Recruiting Battles Topic

In the window between the start of recruiting and signings begin, are the guys that turn green guarantees? Or should I still be throwing visits their way to make sure they stay green until they sign? I really don't want to lose the guys that have turned green already, but just not sure if its safe to quit spending money on them, or how quickly someone could flip them (if at all?) if I do stop.

And I have one guy who has sent me the message "just say the word and I'm there" but is still yellow between me and another user controlled school. Would both of us be getting the same messages? Or does that message mean I'm good? I assume I need to keep spending money until he's green too, but not really sure whether to trust the message or trust the colors more...
2/2/2017 7:26 PM
Green means he is yours, but good to check to see if someone jumps in on him later.

Yellow depends, but in the case you stated, sounds like he is leaning your way. I would still recruit to knock off other guy.

Trust the colors, but the messages can be good indicators.
2/2/2017 7:58 PM
You can trust the color, but the messages mean nothing (fluff) until the signing cycle. Then you will get one specific to your scholarship offer that will tell you which way the player is leaning and you usually get one that will tell you when/if it changes after that.
2/2/2017 9:47 PM
Thanks, so to be clear, just because he's green doesn't guarantee he'll stay green? It is still possible for someone else to come in and flip him until he signs...in that case would it always go to yellow for a cycle first? would there ever be a time I have a green guy just immediately turn red?
2/2/2017 10:02 PM
Yes, that can happen.
2/2/2017 10:38 PM
Posted by efrisbee on 2/2/2017 10:02:00 PM (view original):
Thanks, so to be clear, just because he's green doesn't guarantee he'll stay green? It is still possible for someone else to come in and flip him until he signs...in that case would it always go to yellow for a cycle first? would there ever be a time I have a green guy just immediately turn red?
green doesn't have to go yellow first, can go to red and/or signed in one cycle. but that's very rare and you might never see it happen.

i would say dont spend more money on your green guy. you can if you want, someone else could turn him yellow but probably not. especially at d3

i think the messages from the yellow guy indicate more how much effort you've put into him, but don't tell much relative to the other school.
2/2/2017 11:26 PM
Its all about money/effort. Sometimes you get a guy turned green with just an AC scout, and if no one else goes after him, he will stay green and you can sign him. If another guy goes after him, it will be easy to "flip him" to yellow, or even red on just one recruiting cycle. In other cases, you my have a guy who is green and you have put a LOT of effort into him....but another coach is doing the same thing. It will be harder to turn this recruit, but can be done.

So...you have to "guess" a little bit and try to outfox your recruiting opponents. If its a guy you really want, and you got him green on the cheap...you may want to "add a little insurance", in order to avoid the scenario in which another coach spends only a few dollars just to see what happens...and he turns yellow. Then that coach knows he does not have a big battle on his hands and might throw more money out there.

ABOVE ALL: do not spend all your money before the signing cycles.....you need to keep "some" in reserve.

Hope that helps.
2/3/2017 8:03 AM
harriswb3 's post is an Excellent short course in Recruiting. I wouldn't change a thing. Read it and Take It To Heart.
2/3/2017 8:52 AM
thanks all, I appreciate the feedback
2/3/2017 10:10 AM
Some good info here.

One thing that has always confused me, and something I just experienced. How some coaches are able to have so many yellow players at the first cycle. Players who had 3 sims on them and now also consider the human team. A scout visit won't turn that player yellow, so it has to be campus visits? Which is expensive/risky, especially at Div 1AA, and you only have 10 scholarships.

Probably not explaining myself well. Just happened in one of my leagues. Sent the guy a pm because I was curious how he did it but he didn't respond :(
2/3/2017 3:13 PM
Well I don't blame them for not responding. I don't talk about specific recruits during recruiting and I definitely don't pm anything. You're right it's risky to send CVs right off the bat because how do you even know the recruit's potential?
2/3/2017 3:18 PM
Posted by mdodge13 on 2/3/2017 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Well I don't blame them for not responding. I don't talk about specific recruits during recruiting and I definitely don't pm anything. You're right it's risky to send CVs right off the bat because how do you even know the recruit's potential?
The pm I sent had nothing to do with asking about specific recruits.
2/3/2017 3:28 PM
Posted by soupyjoe on 2/3/2017 3:28:00 PM (view original):
Word. I just stay away from pm'ing anything during recruiting. However, this is my personal approach.
2/3/2017 3:37 PM
Posted by mdodge13 on 2/3/2017 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by soupyjoe on 2/3/2017 3:28:00 PM (view original):
Word. I just stay away from pm'ing anything during recruiting. However, this is my personal approach.
I just want to learn :)

2/3/2017 3:57 PM
I'll offer a little perspective beings at times I'll jump on numerous recruits the first cycle. Typically those recruits are studly and within my 360. If I look at a lb who is much better than my second best option and I feel regardless of potential he will be a contributor then I'll go after him right away. I don't go after guys like this outside my 360 and there's also some guessing going on as d1 teams routinely take the top d1aa talent. This recruiting cycle there were 4 guys I went after like that and I'm actually going to let one go to a conference mate since I turned a similar talent guy green for very little money.
2/3/2017 6:06 PM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting Battles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.