That team I referred to at the end of my first post, the team with 6-8 mil in coaching every season and the best overall major league players. Best team in the world over the long run. Won multiple, multiple WS. Never finishes worse than 5th or 6th overall. Does he have the worst coaching at nearly every level? A/ Probably or B/ Pretty sure he doesn't give a ****.

2/3/2017 3:55 PM
Posted by NickKappel on 2/3/2017 3:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/3/2017 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Still wasting resources. I'm sure you agree in your 130-170 minor league players that maybe a dozen will be significant contributors at the BL level. And that's if you're spending money on HS, College or IFA. You aren't getting an 83 HC in HiA. So you pitter-patter over 68 or 62. Maybe you put an extra 100k to get the best HiA HC. And you do this several times over. Or you could just put that 2nd year player in AA with your 74 HC.

I'm not even going to get into BL coach salary waste. If you have a team full of BL players still developing or quickly declining that MAKES you have the best coaches, you've done something wrong.

6-9m is fine if you don't mind having a 82 HC instead of that 91.
I typically budget $10-12M (sometimes $14M) for coaches. But this actually makes sense. If your ML players are at the age in which they are no longer developing, what's the point of paying for good coaches at that level?
That's why I asked him to explain why BL HC/PC were 2nd most important behind FI. They simply aren't. On most teams, players are almost fully developed by the time they hit the bigs. Having a 91 as opposed to an 82 doesn't even register on the important scale in that case. Good coaching can slow decline but, if you're loaded up with 33 y/o position players and 38 y/o pitchers, you're already screwed. And, more than likely, you've got some bad contracts to pay so you need that coaching money.

People who are frustrated with coach hiring just don't understand how to de-frustrate themselves with knowledge and common sense.
2/3/2017 3:57 PM
Like I said, to me it feels like a make-work project. You can bust your *** trying to do the "best" at something, and there's no tangible evidence that doing the "best" at it has substantial benefit. Lots of owners punt the minors because they don't win anything for the minors. Well, what do you win for coach hiring?

2/3/2017 4:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/3/2017 6:44:00 AM (view original):
"for the **** they put us all through"?

No one has ever forced me to play any sim games. I am truly sorry that they found out where you lived, sent a group of thugs to your house and forced you, probably at gunpoint, to purchase HBD seasons.

You should contact the authorities. I'm almost positive that was illegal.
I'm counting on you to save me. Hair dangling out the window of the tower I'm being held in. Waiting............
2/3/2017 4:19 PM
I've done $13 Million every year and usually have the best at every level. But also, I have 12 rookies on my MLB team this season and probably 5 out of the other 13 are still developing so I like good coaching at the Big league level. I will rethink the $13 Million though because it sounds like you also don't need much more than 10. Another thing I have found is Rookie coaches are worthless and Low A too. Any good players that are worth worrying about their development usually get drafted at a rating of 50+ which I think is too good for Rookie and Low A.
2/3/2017 4:19 PM
Posted by damag on 2/3/2017 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Like I said, to me it feels like a make-work project. You can bust your *** trying to do the "best" at something, and there's no tangible evidence that doing the "best" at it has substantial benefit. Lots of owners punt the minors because they don't win anything for the minors. Well, what do you win for coach hiring?

You don't have to have the "best" coaches. You just need to have good coaches.

My goal is to try to be no worse than top half in the world for each role and level, based on primary discipline IQ, with a couple of other factors considered.

For example, if the third best HC at AAA is a 75, and the 12th best is a 71, I'm fine with getting a 71. I'm assuming that the difference between a 71 and a 75 is going to be marginal. I just don't want to get stuck with a 47.

Once you level-set your wants and expectations, the stress/work to get there is greatly reduced, and coach hiring is just a minor irritant.

I'll also add that a suggestion that I've made in the Suggestions Forum was for WIS to provide a "report card" for coaches at the end of coach hiring. Whether it be an individual grade for each coach based on his ratings and the level he's at, a grade for all your coaches together at each level, or an overall grade for all your coaches throughout your entire organization, that could be helpful. Some feedback would be better than no feedback at all.
2/3/2017 5:13 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.