  9. Schindler's List
  10. Forrest Gump

I saw all of these once, and won't see any of them again. Except for "Gone with the Wind" and "Gandhi," which I didn't see even once. For some reason, though, I feel safe putting them on the list!
2/14/2017 8:42 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
it was a perfect list...it really resonates....it seems like so many best movie oscar winners can be considered for the list.
2/15/2017 10:00 AM
Several of those movies I have seen a second time and enjoyed them again; however, I think there has to be a significant buffer in time for that to happen. Mostly, I saw some of them when I was young and enjoyed them for different reasons than I did when I saw them again as an adult. Even though the movie doesn't change, our perspective can change the movie.
2/15/2017 10:27 AM
i guess it is a wonderful life can be seen more then once for many people....i would add the magnificent movie glory...knowing what happens i could not watch that a second time.
2/15/2017 11:32 AM
tom hanks is a gifted actor but i never bought him as forrest gump..i could never forget he was acting while i watched him...peter sellers on the other hand really sold me in being there.
2/15/2017 1:12 PM
im going to try to think of a top 10 list of rock and roll movies...one that will definitely go on the list was the movie about alan freed..i forgot the title...hard days night and help will naturally make the list.
2/15/2017 1:15 PM
Another really good movie that I don't need to see again is Saving Private Ryan. It's literally exhausting to watch.
2/15/2017 4:47 PM
Lawrence of Arabia

I can definitely watch Dr. Strangelove periodically.
2/15/2017 7:13 PM
Sophie's Choice.
2/15/2017 8:58 PM
Great post, CrazyStengel.
whenever my father claims that "citizen kane is the best movie ever made" i say
"feel like watching it now?"
I never feel like watching it again, but it is a very good movie.

i agree with so much of your list. There are a few on it that i never even got all the way through once
("gone with the wind"), and some I have seen way too many times
("its a wonderful life").

how about the opposite list :
movies you can watch over and over , or at least once a year, and never get tired of?
a few suggestions

"Casablanca"
"the apartment"
"rear window"
"a night at the opera"
(6 other marx brothers movies)
"to be or not to be" (the lubitsh version with jack benny)
"the african queen"
"north by northwest"
"gunga din"
"sons of the desert"
"sherlock junior"
and my all time favorite:
"big deal on madonna street" (soliti ignoti)
2/15/2017 9:44 PM
Jimmy stewart's breakdown in "its a wonderful life" is very disturbing, as are many other elements of the movie.
Stewart was a much more complicated actor than Hanks: his "everyman" has dimensions and dark corners that hanks never even approsches.
maybe i'm justbtoo subjective, but i find hanks to be really blah. Stewart gave some very nuanced performances in movies like "rear window", "vertigo", "wonderful life" , "rope", "liberty valance", mr. smith", and even earlier comedies like "the shop around the corner" . compare that performance to hanks' pedestrian one in ephron's remake/ripoff , "you've got mail", and the difference is clear.
I dont see them being in the same league at all.
2/16/2017 11:45 AM
i agree that jimmy could show a dark side....i cant think of any movies in which hanks played a nasty dangerous character...im sure he can do anything well.........i do like youve got mail...whats not to like........one thing that brings the comparison is that they didnt do junk movies.
2/16/2017 12:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
YOUR OWN PRIVATE WOODSTOCK Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.