King of the South Challenge Topic

Good Evening Fellow Wilkerson Coaches....This is my first time doing something like this so be kind please!

I'd like to announce the this season will be the inaugural King of the South Challenge! The GSC and the SIAC will matchup to claim superiority. This year we're starting off modest, however the goal is to have some quality non-conference games between rival conferences. We have 3 games in Season 129:
  1. In a week one matchup, we have an up and coming Tuskegee University fresh off a playoff appearance coached by BigKeithDog traveling to Cleveland MS to take on Delta State coached by NewGuy_97. NewGuy_97 has Delta State averaging 10 wins a year and has made the playoffs every year he's been there. Delta State should open as the favorite and should defend home field, however the game should be a nail-biter and one that fellow Wilkerson D-2 coaches should keep an eye on due to the potential of both teams making the playoffs this year.
  2. In another week one matchup we have D-2 Powerhouse St. Joseph's coached by Gator06 will be traveling to Top 20 Valdosta St coached by ColumbusBuck. The St. Joseph's program is one of the gold standards when it comes to D-2 football with 10 NCs and 41 CCs. Last year was a disappointment for the program losing in the second round and Gator06 will be looking to get the program rolling again this year. ColumbusBuck has the home game in this matchup, however vegas oddsmakers might still have his Valdosta St team as the homedog. The team has improved and made the playoffs 2 years in a row after a disappointing Season 126 where they went 8-5 and failed to make the playoffs.
  3. In the final matchup in the King of the South Challenge, Kentucky State coached by MDodge13 will travel to Carrollton, Georgia to take on West Georgia coached by JeffC7823. While many might view this game as the least glamorous of the 3 games due to both teams not making the playoffs last year, these 2 teams look to put on a show. MDodge13 is in his 4th year of his rebuild at Kentucky State and instead of taking on patsies to build his win total, MDodge13 took on a top25 SOS! He is hoping his top 25 recruiting class from last year can grow and he'll be able to turn the corner with his program. West Georgia took a step back last year with a record of 8-6 and failed to make the playoffs after going 11-4 the season prior. Winning this matchup vs Kentucky State and winning the GSC North should be enough to get him in the playoffs.

Leave comments/predictions for the matchups. Good luck to all participants.
1/29/2017 6:42 PM
Very cool.
1/29/2017 6:45 PM
Nice job BKD! Super cool. Go SIAC!
1/29/2017 11:00 PM
Awesome stuff! Keep it up!
1/29/2017 11:18 PM
Thanks BKD!! Good work!
1/30/2017 12:07 AM
Looking good (even though I will get toasted this year lol)!
1/30/2017 12:44 AM
We just have to win the rest of them haha.
1/30/2017 12:16 PM
We have MichStFan so we'll have a 4th game next year. Hopefully we get a couple of new coaches in the SIAC so we can matchup with you guys in the GSC.
1/30/2017 2:03 PM
Posted by bigkeithdog on 1/30/2017 2:03:00 PM (view original):
We have MichStFan so we'll have a 4th game next year. Hopefully we get a couple of new coaches in the SIAC so we can matchup with you guys in the GSC.
And on this note any D3 coaches that are going to move up next year we'd love to have you in the SIAC! Sitemail or hit us up in our chat anytime during the year if you have any questions regarding the teams available etc. Also wouldn't hurt to mention Moonrook took over North Alabama (GSC), a team I had scheduled when it was coached by a SIM. Good luck GSC!
2/1/2017 9:26 AM
Looking forward to our game! GL BKD!
2/9/2017 2:14 PM
Good Luck to everyone in our inaugural challenge.....NewGuy especially. I do hope the SIAC takes the W though. I think what we're developing in our challenge is unique and fun. I hope we can continue this a keep growing.......To say I'm not feeling too comfy about going to Delta St this year is an understatement.
2/10/2017 3:44 AM
Results from the first two matchups in the Inaugural KOTS Challenge were:
  1. Tuskegee University pulls off the mild upset and defeats Delta State by a score of 24-20. Player of the game honors went to RB Ryan Fitzpatrick.....and no not the terrible QB playing for the NY Jets. His stats for the game were 13 rush 62 yds/2tds and 9 recs 71yds. Delta had two opportunities in the 4th quarter to take a lead. Delta State threw for an amazing 480yds however the game came down to the drive Delta State when advanced all of the way to the 6 yd line until they weren't able to convert. The 2 coaches enjoyed their matchup so much, they plan to make this a yearly game that will rival the likes of ND vs USC!!!
  2. In the marquee matchup of KOTS challenge with two top 25 teams, St. Joseph's wins in an away game at Valdosta St with a score of 32-17. Senior DL Shane Smith came up big for St. Joseph's with 12 tkls/2scks/2ff. Valdosta St's 2 TDs in the 4th quarter weren't enough for a comeback. Louis McCray came up big for VSU with over 100yds rushing and receiving. St. Joesph's is always a title threat in D-2 and the fact Columbus Buck stepped up and accepted the challenge speaks volumes!!!!
  3. We still have a week 4 matchup with Kentucky State vs West Georgia. Even though the SIAC officially has clinched the 1st annual KOTS challenge, both teams have plenty to play for!! Good Luck to both teams....
2/12/2017 10:42 PM
The Lone Star Conference is looking forward to participating in the KOTS challenge next season. Thanks bigkeithdog for your efforts.
2/13/2017 1:13 AM
Posted by strieffman on 2/13/2017 1:13:00 AM (view original):
The Lone Star Conference is looking forward to participating in the KOTS challenge next season. Thanks bigkeithdog for your efforts.
BKD is a stud. It'll truly be a KING OF THE SOUTH challenge at that point.
2/13/2017 10:39 AM
Yeah big thanks to BKD for setting this up...

strieffman, we had already been discussing matchups to get the LSC in. Let me look at our chat and find where we were talking about it. I know we had it set for Tarleton to play Henderson St next season. Let me go look at the other matchups.
2/13/2017 10:58 AM
12 Next ▸
King of the South Challenge Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.