Redshirting "Sky's the Limit" kicker? Topic

I just signed this "sky's the limit" kicker. I am toying with the idea of redshirting him just to see how good he can be after five seasons. The downside is, I will need to use my punter as the kicker for one season. I am at BC in D1 Bryant and should have a contending team, so I am not sure if pursuing this notion is worth the risk. Would appreciate some opinions.
Pos Name A SPD D WE ST STR BLK TKL H GI E T OVR Miles Signed By
K Raymond Gay 64 58 41 48 34 51 45 36 24 61 63 74 599 460 Boston College
2/1/2017 8:55 AM
Let's say he becomes the greatest kicker in GD history. What would his range be? I wouldn't want to burn a redshirt year for him to be kicking from 55 instead of 54.
2/1/2017 9:03 AM
I agree with tribe. Unless you just absolutely have nobody else that you would like to develop for 5 seasons.
2/1/2017 10:01 AM
i totally disagree

sometimes you get one time to touch the best ever

coach him up
2/1/2017 11:14 AM
Personally, I think Kickers and Punters are extremely underappreciated. If you can constantly rely on 3 points or reversing field position, it's well worth the investment.
2/1/2017 11:55 AM
1. Never concern yourself with your Punter doing Kicking duties. In fact, I recommend it 100% of the time. I never recruit a Kicker... only Punters. The extra roster spot is better used somewhere else.
2. Never RS a Kicker or Punter. Waste of your precious RS resource.
3. I felt really silly numbering my points for only two points. So I'm doing point #3 here.
2/1/2017 12:14 PM
Back in S123 in Wilkinson, I landed a Sky's the Limit top-notch kicker named Hector Buck. I took a different road and instead of redshirting him, I decided not to recruit a punter for his SO season, so that he was receiving 200% PT, as he was punting and kicking. He was by far the best kicker I've ever landed and it definitely paid dividends. Oddly enough in his SO-SR seasons, I set the max FG distance at 65 yards, but he never ended up attempting one longer than 59 yards for his career. Anyway, he ended up tied for 5th for the most FGs in a season. It's a beautiful thing when you can bank on your team scoring at least 3 points when they cross the 50 yard line.

Player link -> https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerRecordProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=10667353&tid=51193&rid=13&season=124

And his growth/ratings:
2/1/2017 12:35 PM
Posted by orangepace on 2/1/2017 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Back in S123 in Wilkinson, I landed a Sky's the Limit top-notch kicker named Hector Buck. I took a different road and instead of redshirting him, I decided not to recruit a punter for his SO season, so that he was receiving 200% PT, as he was punting and kicking. He was by far the best kicker I've ever landed and it definitely paid dividends. Oddly enough in his SO-SR seasons, I set the max FG distance at 65 yards, but he never ended up attempting one longer than 59 yards for his career. Anyway, he ended up tied for 5th for the most FGs in a season. It's a beautiful thing when you can bank on your team scoring at least 3 points when they cross the 50 yard line.

Player link -> https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerRecordProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=10667353&tid=51193&rid=13&season=124

And his growth/ratings:
First off Gt's post was hilarious even though I disagree. To piggyback off of OP here and what CJ said Iam of the opinion Special Teams in general are under appreciated. Use the RedShirt on him. He's STL. It's not gonna cost you anything and not only that the contributions of his position will outweigh potential contributions from another position you would have redshirted instead.
2/1/2017 4:49 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 2/1/2017 12:14:00 PM (view original):
1. Never concern yourself with your Punter doing Kicking duties. In fact, I recommend it 100% of the time. I never recruit a Kicker... only Punters. The extra roster spot is better used somewhere else.
2. Never RS a Kicker or Punter. Waste of your precious RS resource.
3. I felt really silly numbering my points for only two points. So I'm doing point #3 here.
I agree with Everything Gt_Deuce said here.
It is a total waste of a redshirt. All you want the kicker to do is be accurate and kick FG's. Who cares if his attributes get to be the best in GD history or not as long as he does his job and does it well.
That redshirt is best used elsewhere.
But if you go the route where your punter is doing the kicking , then I would make sure and put a good amount of his practice point into kicking.
2/1/2017 5:06 PM
Opportunity cost is a real cost.
2/1/2017 11:27 PM
I also fully agree with Deuce. Especially on point #3.
2/2/2017 9:35 AM
I would probably prefer to have a kicker and no punter than a punter and no kicker. Either way I would never use a redshirt on them.
2/2/2017 12:01 PM
Redshirt him. Your P can cover as a K. P makes better K than a K makes as a P.
2/2/2017 1:14 PM
I say RS him, anytime I see an STL I will slap an RS on him. To me the offsetting benefit of RSing this K is that you should have a great K who will be able to handle both P/K duties for 4 seasons. That more than negates losing 1 RS for one season.
On a side note: WIS, double the amount of players we can RS to 6. I almost always use my full allotment of 3 RS's. I still see 3-4 players that rarely see the field every season. imo if each coach had 6 RS's every season and used them it would greatly narrow the talent gaps that exist in GD. It would make rebuilds even more fun and interesting too.
2/2/2017 5:46 PM (edited)
I do not believe GD will let you redshirt the only player at his position.
That is the only reason I still recruit kickers.
Because when I only have a punter and have to take on a sim, GD will "help" me by giving me a sim Kicker.
2/3/2017 3:59 PM
12 Next ▸
Redshirting "Sky's the Limit" kicker? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.